Need Help in Hudson County - N.J !! PLEASE? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 18th December 2007, 08:36 PM

Need Help in Hudson County - N.J !! PLEASE?

Hi Everyone.
I nearly got evicted for my two birds so I cannot keep the one I found on the ground 4 days ago (I could not leave him there - I live on a min street in a high pit bull area) -- PLEASE if someone can suggest something --- he's a beautiful, sweet , docile young pigeon that cannot yet fly. He is very chubby and his feathers are immaculate but he just flutters and cannot fly. He tries. There does not appear to be anything wrong with his wings at all --- he is spending a lot of time in the pet carrier because of my two dogs and two other birds. He's eating seed and has been drinking a little water and he is just a doll I wish I could keep him. PLEASE someone help --- I know his flock are the birds across the street from me in the park -- I dont know how long it will take to rehab him or even if I can .. it would be so great for him to go back with the flock he comes from after learning to fly -- PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS OR I WILL HAVE TO BEING HIM TO THE WILDLIFE REHAB WHICH IS VERY FAR FROM MY AREA.
PLEASE CONTACT ME AT: [email protected]

Thanks in advance,
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th December 2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Zehyah and welcome! Thank you so much for assisting this pigeon. If you could narrow down your location to a city or nearby city, that would be very helpful. We may have a member or two close enough to assist. Could you post us some pictures to aid in determining just how long this one might need to be cared for?

Terry

LokotaLoft
Posted 18th December 2007, 08:58 PM
just remember this time of year is the worst being that it is so cold here in NJ and he would surely need a base place to rely on for food if you did release him/her even when with a flock ... they do grow fast and can become selfsustainable when 8 weeks of age but would need a garenteed place to be fed at for life suport cuz without that they can go downhill faster then a whirlwind on any given day

Posted 19th December 2007, 10:54 PM
Arrow

Hi and thanks --- I'm working on the pic's -- sorry for the delay, camera broke -- I have some experience and know he's not a baby -- he's very young though young but not 8 weeks for sure -- he's chubby and has a full coat of feathers --- I am in Jersey City New Jersey and he will have an base to be fed because I will be feeding him -- I risk doing this twice a day every single day no matter what the weather or circumstances -- even during my hospitalizations I had friends and family do it for me .. --- I have a bunch of moronic neighbors who make comments and point to the signs saying do not but, I'm not the shyest of people nor the smallest and I'm an animal lover soooo .. I tell them to kiss my a** and they get the point with my commando about animals attitude .. I was spoken to by law once and politely smiled, " I wasn't feeding pigeons, I was feeding sparrows and squirrels .. " -- he smirked and left --- I have so much too say about feeding these precious creatures but it's nothing you all don't already feel yourselves -- I'll work on pic's and thanks again for any help -- I know my dogs won't hurt him but I worry about my two very aggressive birds .. thanks again.
Posted 21st December 2007, 09:52 AM
what kind of birds do you have? The 2 birds?
Can you keep this bird a few more days until we can find a place for it?
Does a moderator or someone know of a member nearby? Could a bird this age be shipped?
Posted 21st December 2007, 10:35 AM
I have him isolated in my daughters room but i live in a 3 room apartment so everyone's terribly cramped including 100lb german shep .. we don't mind if its for the sake of this poor baby and i intended to keep him til i can find the best solution - problem is landlord has to do some work and i keep stalling him .. I would be evicted if he knew i'm still doing my rescue stuff ......... and the only way he gets to do stuff in the apt is when i put all animals in daughters room .. so its become a problem -- its a week now and he shows no signs of knowing how to fly at all .. none .. and thanks so much for your offer but i would never ship an animal .. hes terrified of us as it is .. thanks for any input --- still trying to post the pics thanks again ... i might have to take him to the wildlife refuge soon -- they euthanize if the bird shows signs of not being able to fly and i cant bear thinking that
Posted 21st December 2007, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the site. . .let me tell you I (and many others on here) know EXACTLY what you're going through, with the apartment and the manager coming and all that fun stuff. I live in a place now where I can have allllllll my pets, but those apartment days were pretty much awful at some points. What worked best when the manager or maintenance people came by, was to set up the date ahead of time and then take some of the animals to a friend's house for the day. This was done after dark the night before so none of the nosy neighbors would tattle. It was kind of a pain, but made it much easier when we had to have a visit to have something fixed or whatever. Just a thought. I hope it works out for you and for the youngster. Keep checking and bump the thread up if you want. People are checking in less at the moment due to Christmas, mostly.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 21st December 2007, 01:06 PM
MaryJane! Thats what i have to do too! I'll have him tell me a date he's coming, and then i'll say something like a friend is staying overe, so dont barge in or you might find him/her naked! (although this may cause SOME landlords to do just that!)
Then i'll smuggle them all out. Although, i have had to take a pigeon/cat and put it in a drawer in a closet real quick and just HOPE they dont make noise! I have found pigeons in complete dark usually will shut up. Cats, thats another story. I usually feed the cats sooo much, so they kind of go into a food coma! LOL!
I hope this helps! Dont take the squeaker to a wildlife place, just hide it while the landlord is there! If you hold on a bit longer, it may start to fly soon!
Recently, my landlord wanted to spray for bugs/mice, and i told him my roommates sister would be here with a newborn baby and we didnt want to risk it with a baby around!!
Posted 21st December 2007, 03:16 PM
A few years ago I had to ship a whole bunch of birds to safety to rescue them from being poisoned by the management of my building. The maintance people used to come in to change the A/C filter, make repairs, or spray with the bug spray. I use to hide the birds while I had them in the closet and they were quiet in the dark.
Now, I don't do that anymore and my birds are in a room of the partment. When someone comes over they are quiet, as soon as they hear a knock on the door or hear strange voice. The cats, disapear instantly too when we have people around excpet for Chelsea, who won't come out from under the table anyways, so many people don't notice her.
Can't you put the bird in a closet, in a box or carrier covered with tha towel? S/he should be quiet. In the worst case you can say you are baby bird sitting for a friend.

