Meet Maggie - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 23rd September 2007, 06:18 PM
I really would like to go with something that is needle-less, if possible. Is there any way I could put these meds in drinking water? Just curious because I can't see how I'll be able to open that beak of hers to get that medicine in.

I'm trying to keep her as long as I can. The condo's working fine. She seems to like it and I have a kid tent for her to exercise in. Right now she's in the bedroom so she's retired for the night. She really does go there on her own once night falls, like she knows it's her bedroom. Bizarre but funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd September 2007, 07:14 PM
Thank you so much for rescuing Maggie. She is a lovely girl.

Margaret
Posted 23rd September 2007, 07:17 PM
you can buy the syringe with the needle on it, and take it off. and it is legal to buy syringes here in MA.
Garye, since you are here by me, could i count on you for a ride the next time i need something taken to New England Wildlife in Weymouth? I've had trouble getting a ride, and thought since you are an animal lover maybe i could count on you? Arent you only 30 miles away?
Anyways, off subject, just thought i'd ask.
Nice set up you have though Garye.

Last edited by xxmoxiexx; 23rd September 2007 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: edit

Posted 23rd September 2007, 07:24 PM
Oh, Garye, if you need some Flagyl (the canker med), i have some here! Let me know, you can come pick up some, at least enough to last you while you wait for more. I MIGHT have baytril too. What have you guys decided this bird needs right now?
Anyways, let me know grye, maybe i can trade you meds for a ride or something? But if you need the meds ASAP, come get them either way!!
Posted 23rd September 2007, 08:04 PM
Moxie, Weymouth is a bit too far from me now. I go to school after work. This is my first pigeon that I've decided to try and take care of. I don't even know how well I'll do with her. If you were closer - like a town closer, yeah, it'd work out. I could then even get my friend to help you out once in a while if you were located closer. It's just too hard now. We both have busy lives and now we're fitting in this pigeon into our lives. Well, I'm pushing her into this pigeon's life - she's reluctant about it, but she may change her mind in the future.

WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING AND WE'RE SCARED.

Sorry, it just came out. But so far Maggie's adapting well to her condo. Just checked in on her and she's still in her bedroom.
Posted 23rd September 2007, 08:21 PM
yea, tell me about it. I work 60 hrs week, go to school, and i DONT have a car, so it's twice as bad. So when i get these rescues, it disrupts my whole life to say the least.
Well, i still need a ride, and so far the rehabber has dissapeared, everone i know with a car is away on vacation, japan, NYC, or doesnt have a car, etc etc.
I waited a week for this vet to return, only to have the rehabber tht was going to take me bail. I tried to get New England Wildlife to agree to meet me at the train stop with the goose, and they said no.
Meanwhile, the soonest i could potentially hitchike a freakin' goose to weymouth is tuesday, as i have class and work tomorrow. NEWC is closed wednesday and thursday. I even posted an ad on craigslist to get a ride there. And i really dont want to hitchike, but i might have to take the commuter rail there and walk the mile or two.
So, if you have time, or think of anything, let me know. Its really important now.

Last edited by xxmoxiexx; 23rd September 2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: edit
Posted 23rd September 2007, 08:56 PM
It's best to get needle-less syringes. I've got disposable ones w/needles and
they just aren't the same as the ones manufactured w/out the needles. In fact, the needle is well imbedded into the plastic....I suppose if you sanded the
tip and made sure it was smooth, though that is alot of work when they can
be gotten w/out.

None the less, I will do my best to send you something easy that you can deal with in terms of medicating, Garye. In the meantime, you might want to look
over this link just to be sure, whether dropping in a pill or crop medicating,
you will still need to open Maggie's beak. You can bird burrito her as Dr. Schuckman calls it and this will keep her wings from slapping you to the ground
for helping her :

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=15696

Moxie, do you have baytril on hand?

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 24th September 2007, 05:48 AM
Maggie may not throw me to the ground but she does snap at me when she's upset. I was trying to make up her bed in her bedroom and she snapped at me. It was time for bed and she wanted to be in it. I finally finished and sure enough she went right in to it. When it's time for bed - My God, it's time for bed and Maggie will let you know it! She can snap!

But I'll try it.
Posted 24th September 2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, once a pigeon learns not to be afraid of you, they aren't shy about making their desires known!
Posted 24th September 2007, 04:03 PM
I really despise the embedded needle syringes. "They" tell me at the vets that they're easy to get out but I've never been able to do it.

Garye, I do think you can pick up some needle-less syringes at a drugstore. It is really easy to medicate them. Once you take the plunge, just open the beak, put the syringe past the air hole and depress. You'll be a pro in no time.
Posted 24th September 2007, 08:14 PM
Garye, i can show you how to do it, and you can get some meds while your at it. What town are you in?
I'm gonna post a thread in the mnorning, but the goose has been transported, thanks to AMOONSWIRL AKA Karen on here!
She's AWESOME! Thanks Garye, i do understand, but if you still need help let me know! I can show you a few things, and give meds for maggie, i'd like to meet her anyways! Let me know what town you are in first though///
Posted 24th September 2007, 08:18 PM
THAT'S GREAT NEWS ABOUT THE GOOSE, Moxie!!

A HUGE HUG TO YOU AND KAREN!!

Shi

Posted 24th September 2007, 08:46 PM
Look no more, Garye, a needle-less syringe is on it's way and will
arrive by noon tomorrow. Hope someone will be there to recieve it ...

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 24th September 2007, 10:23 PM
Great news about the goose, Moxie! Karen .. thank you so very, very much for helping with this!

Garye, sounds like you are getting what you need from FP and also have Moxie there for help/advice if needed.
Thanks for the assist, FP!

Terry

Posted 25th September 2007, 04:13 AM
I'm sorry Moxie about not being much help to you in your situation but my father died and I have been trying to help keep up my mother's house. They are from the Depression era and they saved just about everything. I've been doing all of the yard work, the cleaning inside the house, and now I'm trying to upkeep the porch. I put in easily anywhere from 2 to 4 hours of work on my mother's house after work every day and then I'm squeezing in school. On top of all of this, my mother's depressed about losing her husband. She depended on him for everything. I've had to show her the basics on how to take care of a vehicle because Dad did everything so she didn't know. It's just a ton of work.

My car is so small I don't even know how I could've transported a goose but who knows? Maybe it would've worked out. Again, I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you but my schedule is so tight that I have to literally schedule and assign hours for everything in advance. And then Maggie came along. I've gotten her care down to an efficient time for now.

Maybe in the future when we're more settled here I can be of more help.

Tags
feral pigeon, hawk attack, heating pad, sunflower seeds