Pigeon with hole in his neck (urgent) - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 8th December 2007, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
Been following this thread........once it gets dark, unless you know where the bird is roosting, you probably won't find him. They go to roost about an hour before dark and stay put for the rest of the night. Good luck this morning.
Thank you, Renee. Thursday evening then, he was set to roost in my window. Ugh. If only I had been a little more patient and watched him a little longer, I would have noticed his neck then. And possibly caught him. Well, I made a PTrap (box) and sewed a homemade net using coat hangers, a drum stick, and sheer fabric. I am going back to the two main spots, in the alley, and will be setting it up in a few minutes. Thank you for the luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th December 2007, 08:39 AM
Good luck today Pixie!! I was thinking about him last night too - hope you are able to locate him and glad to hear you go some responses to your ad on Craig's list. Many prayers going out to you & the piji

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/
Posted 8th December 2007, 01:01 PM

Thought I'd update.

It's been a long morning. We've made some progress in our relationship. Some boundaries have been established. I think it is a good thing, because he is interested in coming in- I think. And he's not flying away. However, it has been by trial and error. I am learning a lot from him.

Currently, he is sitting, at the height of my window, about 40 feet over. He's curious and has been watching me place food on the window. I also placed re-hydration solution (cup of water, salt/honey- pinch).

As for the traps I made: When I woke up, the alley was a disaster. Food was everywhere. This made the traps useless, as there was no incentive to visit the traps. And of course, the seagulls did not help. I have been consistently shooing away seagulls. He will not come down from his roof while seagulls are visiting. He did come down for a brief visit. I went out and tried to reestablish some trust. When semi-trust was established, I tried to net him with my handy-dandy net. No use. He flew up to his spot (the spot he's at right now). My net is not so handy-dandy, after all.

I moved the trap-box, then the maintenance crew arrived and cleaned the alley, somewhat. They left the restaurant food stuff in the alley- grimey. I thought it useless to replace the traps- I shouldn't have. An hour later, he returned to the alley and foraged, for a long while, where the initial trap was. (I am naming him Smarty Pants -only teasing. I think he deserves something a little more noble, his wounds and his lasting survival and all) I returned, and he made it clear how close I can visit. I placed more food where I sat watching him. Then a tour arrived, he left, and I returned inside...

This morning he didn't look as good as yesterday. His wound was a tad cakey. My primary concern is infection. His neck/crop is still spewing food. [Anything I can add to his water which will help disinfect his crop?]

Now, he looks a little better. He must've needed a little bit of food and to wake up a little more, because he's perky again. His wound looks red again, and is not as cakey. I've seen him scratch it once.

A couple of problems I am facing: The Underground Tour, tours right by him and through the alley every 30/60 minutes, until sun down. The other problem, the restaurants below will be active pretty soon, and his primary feeding area (and my trap area) is right next to their door. [Every time the tour passes through, he leaves; however, he does not leave when I visit... well, until I try to catch him]

Current update: he's very interested in the window. He is now across the alley, monitoring the window. Two other pigeons have joined him. He looks pretty tattered compared to the others, but in good spirits. He seems to have a gentle quality to him.

That's all I have. I am a tad worn out. The good news is he is still here. [Will, of course, replace traps. I am optimistic.]

Last edited by PixieTJ; 9th December 2007 at 01:54 AM..

Posted 8th December 2007, 07:41 PM
I have been thinking about this little guy. I hope tomorrow he will trust you more and come closer. He probably will need antibiotic and food, rehydration and TLC. Poor guy.
Thank you for the update.

Reti
Posted 8th December 2007, 11:33 PM
I hope you're able to catch him. A longer-handled net is easy to make using a broom handle and a small plastic laundry basket. . .and a little duct tape. I have caught more than a few birds with this set-up, in a pinch. May look a bit silly but it does the job, and is cheap to make. Thanks so much for what you've done for the first pidge and now for Mr. Smarty Pants. It says a lot that he is starting to trust you in such a short time. They seem to know when someone wants to help, they're pretty smart birds. And once they find you, more and more seem to come. I started with a drowning squeaker and now have. . . well, more than thirty lol. Like Reti and many others, I just stopped counting after 30. Good luck!!!

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 9th December 2007, 01:49 AM
Thank you all for your concern and support. I am so worried about him. I feel pretty frustrated. I really want him to survive. I wish there was a simple way to say, "hey, come with me, I'll help you." Some employees of businesses, who share the alley, are also rooting for him. Today, the owner of the mart, my best-friend who thinks pigeons are dirty, surprisingly donated some food. And, yesterday, some restaurant staff helped a bit. Alley Bird really would like to come in, he just doesn't know it yet, which just plain sucks.

