Taming a Single Pigeon While In a Flock - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 27th August 2007, 05:19 PM
Here is one more photo of him/her. The wings of the pigeon flying towards the camera frames it very well. Take care.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dru 4 web.JPG (45.3 KB, 65 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd September 2007, 08:52 PM
Just saw these pics tonight. There's no doubt the bird's a juvenile, about 7 weeks old from the looks of it in the photos. It's a tortoiseshell grizzle, likely a t-pattern with lots of undergrizzle and maybe flash grizzle as well. It a bit unusual for the tail to be so dark on a bird like that, and given the chance I'd love to be able to play with it in a breeding loft. It looks to be a feral that simply wound up lucky with someone who feed it and who didn't kill it when it decided to stay friendly. I'll bet the bird is also one that will be "docile" on the nest (that's a simple genetic condition as well) I just hope it manages to make it to adulthood in the big wide world of "evil" pigeon hating people as well.

That bird is like one I had as a boy - it'd be interesting to know if it was wild reared and is the nestmate of the blue also eating, or if they were hand reared by someone and then released into a feral flock
Posted 22nd September 2007, 09:01 PM
Hi Mike, it's been awhile...

How is your beautiful pij doing now? Fine, I hope!!

Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

Posted 22nd September 2007, 09:42 PM
Hi Mike,

I just read the thread you posted tonight. It is great to see you posting again.

You have some good looking pigeon friends in Korea.

The pictures are great and colorful.Thanks!

(From a fellow X-Army guy in the 1/17th Mech Infantry 2nd Division )

TOOTERVILLE
Posted 23rd September 2007, 08:29 PM
Hi All.

You are right Blue, it is a juvenile. When it first appeared with the rest of the flock, it was running around vibrating it's wings and sqeaking like a rubber toy. It is indead a beautiful specimen. I have never heard of a tortoiseshell grizzle, but that seems to fit the pattern very well. Thanks for teaching me the new term. It does not squeak any more, but it is still my favorite for all the pigeons. Og late, they last five or six newest additions to the feeding frenzy have each be quite beautiful, also. White thile a blue barred tail, two very similar mottled black and white, two identical pale brown (red?) and very light grey. Very nice. It seems that the prettiest of the birds seem to show up in late summer, early fall.

Mr Squeaks and Victor, the birds to be doing very well. They meet me each morning with great enthusiasim. I would like to think it is beause the really like me, but I am sure it is because they know I have great morning goodies for them. They are the highlight of my day.

Yes, Victor, I remember the 1/17th Infantry very well. They used to do 90 day rotations to the DMZ with 1/31st and 1/32nd Infantry, I believe, if I remember right. It has been some time since then and you would not recognize Camp Casey or Tongduchon now at all.

Well, all you folks take care and enjoy your feathered friends.

Mike
Posted 24th September 2007, 11:38 AM
Wow that's such a beautiful pigeon,

They sure are lucky to have a friendly person like you feeding and loving them!
Posted 24th September 2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks, FuzzyWings. He or she is certainly beautiful. However, I feel a change is about to occur. When it came to breakfast today, I immediately noticed that something was different about it. After a careful examination, I could not put my finger on what it was. This bird seems to be starting it's first moult after leaving the nest. Perhaps a change of color is beginning. I don't mean a total color change, but there is still a difference and if it is color, it should make itself apparent with time.

Have any of you more experienced pigeon folks even heard of a pigeon changing color upon it's first moult? I suppose it could happen. Nothing in nature is written in stone, I suppose.

Take care, all.

Tags
feral flock, flight feathers, homing pigeons, pigeon fanciers