Meet Maggie - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 23rd September 2007, 01:19 PM

Meet Maggie

She was out with the ferals and a hawk attacked her. I managed to shoo the hawk away. Maggie could run but she couldn't fly. I managed to get her in my place and I made her a two-room condo. She has a sunroom/kitchenette and a bedroom. Maggie prefers the sunroom during the day but retires to the bedroom on her own at night. Strange noises at night make her want the quiet and seclusion of her bedroom at night. There is a window in the bedroom but Maggie likes it better shut especially at night.

No vet here will treat her without putting her to sleep. She holds both wings up well but can't fly. I've bought a kid's tent for her to get her exercise in during the day time so it won't mess up my place.

I'm going to try and keep her. She eats normal, drinks, and of course poops normal. It's just her wing that's messed up. But we'll see how it goes with the two of us.

Last edited by Garye; 9th September 2009 at 09:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd September 2007, 01:23 PM
You might try holding her steady and then rotating both wings up in the folded position one at a time for comparison. Sometimes, Paratyphoid will affect a shoulder and limit the available motion. If the range of motion is seriously limited (and you can feel it--it's pretty obvious) then sometimes they never get to where they can fly again.

Pidgey
Posted 23rd September 2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for helping Maggie out, Garye. Did you happen to notice any signs
of illness in Maggie before the hawk attack? Do you have any means of
weighing Maggie and tracking her weight? You know the drill around here...did
you check inside her mouth for any unusual growths, colorations, or odors?
How are the droppings looking? Have you checked closely for any puncture
wounds? Would be good to get this bird onto some antibiotics if the hawk
actually broke skin in the attack. I can mail to you if you have none on hand.
A heating pad on low under the box or adequately covered in the living area may also be a comfort to her if you
have on hand.

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla

Posted 23rd September 2007, 01:54 PM
Garye, your Maggie is lovely and what a wonderful home she has.

Can you check her carefully to see if there are any talon wounds? We got one in, I think in July, who had a fairly deep wound from a hawk's talon and the vet put her on Baytril for about 10 days plus we applied a creme called Silver Sulfadene to the wound a few times a day. It healed well but it does take time. JJ stayed in the house about 6 weeks before everything was healed. When we first put her in the aviary she could not fly but after about 3 days is doing wonderfully well - can't tell her from the others now.

I hope you can keep Maggie. I like the name too.
Posted 23rd September 2007, 02:01 PM
Great rescue, Garye! Here's hoping all will go well for you and your Maggie!

Terry

Posted 23rd September 2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Garye!

Gee, the name "Maggie" sound soooo familiar...where have I heard that name before??? Love the name and I'm sure I'll remember where I've heard it one of these days!!

Meanwhile, Squeaks and I hope for all the best. With such a lovely new "home," I'm sure Maggie will be MOST comfortable! Welcome to pigeondom ownership!

Of course, all of our rehab members will be behind you 100% and with their help, Maggie will be in great "hands!"

Please keep us posted with frequent updates on her progress!

Love, Hugs, Scritches and Healing thoughts...

Shi & Squeaks

(Darn! I almost remembered about the name. Was on the tip of my tongue!)
Posted 23rd September 2007, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=mr squeaks;228070]Hi Garye!

Gee, the name "Maggie" sound soooo familiar...where have I heard that name before??? Love the name and I'm sure I'll remember where I've heard it one of these days!!

You're not thinking of our Maggie-Lady Tarheel?

Reti
Posted 23rd September 2007, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Reti;228073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr squeaks View Post
Hi Garye!

You're not thinking of our Maggie-Lady Tarheel?

Reti
YES, OF COURSE! Thanks, Reti! I KNEW the name was familiar!

(NOTE: Just in case...I was just being funny. I always thought that our site Maggie is my "long lost twin" sister because we seem to think so much alike!)
Posted 23rd September 2007, 03:01 PM
Hi Garye,

Congratulations on your 1st rescue and upon offering her a home!

thank you so much for helping her.

Posted 23rd September 2007, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Would be good to get this bird onto some antibiotics if the hawk
actually broke skin in the attack. I can mail to you if you have none on hand
You may have to mail me those meds, feral pigeon, because when I say they have nothing here, I mean they have nothing here. I'll pay for them of course.

I'm keeping an eye on her. I didn't see any puncture wounds. She walks real well, eats well, drinks well, poops well - just can't fly. Again, I'll keep an eye on her.

She just loves that sunroom. She can see everything going on outside without anyone bothering her.
Posted 23rd September 2007, 04:17 PM
Garye, why don't you pm me w/your information....

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 23rd September 2007, 04:36 PM
Let me look around for the meds. What should I get? Can they be ordered off the Internet? If so, where?
Posted 23rd September 2007, 05:00 PM
Usually, folks have meds on hand for rescues and when they get a hawk
attack in they start on meds right away in the event that there is a puncture
wound that has gone undetected. It really needs to start within the first couple of days to catch the unwanted exposure to bacteria introduced from
the tallons.

You can get most of the items that may be needed though to get the full
variety, it would cost some money up front. Here's a link to the Pij Supply
Houses:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9455

Baytril
Doxycycline
Canker meds
Coccidia meds
wormers

These are good things to have on hand. Specific for the hawk attack, I'd
go w/Baytril + Metronidazole combo. You'd need to place the order by
phone and ask if it can get to you in expedited shipping by Tues. at the
latest. If I shipped tomorrow, it would get to you by Tues. I believe.

fp
Posted 23rd September 2007, 05:47 PM
Gary, I would also pick up some 1 cc syringes (diabetic type) that we use for giving medicine. They can be washed thoroughly and used again and again. You can pick up a few at any drugstore. Q-tips are great for putting on salve and things like that.

For one pigeon, you won't need great quantities like we get so I would keep that in mind.

Are you planning on keeping Maggie?
Posted 23rd September 2007, 05:54 PM
You actually might be able to get a 1cc needle-less syringe at a local
vets office for a buck or under. If not, sometimes the drugstores sell
droppers w/marked gradations on the side.

You may or not need these dependant on the format that you get the
meds in.

fp

Tags
feral pigeon, hawk attack, heating pad, sunflower seeds