Daily Feedings of Ferals - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 4th October 2007, 08:10 PM
Hi again,

I seldom get something to post two days in a row, but something happened today that I would like to share. While feeding the pigeons, three older Korean folks stopped to watch, each smiling while watching. They did not try to get the birds to go to them by holding out their hands. They seemed content to watch as the pigeons ate from my hands. Soon, I noticed a piece of thread handing from the foot of one of the birds in my hand. My friend, who was beside me, noticed it also and placed his hand over the back of the pigeon, then picked it up and turned it over on it's back. Sure enough, several feet of tough thread was wrapped around both feed. It was easily removed from one foot, but was too tightly wound to undo it from the other. I carry, for just such occasions, several tool in the bag along with the food. A pair of scissors, a file, a pair of tweesers, handy wipes (for the occasional accident, hehe!), and a small plastic case with various tiny tools which may prove useful. Well, while the three Koreans watched, I took out the scissors and after several minutes of careful manipulation, cut the thread away from the pigeons foot. As I put the thread in my pocket, the three observers began to clap their hands and were definately impressed that I should take the time to free the bird of its unwanted thread. I was surprised that such an act would cause the obvious approval of the bystanders.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the pigeon, from the time it was picked up, to the time it was released (about three or four minutes),did not attempt to escape or struggle at all. It just layed on it's back peacefully waiting for the thread removal operation to be over. Then, when it was released. it returned to the flock and continued eating as if nothing had happened at all. The other birds watched the whole time and it did not phase them that one of their own was in the hands of a human. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Oh well, have a great day and continue doing that which you do so well..... caring for pigeons.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 4th October 2007, 08:30 PM
Great story. I appreciated reading it. Thank you.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 4th October 2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, that was very cool.

TOOTERVILLE

Posted 5th October 2007, 01:05 AM
Thumbs up

WELL DONE, MIKE!!

Thank you for posting your "adventure!" You are certainly a CREDIT to pigeondom!!

Hugs and Scritches to ALL

Shi & Squeaks

Posted 15th October 2007, 01:12 PM
Hi Mike,

Nice Work..!

Get some thin blade Cuticle Scissors next time you are at some med supply or drug store...the very thin blade kind, one can slip the point of the blade paralell to the winds of the thread around Toes and so on, and lift a little and snip the Thread then, allowing the Tweezers to have a thread 'end' to grasp for gently unwinding in whatever direction it needs to go.

'Neosporin' is good to have also for some of these, where once one has all the thread/hair/filliments off, one can massage in a liberal amount of the Neosporin as a nice final gesture.

Sometimes skin or scar tissue has grown over deep winds, and these winds will pull out in un-winding just fine, pulling through the scar tissue or other grown-over-aspect, if slowly and patiently and to make sure one is going in the right direction, and it has to be done of course, so...the Neosporin is a nice final topical antibiotic to use.

Best wishes!

Phil
Las Vegas

Tags
feral flock, feral pigeon, homing pigeons, racing pigeon