The images of his wound creep on me. I've never seen anything like it before and I just want to do something... It just plain sucks that I haven't caught him, yet. Imagining him out there... poor thing. I'm bummed about today but optimistic for tomorrow...

As far as traps go, I have the PTrap. This time I am going to set it up where I pull the string from my window. This way, my being down there won't scare him off. We'll see. If that doesn't work, I have a couple other ideas. Oddly enough, I don't have a laundry basket but I do have a wicker basket. Thank you for all of your suggestions. All ideas are sincerely appreciated. I am new to this... I hope the tape sticks to the wicker. I will make that first thing. I've also thought of tossing a blanket on him, from above, but I don't want to risk crushing him.

And, the last thing I want to do is bring too much attention to him, where someone thinks it's best to call animal control, who will euthanize... or where some stupid human takes notice and decides to be cruel. That would... eek.

Um, hopefully, my next post will be an "I caught him" post and not just another update.

Thank you. He thanks you. Safflower seed dreams to all your Pijis! (I can honestly say, I never imagined I'd have the opportunity to type such a sentence)

-PixieTJ
Posted 9th December 2007, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieTJ View Post
As far as traps go, I have the PTrap. This time I am going to set it up where I pull the string from my window. This way, my being down there won't scare him off. We'll see. If that doesn't work, I have a couple other ideas. Oddly enough, I don't have a laundry basket but I do have a wicker basket. Thank you for all of your suggestions. All ideas are sincerely appreciated. I am new to this... I hope the tape sticks to the wicker. I will make that first thing. I've also thought of tossing a blanket on him, from above, but I don't want to risk crushing him.
We're all pulling for you Pixie!! Only slight pun intended - just to make you smile You are doing a wonderful job (IMHO) - I know it's frustrating though. As others have said - the fact that you've been able to build some trust in such a short amount of time says alot about your "instincts" - and Alley Bird's instincts about you too (smart piji).

A suggestion for the wicker basket -- I'm guessing you're going to try duct tape?? Do you have any string - even old shoelace (or one you don't "making" old)? -- set the wicket backet part way on the end of the pole and thread the string (or something like that to the around the pole) - then duct tape the over the string and pole - it might hold better that way.

The blanket coming down from above might also spook him. What floor are you on in relation to the alley?

Good luck today!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dezirrae/
Posted 10th December 2007, 04:53 AM
Update: It has been difficult. And yesterday was the worst day yet. There was a Seahawks game and with living so close to Qwest field... my neighborhood hosts the fans...

All very promising, at first. While I waited for Alley Bird a seagull visited the trap and a pigeon, too. Then Alley Bird arrived to the scene and I was sure it would be soon. About 9am the restaurants and bars opened up early and the streets and alley had people coming and going. Then the restaurant door swung upon, scared off Alley Bird, and the restaurant's bartender informed me I had to move my trap. This was the worst of it, really.

I moved the trap behind the mart and waited again. Then, the restaurant informed one of the neighborhood MIDs that a transient woman was in the alley-- knowing full well who I was! They were just being flat out j**ks. Thank goodness I knew the MID, otherwise, I could have received a citation for feeding and trying to trap a wild bird, so I was told.

At one point a Seahawks fan decided to relieve himself in my hiding spot where I had been waiting, ready to pull the string to the trap. I had to stand and wait for him to finish before I could move. He apologized.

Alley Bird foraged in the alley maybe four times in total. Before the day ended, Alley Bird was foraging with three other pigeons... missed him by inches. He looked good with his friends. He is usually alone. His wound is not as red, and he seems to be holding in food a little better. I am still very worried there may be an infection.Food is now caking to his crop. and it looks like there are multiple holes in his crop. But it is difficult to tell until we have caught him.

The reason I didn't post an update, initially, is it would have been pretty much a miserable one. Plus, I was beat, disappointed, and really needed to crash.

