Pigeon with hole in his neck (urgent) - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 7th December 2007, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieTJ View Post
Thank you. I will make some calls. I need to catch him. If I don't, he is going to starve to death.

Stupid question: does the food sit in the crop? Or does some food go down?

Thanks.
It depends in part on where the gash is--if it's lower in the crop, then less sits in there and he'll have more problems getting food down his piping. If it's higher then gravity can do some of the work while he's more upright.

Pidgey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th December 2007, 03:14 PM
Mainline to Monica:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/member.php?u=2729

Pidgey
Posted 7th December 2007, 03:16 PM
Hey Pidgey - thanks. Wish I knew how to do that!

Posted 7th December 2007, 03:18 PM
Well, all you gotta' do is go to one of Monica's post, put your pointer (with the mouse) on the actual "Monica" beside the avatar picture, right click, select "Copy Shortcut" and then you've got it so that you can paste it in a post, PM, email or whatever.

Pidgey
Posted 7th December 2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks - I'll try it. You can so teach an old dog new tricks.
Posted 7th December 2007, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
If the wound has been opened for too long, stitching it up might not work as well as you'd think. In such a case, a vet can sew them up and it won't take--it still has to heal the long, slow way. It may require more of a management approach than a "this'll take care of it but quick" kind of way. Here is an example:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=11512

Pidgey
Pidgey, it's pretty red. It is an inch slit open down the neck, to the base. Very red. To give you a picture, it looks like strings of red flesh are holding that side of his crop together. Shiny red flesh, not bleeding red...

I'd be more than willing to do the managed care, if I can catch him. I am thinking it has been open a while. His saving grace is he is large and constantly foraging. I mean, that's how I could get so close to him and why the eat and hide took so long before he got annoyed- he's starving but determined.

I am going to take a walk through the various parks in the neighborhood, where people tend to feed the pigeons and see if I can coax him. It was rather easy to get him that close. But there was a darn van he kept hiding under when I would advance. After an hour of the feed-eat-advance-hide he got annoyed and flew.

On second thought, should I take a walk looking for him? Or wait for a possible return? He knows there is food in the alley. I think he's been coming to my alley, because it services two restaurants[correction: 4 restaurants, a bar, and a mart]. I don't want to scare him off for good. What worries me, is one restaurant -the one below me- turns to a nightclub on Friday nights and may be too noisy for a return.

Maggie, You did say that

Pidgey, I was feeding rice and un-popped popcorn. The un-popped popcorn must have made it down. None left in the alley. Lots of rice was flowing out.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 7th December 2007 at 04:20 PM..
Posted 7th December 2007, 03:45 PM
Quote:
I emailed her. I live downtown, too. Thank you, Maggie and Pidgey.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 7th December 2007 at 04:39 PM..
Posted 7th December 2007, 04:18 PM
Went for a quick walk through two parks. No birds. I am betting he will return, if not tonight, in the morning. I went ahead and opened the window to Opus' former room and put lots of food on the ledge and in the room and shut the door.
Posted 7th December 2007, 04:25 PM
I hope you can catch him asap. The wound is probably still pretty new that's why he is still strong enough not to be caught.
Best of luck with this little one.

Reti
Posted 7th December 2007, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Well, all you gotta' do is go to one of Monica's post, put your pointer (with the mouse) on the actual "Monica" beside the avatar picture, right click, select "Copy Shortcut" and then you've got it so that you can paste it in a post, PM, email or whatever.

Pidgey
Well, I tried it (using your name) but my right click doesn't have "Copy Shortcut" but it does have "Post Link in New Window". I tried that and your profile came up with a number so I guess I'm set to go now.......

Thanks our Pidgey.
Posted 7th December 2007, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reti View Post
I hope you can catch him asap. The wound is probably still pretty new that's why he is still strong enough not to be caught.
Best of luck with this little one.

Reti
Excellent point. You're right, I only know that it's been at least two days, because he has visited two days in a row. I am going back out. Thank you for the luck.

*If I were pigeon starving in Pioneer Square, where would I be*
Posted 7th December 2007, 05:14 PM
It's always hard to say. There have been so many over the years that I could see weren't going to make it but that I couldn't catch and then never saw again. I hate it when that happens.

Pidgey
Posted 7th December 2007, 05:22 PM

If you catch him

PixieTJ ,I think it would be best to keep the injured pigeon in a small cage so that he doesn't have excessive movement. It would seem to help in the healing process if he stays relatively quiet. That's what I did with my two crop injured pigeons. Your bird sounds like a fighter. I hope he makes it.
Marion Springer
Posted 7th December 2007, 05:25 PM
Quote:
It's always hard to say. There have been so many over the years that I could see weren't going to make it but that I couldn't catch and then never saw again. I hate it when that happens.

Pidgey
I hope I can find him. A Gentleman, who flies Homers up in Arlington, just replied to my craigslist ad. His birds get hit all the time and has sewn up many birds. Also, I was sent the name and number of a rehabber who utilizes a pigeon friendly vet's services.

If only I just grabbed him, last night, when I opened the window. ugh. Goin' back out.

Update: took a quick stroll through the neighboring parks (I am surrounded by little parks). It's dark. I hope he returns. Tomorrow morning, perhaps he will return to feed in the alley. This sucks.

I will post if I manage to catch him.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 7th December 2007 at 06:55 PM..
Posted 8th December 2007, 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieTJ View Post
I hope I can find him. A Gentleman, who flies Homers up in Arlington, just replied to my craigslist ad. His birds get hit all the time and has sewn up many birds. Also, I was sent the name and number of a rehabber who utilizes a pigeon friendly vet's services.

If only I just grabbed him, last night, when I opened the window. ugh. Goin' back out.

Update: took a quick stroll through the neighboring parks (I am surrounded by little parks). It's dark. I hope he returns. Tomorrow morning, perhaps he will return to feed in the alley. This sucks.

I will post if I manage to catch him.

Been following this thread........once it gets dark, unless you know where the bird is roosting, you probably won't find him. They go to roost about an hour before dark and stay put for the rest of the night. Good luck this morning.

Tags
animal control, feral pigeon, hawk attack, homing pigeons, injured pigeon, injured pigeons, pigeon feed, pigeon friendly, safflower seeds, sick bird, sunflower seeds, white pigeon, wild bird