City Pigeon visited my apartment (and my cats found her/him before I did) - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 4th December 2007, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieTJ View Post
Trying to feed her right now.

SHE SQUEEKS!
Babies squeak...........you must have a young bird there. THAT might why the cats got to it AND that might be why it appears to be starving (according to poop description)..........any chance of pictures?
Also, that could be why you saw places where feathers were missing. Maybe it's not fully feathered yet? Notice any yellow downy looking hairs anywhere on the body?

Posted 4th December 2007, 06:02 PM
Go here and look at the pictures to see if you can pick an age for this squeaker:

http://www.speedpigeon.com/baby_racing_pigeon.htm

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 06:12 PM
Her squeak was her first sound ever, sorry, I got excited. She is more interested in the cat food. I was nervous opening her mouth; her beak is so tiny and her nostrils are soft. I got a little bit of food in. Then she got fussy. So I took her back to her room. Then when I tried to reach for her again, she sat down in front of the dish and pecked at me. She hasn't pecked at me thus far... I tried reaching for some food to do it again and she started pecking into the dish. She is now with her dish in the room. I put down a few blankets so that she won't poo on the carpet. She's walking much better. I am thinking a little bit of alone time with the food will be good. As she seems interested and pecked into the dish.

The neighbors were no luck; no scale. It's disturbing how so many people I've told think pigeons are dirty.

I will try weighing her with the cup method. I have a paper latte cup from this morning, will this suffice?

Posted 4th December 2007, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
Babies squeak...........you must have a young bird there. THAT might why the cats got to it AND that might be why it appears to be starving (according to poop description)..........any chance of pictures?
Also, that could be why you saw places where feathers were missing. Maybe it's not fully feathered yet? Notice any yellow downy looking hairs anywhere on the body?
I am checking the site and looking for yellow. BRB

Oh, goodness, a squeaker. And will run around the corner for batteries or use my phone, for pictures. She must miss her family, poor thing.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 4th December 2007 at 06:18 PM..
Posted 4th December 2007, 06:46 PM
Because the top of her beak (closer to her head) is lighter than the tip (brownish/dark), I'd say she is closer to three months?

Are there any pictures in between that? Is that really a squeaking age? Pics coming soon. (No yellow, a lot of white underneath)

And that has been the only sound she's made. And it was her first real feeding. If that means anything.

Pics, coming...
Posted 4th December 2007, 06:59 PM
They only squeak for about the first two months. They look pretty much like an adult for the second month.

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 07:07 PM
i'd just go with what Pidgey says to dose, he's one of the experts here!
I'd say a latte cup will work though, if you want to try it like that!
Pigeons are no more dirty than any other wild animal. Diseases, well, i found out recently that there are 65 diseases you can catch from a dog, how accurate that is, who knows, but the point is people seem to think of pigeons and rats as the only animals you can catch a bunch of diseases from.
I used to think the same thing, then i got educated from the fine folks on here! Even the CDC says there has been no documented cases of people catching diseases from a pigeon. some people are allergic.
There is some worry of people with AIDS and immune problems catching something. Just use proper hand washing, like you would with anything, and you'll be fine!
Posted 4th December 2007, 07:27 PM

pictures (test)

The lighting is not so good, her having to be on the floor, the time of day, the camera, and my lack of skill:

OK. I am still waiting for my doctor friend.

Pidgey,

PAWS also said that because the bird was caught by the cats that something else could be wrong. The thing is, there are a lot of Pigeons here. And they live amongst a lot of the buildings, etc. I live in the historic district, lots of tight old brick buildings and parks with large maple trees.So, it is an attractive area for birds. The building on the corner had to put up fake owls as a deter. It's been raining and cold, some snow a few nights ago. I leave the back window cracked about three inches. There are flower pots in the window without any foliage, but still with soil. I live right across the street from a park which is often with a flock of pigeons. There is also a random gentleman who feeds them on occasion. Even this morning, when I went to get coffee, the pigeons were right on my buildings door step. But, of course, I don't want to rule any condition out. PAWS' wildlife sanctuary said, if a test came back positive, that they would euthanize, because they didn't want to jeopardize the wild birds at their facility.

Oh, and two weeks ago, from the kitchen window opened at 4 inches but with an herb garden in the flower box, a sparrow visited. But this time, the cats never got to the bird, as I was home. And immediately rounded them up.