Reti
Posted 21st December 2007, 03:31 PM

Re:

The place I put my pets -- my two birds (landlord ok'd only one) and my two large
dogs is the bedroom - where the baby is staying presently and closets are out of the question --- i don't have anyone to help me since friends and family are not understanding of my passion for animals --- I have health problems and they judge me saying I take too much upon myself (but then they don't help me - hypocrites) anyway, I thought of every excuse in the book and then some -- trust me I've used them all - I've been fostering and rescuing for a loooong time .. If I had any options, I wouldn't be on here asking for help ..... If this bird would fly i could bring him back to his flock across from my apartment - like I mentioned in an earlier post, he would be fed everyday -- but hes not trying -- just standing all day on the bed .. looking very useless but very cute.
Posted 28th December 2007, 02:28 PM
Arrow

Re:

Would someone tell me if they know of a pigeon sanctuary in New Jersey?? I really have to find a home for this baby asap or bring it to rehab and it cannot fly -- thanks !!
Posted 28th December 2007, 02:35 PM
I just sent you a PM...........
Posted 28th December 2007, 08:23 PM
You can contact Gretchen and see if she is near enough to help or can perhaps refer you to someone. Check the Pigeon Resources Directory here: http://www.pigeon-life.net/prd.htm and then scroll down to the NJ entries.

Terry

Posted 28th December 2007, 08:43 PM
could you possibly bring the bird into Manhattan to Animal General on Columbus Ave and 87 St. Their phone is 212-501-9600....ask for Rita, Karen or Gloria.
Posted 28th December 2007, 09:26 PM
Arrow

Re:

Thanks -- I will try all you suggest. This bird is big for a baby ... I tried posting a pic but it was too large .. he can't fly or I'd bring him back to his flock across the street from my building where I feed them daily ... I would really like him to join his own but shows no signs of learning to fly .. i'm so confused but I cannot safely keep him much longer .... he's soooo cute !!

Tags
baby bird, feeding pigeons, male pigeon, pigeon resources directory, white bird, white pigeon, young pigeon