City Pigeon visited my apartment (and my cats found her/him before I did) - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 4th December 2007, 10:33 AM

City Pigeon visited my apartment (and my cats found her/him before I did)

Hi,

I woke up early this morning to what sounded like my cats fighting. When they would not come when called, I searched them out. They were in the back room guarding a pigeon (a smaller sized one, perhaps a teenager?) and the room had many feathers. I immediately wrapped the pigeon in some towels and shooed the cats out. I then found your site, while heating the pigeon by keeping it close to my chest as, one handed, I researched what to do.

The pigeon is unable to fly and is limping. I checked under his/her feather's and found some very thinned out pinkish areas from where the feathers are missing. I dressed these areas with peroxide. Should I also add neosporin? I also followed the advice here, and mixed a cup of water with a pinch of salt and a small squirt of honey. The pigeon is drinking fine; however, is not eating. The store was closed. Is open now, however, the selection is limited until I walk uptown. I live in the heart of the city, so around the corner there really is just a mini-mart with basic grocery items (perhaps some frozen peas). I've tried corn chips (sorry, it was 6am and the store was closed) and un-popped popcorn. I do have some very healthy dog treats I will try next. Is there a trick to getting a Pigeon to eat?

I made a hot water bottled and bundled the pigeon up. Then, I walked the dog and went in search of a straw (McDonalds), as recommended here, to make a cast for the Pigeon's leg; the Pigeon is sensitive when I try to diagnose his/her leg's condition. This is the only time he/she escapes my care and tries to flap his/her wings while limping in the direction of the window--I think he/she was in the flower bed, for the night, when he/she decided to come in? That particular window over looks the alley at about 30 feet up...

Once I returned and tried to put the cast on the pigeon's leg, I found that the pigeon was no longer as sensitive, however, is still limping. I think it is not broken but sprained pretty bad.

I've tried feeding the pigeon, but he/she shows no interest. Is there a trick? And because he/she can't fly and is limping, I have the pigeon in a box, wrapped up in a towel, next to a wrapped up hot water bottled. Is this OK? I don't think a wing is broken, as they still fold and neither of the two hang down? On second thought, I am going to unwrap the pigeon and make sure, one last time.

I am concerned about feeding. Also, the pigeon looks fairly healthy -bright eyes, nice feathers, a youthful glow- but is it possible for me to get sick?

Last edited by PixieTJ; 4th December 2007 at 10:43 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th December 2007, 10:55 AM
Pixie, welcome to the forum and thank you for taking this pigeon in - although it sounds like he just made himself at home!

So far, as I quickly read your post, you're doing a good job in caring for him. However, it is pretty critical that you get this pigeon on an antibiotic as quickly as possible. Cat bites can be fatal to pigeons even within a 24 hour period.

Can you take this pigeon to a veterinarian or even to a wildlife rehabilitator who may have antibiotics?

What city do you live in? There may be a member near you who can help.

PS - This is a link where our Administrator, Terry, tells the kind of medicine to use.

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showpo...76&postcount=2

Last edited by Maggie-NC; 4th December 2007 at 10:58 AM..
Posted 4th December 2007, 11:14 AM

Oh, My, goodness. Yes. I can take the animal asap.

I live in Downtown Seattle/Pioneer Square. I don't drive, but there is an emergency vet 15-20 min by metro (5 miles).

I am vegan, so I have lots of beans, nuts, etc... But he/she won't eat. He/she almost fell over trying for the dog treat, which I crunched up (leg may have a fracture). I have him/her, again, wrapped up. I will take him/her, once the neighbor comes home, in 15 minutes, to pick up her puppy.

Posted 4th December 2007, 11:49 AM

Update

The vet does not treat birds, and no one is allowed to treat wildlife, I'm told; however, they can fill a prescription. I am on the phone trying to get a human being at PAWS. PAWS, says, more than likely they will euthanize a pigeon, because they need to protect other birds at their facility from a particular disease often carried by pigeons. They did recommend a lady named Shirley, who is way N. of Seattle, in Snohomish, who may be able to help. She has a fancy for pigeons. I am going to call to see if she can fill the prescription, more than likely, it sounds like I will somehow have to find a way up there. But so far my friends think I am nuts. They just don't get it, I guess.