I recently fed the crows/seagulls some bread from the front windows. I sat the bread on the ledge and closed the windows. I will no longer do this now... just in case.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 4th December 2007 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: more pics
Posted 4th December 2007, 07:36 PM
Older squeaker. Younger birds have a terrible time of learning to feed and drink water, sometimes. Let's try this--hold a cup of water in front of the bird and then push his head down gently till the beak is partially in the water. Do it slow and gentle. Let's see if he's thirsty.

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 07:51 PM
Augmentin (amoxicillin-clavulanic acid) would the ideal antibiotic to use for Pasteurella infection. Did you already get the antibiotic from your friend?

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1764.htm
"In most cases, a beta-lactam antibiotic such as amoxicillin combined with a beta-lactam inhibitor is the appropriate choice for treating P multocida infections. P multocida is sensitive to penicillin, ampicillin, amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, ticarcillin, piperacillin, cefuroxime, doxycycline, and the fluoroquinolones. P multocida is sensitive to most antibiotics but is resistant to macrolides."

good guide on antibiotic choice for pasteurella:
http://prod.hopkins-abxguide.org/pat...tanceId=255940
Posted 4th December 2007, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
Older squeaker. Younger birds have a terrible time of learning to feed and drink water, sometimes. Let's try this--hold a cup of water in front of the bird and then push his head down gently till the beak is partially in the water. Do it slow and gentle. Let's see if he's thirsty.

Pidgey
Yep, that's what I've been doing since this morning, but I have to dip her nose just a little (not to her nostrils) and then she continues on her own. So far, every two hours or so, I've had to initiate. Still, even if I put it in front of her she wont, until I dampen her beak. It's quite sweet to watch.
Posted 4th December 2007, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabina View Post
Augmentin (amoxicillin-clavulanic acid) would the ideal antibiotic to use for Pasteurella infection. Did you already get the antibiotic from your friend?

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic1764.htm
"In most cases, a beta-lactam antibiotic such as amoxicillin combined with a beta-lactam inhibitor is the appropriate choice for treating P multocida infections. P multocida is sensitive to penicillin, ampicillin, amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, ticarcillin, piperacillin, cefuroxime, doxycycline, and the fluoroquinolones. P multocida is sensitive to most antibiotics but is resistant to macrolides."

good guide on antibiotic choice for pasteurella:
http://prod.hopkins-abxguide.org/pat...tanceId=255940
I am still waiting. I will try phoning. If his phone is on, he's on his way. If not, he's still at the hospital. I will ask for both. I hope he hasn't left yet.

Thank you, Sabina.

Update: phone was off (still at the hospital), left a message asking for augmentin and stated why. I am sure he will comply.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 4th December 2007 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: Phone was off
Posted 4th December 2007, 08:02 PM
I'm a little confused about the bird's injuries. If there are no puncture wounds, how would the bird be so injured that it can't fly/is limping/falling over? Hmm I suppose the cat could've shaken it around? I would definitely suspect the bird is sick on top of the injuries, as PAWS said, given the cats were able to catch it, plus the behavior you're describing.

Sometimes injuries can be hidden in the feathers, and can be missed if not examined very closely. Getting the bird wet helps a lot in visualizing the skin. A little bath would also help get rid of the mites the bird has. Granted, it's a little traumatic for the poor bird, but it would help to know exactly what you're dealing with, esp if not going to see a vet soon.

I can't believe it's so tough in other cities to get people to take care of pigeons! We are very lucky to have the Wild Bird Fund here (rehabbers who examine and treat pigeons). That is just terrible to have to work so hard to even find someone willing to help.
Posted 4th December 2007, 08:06 PM
Hi PixieTJ,

I'm down in Kent, about an hour south of you. I have Clavamox and powder for bird mites. I'll PM you my phone number if you want to try to connect.
Posted 4th December 2007, 08:09 PM
Clavamox and Augmentin are the same medication, Augmentin is the brand name in people, Clavamox is the veterinary form.

Yea!! TerriB to the rescue!

Tags
bacterial infection, beautiful birds, bird seed, female pigeon, feral pigeon, fully feathered, heating pad, male pigeon, male pigeons, pet store, pigeon club, pigeon fanciers, pigeon racing, racing pigeon, tail feathers, wild bird, wild pigeon, wildlife center, young bird