Intervention from Pigeon massacre. - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 7th February 2008, 05:00 PM
You said you had never heard of safflower. If there is a Tractor Supply around you they sell it in the bird seed sections. Someone else said to feed them whole corn. My birds personally love whole corn. Good luck with getting this awful person to justice!!
Now Whoooo are the stupid ones i ask you?
But that is just my totally corect opinion
TAKE A LOOK AT MY GOATS:
http://zimmermanboergoats.hobby-site.com
CHECK OUT MY PICTURES:
http://community.webshots.com/user/zimmzimm3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th February 2008, 01:53 AM
Red face

Wow! I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly, i'll try to respond to as many posts as I can...

For starters, yes I am speaking of Arizona revised statutes, as far as Animal Cruelty goes it does say that you cannot prolong the suffering of any animals, etc etc.But as far as I've seen his shots kill the poor birds instantly, and unfortunately arn't pigeons classified as pests? Wouldn't that make them an exception? I don't know...if anyone does fill me in.

As for the firearm portion, I read on the ARS that pellet guns are an exception as well.

Anyways, I'm not about to try and jump out and snap a picture of him, but I will call the police if I see him running around with the rifle again. Other then that I don't know what else to do.

As for the grass seed, It's organic stuff I'm pretty sure, But I wouldn't want to poison the little guys. As for the popcorn, I fed them the unpopped stuff, they all came by today and loved it.

I haven't seen the kid out and about recently, but his schedule does seem random, probably when he's bored or something, I don't know. I'm a busy person myself. I'll just have to give the PD's non-emergency number a ring when I get a chance, Don't want to get into trouble for falsifying and 911 calls now. :P

As for suggested contacts, I already emailed Maricopa County Animal control, I'm just awaiting a response.

** EDIT ** Arizona Revised Statutes further state that you can discharge a firearm for "For the control of nuisance wildlife by permit from the Arizona game and fish department or the United States fish and wildlife service."

IS their no hope

Last edited by Enrico; 8th February 2008 at 02:00 AM..
Posted 8th February 2008, 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl View Post
Can you possibly get pictures or a video of him and turn it into the police or humane socieity there? If you can you could bring up the concern,
"If he can hurt and kill an inocent bird then he can hurt and kill a human" If he flips you off again call the cops I know there is something out there they can do about that. I think it is obscene jesture or something along those lines. You could go after cruelty to animals, discharge of a fire arm in a residential area. The list could go on. You could even go for a public arrest if warranted.

Cindy
By public arrest, I'm assuming your speaking of a citizens arrest. That isn't allowed unless a felony, and usually with a victim, is being commited. IE, Rape, Murder, Robbery. Etc.

Also, I don't think that line "if he can hurt a bird, he can kill a person" would fly too well with the police, if that was the case wouldn't exterminators be mass murderers? Just saying...not necessarily that I think that way, just probably what their response would be.

They'd probably just turn their heads to some kid with a BB gun shooting pigeons. ugggh

Posted 8th February 2008, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl View Post
If he flips you off again call the cops I know there is something out there they can do about that. I think it is obscene jesture or something along those lines. You could go after cruelty to animals, discharge of a fire arm in a residential area. The list could go on. You could even go for a public arrest if warranted.

Cindy
You're right Cindy, it is an obscene jesture. But I don't believe it would be categorized as putting someone in harm's way. I honestly don't think the police are going to respond to an 'obsecen jesture' call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post
* Wow! I wasn't expecting so many replies so quickly, i'll try to respond to as many posts as I can...

For starters, yes I am speaking of Arizona revised statutes, as far as Animal Cruelty goes it does say that you cannot prolong the suffering of any animals, etc etc.
But as far as I've seen his shots kill the poor birds instantly, and unfortunately arn't pigeons classified as pests? Wouldn't that make them an exception? I don't know...if anyone does fill me in.

** As for the firearm portion, I read on the ARS that pellet guns are an exception as well.

*** Anyways, I'm not about to try and jump out and snap a picture of him, but I will call the police if I see him running around with the rifle again. Other then that I don't know what else to do.

As for suggested contacts, I already emailed Maricopa County Animal control, I'm just awaiting a response.

** EDIT **
**** Arizona Revised Statutes further state that you can discharge a firearm for "For the control of nuisance wildlife by permit from the Arizona game and fish department or the United States fish and wildlife service."

IS their no hope
* We take animal cruelty complaints very seriously & will do what we can to make things right for the abused.

** Your link to the ARS Statute didn't appear.

*** Wouldn't want you to do that. If you are able to get a picture WITHOUT putting yourself in harm's way, that would be great.
Yes, calling the police is the best move.
If you haven't already done so, I would call the police & file a complaint. That way, it will be on record.

**** Having a permit is one thing (which I seriously doubt that he holds). Shooting at will, in a neighborhood, is quite another.

Please keep us updated.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 8th February 2008, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico View Post

..... . . . . but I will call the police if I see him running around with the rifle again. Other then that I don't know what else to do.

** EDIT ** Arizona Revised Statutes further state that you can discharge a firearm for "For the control of nuisance wildlife by permit from the Arizona game and fish department or the United States fish and wildlife service."

The key information is "by permit". I can almost guarantee that this person does not have a permit and most likely if you live in a city, will not be able to get a permit. Depending on the velocity of the shot coming from the bb or air rifle, he may be over the legal limit to discharge said device w/in the city limits. Most places require that you have a safe backstop to contain the rounds that are shot and up in the air is not a safe backstop.
If you city has home rule, like many cities in Colorado, the city ordinances can actually be more strict than state ordinances particularly when projectile shooting devices (air guns, bow & arrow, firearms) are the object of control.
I cannot help that I was born without a golden egg . . . . . . .
So when you walk by me, please look me in the eye.
If it would come down to it -- would I live or die?

-- Joyce Glass

Flitsnowzoom

Last edited by flitsnowzoom; 8th February 2008 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: to make it more "pc"
Posted 8th February 2008, 09:38 AM
There are several examples of arrests from the news regarding people firing pellet guns on public property. The 'firing into the air' law applies here, even to pellet guns.
Posted 10th February 2008, 01:26 PM
I have some immature idividuals who throw rocks at the birds and I call the cops.
We have Shannons Law, not sure what all it covers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him.
Posted 10th February 2008, 04:53 PM
Just to reply to the feeding question: all pet supply stores and most grocery stores carry bags of wild bird seed. Some also carry pigeon and dove mixes. We buy big bags to feed the pigeons on our roof and they of course love it, plus it's very good for them! We also put down fresh water daily.
Good luck with helping out the pijies!
Sabina

Tags
animal control, bird seed, dove mix, injured bird, injured birds, pigeon poop, wild bird, wild bird seed