Feral Pigeon Turning Her Head in a Weird Way? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 9th February 2008, 09:46 AM
Hi Pidgey, John D and others,

The pigeon with twisting and turning of her head upwards has been coming to eat each day since my last post. I just got her. She is in a plastic cat cage and I am not sure what to do. I had watched her during the last couple of days. The symptoms of turning her head around and up into the air come and go. She had difficulty coming to the terrace door where I would place the seeds but when she did get there she was able to pluck and swallow with no problem. She does not seem to be underweight, as far as I can tell, and her crop seems to be relatively full. After I caught her and had put her into the cage, she seemed to have gone into a shock. She was lying there still with her head twisted up motionless. However, right now she seems to be fine and is standing on her feet. I am not sure if it was a good idea to capture her. I hope she does not have any babies out there. But at the same time, I was worried that when her symptoms act up that she might fall, get run over by a car etc. I have seen her fall off from a cabinet on my terrace as she was trying to come down to eat while twisting and turning her head upwards.

Please... any thoughts or advise would be appreciated from anyone!

Last edited by ante bozanich; 9th February 2008 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th February 2008, 01:09 PM
I think it is good you took him in. He wouldn't have a long life out in the wild with those symptoms.
You can offer him some seeds, seems like he can eat on his own. As for water, I heard horror stories where PMV pigeons drowned during a "fit". So best you offer him water a few times a day and watch him when he drinks, then remove the bowl.
You can offer him some heat for now.
It sounds like PMV and there is no medicine for it, just let it run it's course.
The symptoms seem to aggravate when they are stressed btw.

Reti
Posted 9th February 2008, 02:26 PM
I have two in my loft that have occasional fits and there's no way they could evade a predator for long. Yes, that sounds more like PMV to me than anything else.

Pidgey

Posted 9th February 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks Reti and Pidgey,

Now, thinking about it, I am amazed that she was able to survive in this condition out there since the first time I saw her which is over three weeks ago.

My only worry now is that she or he may have two youngsters out there waiting to be fed. I don't wont to be possibly saving one life while endangering two. But my question then is, would in this condition a pigeon be mating, laying eggs and raising babies?

Anyway, earlier today, after I brought her in, I had put the cage at a place where she could see the other pigeons eating. She ate for at least five minutes. I did not see her drink so I had tried to drip some water on her beak. She did swallow some of it. Most of the time she is lying in her cage still with her head on the ground twisted to the side and her beak upwards. There are already about ten droppings in the cage. They are relatively small and look normal, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by ante bozanich; 10th February 2008 at 01:51 AM..
Posted 10th February 2008, 05:10 AM
It is always a worry if they have babies out there that need to be fed. Let's hope this is not the case with your new rescue. I forget where you live, but if it is cold where you are and considering s/he has been sick for a while it is unlikely. Even if, lets say s/he had babies, probably s/he passed on the virus and the babies wouldn't make it.

Reti
Posted 10th February 2008, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reti View Post
Even if, lets say s/he had babies, probably s/he passed on the virus and the babies wouldn't make it.
Reti
It is possible she has babies, but not likely considering her degraded state. Also, you would see her coming back and forth to eat if she was feeding young when she was outside.

Posted 10th February 2008, 08:09 AM
Well, I had only watched her for a few days before I took her in. She did come to the terrace couple of times per day but not back and forth as I've seen some of them do.
Posted 10th February 2008, 08:10 AM
PS I guess, I'll never know for sure.
Posted 10th February 2008, 11:29 PM
This is exactly what my rescue's head position looks like most of the time when she is resting inside the cage:

Link
Posted 10th February 2008, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ante bozanich View Post
This is exactly what my rescue's head position looks like most of the time when she is resting inside the cage:
Good thing you have her in and safe, then. Hopefully the symptoms will resolve with time and care.

Terry

Posted 11th February 2008, 04:07 AM
Oh, poor little birdie. I am so glad you were able to catch her and s/he is safe now.
S/he should get better in time, it might take a while though.
Best of luck.

Reti
Posted 11th February 2008, 05:47 AM
Considering that right now it's 10F and feels like -8F outside (New York City), I think she is lucky indeed that I was able to catch her.

I suppose, since she does not have diarrhea or any other perceivable symptoms, this neurological problem of "star gazing" is a later stage of this disease from what I've read. I just hope that this is not a permanent condition in which case, it seems, she is going to have to spend the rest of her life with me indoor.
Posted 11th February 2008, 06:00 AM
Sometimes they do have recurring symptoms, as Cynthia has mentioned, it is best to keep them inside and under supervision for a long time. They may show no symptoms at all until they are stressed due to the cold, or lack of quality food, and the environment itself.

Thank you for caring.

Posted 11th February 2008, 08:14 AM
She really looks like a homer with that nose, and a beautiful one at that. I wanna' say that she's a ringer for Feefo the Beautiful, a PMV bird that Cynthia had. Just look at Cynthia's avatar:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/member.php?u=560

By the way, you're going to want to be real careful with water for this bird. It's possible for them to drown when having a seizure so make sure that you don't have water in there in such a way that she can get her head in it.

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 11th February 2008 at 08:28 AM..
Posted 11th February 2008, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
She really looks like a homer with that nose, and a beautiful one at that. I wanna' say that she's a ringer for Feefo the Beautiful, a PMV bird that Cynthia had. Just look at Cynthia's avatar:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/member.php?u=560

Pidgey
Actually, I think that is a picture of Feefo .. http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/ and http://www.pigeon-aid.pigeon.net/pmv.htm and that Ante just posted the picture as an example of how the bird she has is holding the head and the posture of the body.

Terry

Tags
adult pigeon, feral pigeon