Well, my adoptive brother came to the rescue, stayed the night, and will be helping in just a few hours. I am pretty sure Alley Bird now knows I am trying to catch him. He was wary yesterday. I've decided to wear a hat, different shoes, and dress differently; hopefully, I will only need to go to the alley to place the trap and then retrieve him. The trap will be placed, defiantly, as I first had it yesterday, with the string up to my window-- it was so promising, yesterday. I hope Ally (thanks Treesa) will visit. I am really hoping we can catch him and get the care needed before it is too late.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 10th December 2007 at 06:05 AM..
Posted 10th December 2007, 05:14 AM
For some levity, here's a picture of happy healthy pigeons I've been feeding, for four days now, across the street in the park:

PS- It is illegal to feed the birds in the park. So what I've been doing is laying the food before sunrise, and then, when I see them from my living room window roosting on the buildings... I go to the park and throw just a tiny bit. yesterday, I didn't have to throw anything down. When I returned after sunrise, they were in the trees waiting. When they saw me they came down. I then get to watch them from my living room window or the alley (giggle).There is usually a reddish brown and a couple of rose colored pigeons, but this picture only, barely, shows one rose colored pigeon. Once I get Ally (thanks Treesa) taken care of -fingers crossed- I will try to take more photos.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 10th December 2007 at 06:23 AM..
Posted 10th December 2007, 05:50 AM
Hi PixieTJ,

Thank you for spending so much time trying to enable a capture of "Ally". Be very careful catching him, once they know the drill, it takes forever to gain their trust again.

Your pictures don't show, perhaps the address link needs to be corrected.

Thanks again for caring.

Posted 10th December 2007, 06:37 AM
Thank you, Treesa. Ally is a good name. I am aware of the trust issue. Yesterday was difficult. I am hoping my brother can help out in that area, as he is new to Ally.

I do have some good news. The cleaning crew is currently pressure washing the alley, which will make it an even better incentive for Ally to visit the trap, as there will be minimal amounts of food scattered in the alley!

Last edited by PixieTJ; 10th December 2007 at 06:40 AM..
Posted 10th December 2007, 06:45 AM
Thanks for fixing the pic. The birds look happy and are probably thrilled to have a new food source.

Glad to hear the alley will be more inviting for "Ally", hope your next update will be what you have worked so hard for, his capture and help for his injury. Thanks again.

Posted 10th December 2007, 06:57 PM
does he let you come near him at all? I have found with traps, that they are MORE wary of any device, object they are not familiar with. Traps never worked for me. I learned how to feed, and slowly throw seed closer and closer until he/she is right under me, and grabbed him quick! There is a few tricks, you must not take TOO long throwing seed closer, or they will fill up and not come closer. When they are very close, stand with your knees bent, on your toes, and hand out. I pour seed close to the bird i want, so all the birds pile in that one spot, and time his head going down to peck seed, sometimes even the other birds wings will cover the intended birds face, and that gives you a few VERY crucial seconds! It does take practice, but that's the only way i could ever do it. Once you try and miss though, your shot is gone for at least that day!
You are AWESOME for taking such an interest all the sudden in the welfare of your feral pigeons! You have a HUGE heart and a beautiful spirit, and excuse me, but SCREW anyone that tells you different! The mainstream opinion of pigeons is the popular one, and none of us here are followers, we have made up our own minds, and i respect every single member here for the "unpopular" stand we all take every day, FOR the pigeons, NOT against them! We refuse to be like everyone else with their "popular" opinions, and someday, I HOPE, people will realize how foolish and ignorant it was for an entire population of people to disregard such a special and greatly unappreciated bird that has done so much for us!
A bird that is the symbol of peace, yet has fought our wars, such a tragedy.
Welcome Pixie, I look very much forward to hearing about all your pigeon adventures and stories in the future! We are in the minority, but as small a bunch as we are, just looking through this forum you realize how much everyone on here does, what a difference they DO make!
Posted 11th December 2007, 10:21 AM
I am sorry to report, Ally has not shown up since Sunday This morning I put lots of safflower and sunflower seeds down at his spot. We'll see... it's still early.

Last edited by PixieTJ; 11th December 2007 at 10:38 AM..
Posted 11th December 2007, 12:05 PM
Ally returned with some friends. I tried to get a photo of Ally but it didn't happen, because I was trying for a good shot of his neck. He came down from the roof for only a short bit. I decided to take Moxie's advice and removed the box this am. Thanks, Moxie. He didn't come close enough to catch; however, his friends did. Perhaps with seeing that he will be more trusting and soon come closer. They loved the safflower/sunflower feed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speeps.jpg (39.5 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by PixieTJ; 11th December 2007 at 12:22 PM..

Tags
animal control, feral pigeon, hawk attack, homing pigeons, injured pigeon, injured pigeons, pigeon feed, pigeon friendly, safflower seeds, sick bird, sunflower seeds, white pigeon, wild bird