Does anyone know a Shirley in Snohomish at Second Chance Wildlife Center? I left a message describing the situation. I hope I hear back soon.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 4th December 2007 at 11:55 AM..
Posted 4th December 2007, 11:51 AM
Pixie, please contact the vet and explain what has happened to the pigeon and see if they will see the bird. DO NOT LET THEM PUT IT TO SLEEP - many will but cat bites are easily treatable. Also, some vets will treat free of charge if it is a wild bird.

I can't stress enough the importance of getting the pigeon medical attention.
Posted 4th December 2007, 11:58 AM
Pixie, sorry our posts crossed. I just hate it when vets have that attitude.

I don't know how far Kent WA is from you but we have a member who lives there. I will send her a PM and alert her to this thread.

I have never heard of the Shirley that you mention but maybe if you contact her she can refer you to someone nearer. I don't understand how a vet can say they will fill prescriptions - I mean, who would you get the prescription from if not a vet! I don't think even a licensed wildlife rehabilitator can write a prescription.
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:08 PM

How do I get the medicine!

I am so upset right now. They have the medicine, but aren't allowed to dispense it to wildlife. I am calling other vets. I just contacted a bird vet and left a message...They telephoned back and I said it was my pet. How do I tell a boy from a girl? We have an appointment at 3pm, is this too late? They also cannot prescribe antibiotics over the phone to new clients. Will they believe this is my pet? How can I make sure? I can get in to trouble, I am told.
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:11 PM
That a vet can fill a prescription means that they carry the medication. Usually, getting the prescription in the first place is what's tough to do. A prescription in this case can be thought of as a temporary license to buy a specific quantity of a (semi-) controlled substance--that's what it amounts to.

As it happens, the easiest drugs to use for the most likely bacteria to take the bird down (Pasteurella multocida, common to cat's gums) are going to be Amoxicillin or Amoxicillin plus Clavulanic Acid (Augmentin, Clavamox, Synulox and a buncha' other names). If you can get or have any of that, we might be able to start the bird on that and get that worry out of the way, at least.

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:14 PM

Yes, please, contact the member.

Kent is not too far. I can take the bird by metro. It would be an unnecessary loss if this animal died, when medicine is available, but not attainable. Vets are not allowed to prescribe medicine to wildlife.
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieTJ View Post
Will they believe this is my pet? How can I make sure? I can get in to trouble, I am told.
Chances are, they're confused about the definition of "wildlife". Most birds are, in fact, covered under a law dealing with their treatment that doesn't allow unlicensed people or rehabbers to keep and/or treat them. According to that federal law, sparrows, pigeons and starlings don't count. Therefore, it doesn't apply. However, there's an awful lot of misunderstanding about that virtually everywhere you go and many veterinary clinics have the same misunderstanding. Pigeons don't count because they're not a native species, same as starlings. So, legally, you can't get into trouble.

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:20 PM

Hm,

I have Azithromycin. I am allergic to penicillin and have a bad earache right now. I just started my treatment yesterday. Will this work?
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:21 PM
Occasionally, there are city ordinances against keeping pigeons which is another thing entirely. I don't know if Seattle has something like that or not, not many places do.

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
Occasionally, there are city ordinances against keeping pigeons which is another thing entirely. I don't know if Seattle has something like that or not, not many places do.

Pidgey
I don't think they do, because Seattle allows up to 4 laying hens per household.

Yeah, and people get confused when I tell them that Pigeons came with us as a food source from Europe. Grimey.
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:31 PM
Azithromycin isn't the most commonly used antibiotic for pigeons although it works very well for some things. Gotta' research it. In theory, if you're using it for you, you need to finish the course prescribed.

Pidgey
Posted 4th December 2007, 12:35 PM
Pixie, I don't think 3 pm will be too late. Right now, there is no good way to tell if your pigeon is a girl or boy.

The medicine you mentioned is one I have not heard of so I would be cautious about giving it to the pigeon. Hopefully, you'll be fixed when you see the vet at 3 pm.

I have sent TerriB (the lady in Kent) a PM. I'm not sure if she works or just how long it will be before she logs in to the forum but she is very, very nice and loves pigeons a lot.

Tags
bacterial infection, beautiful birds, bird seed, female pigeon, feral pigeon, fully feathered, heating pad, male pigeon, male pigeons, pet store, pigeon club, pigeon fanciers, pigeon racing, racing pigeon, tail feathers, wild bird, wild pigeon, wildlife center, young bird