Taming a Single Pigeon While In a Flock - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted 27th August 2007, 12:17 AM

Taming a Single Pigeon While In a Flock

As I had posted a few months ago, I adopted a small flock of local ferals just because I like to feed them. It started out with a few birds (5 or 6) and now I get as many as forty each morning waiting for me to arrive with breakfast. About a week ago, a new bird arrived. I am assuming it is the youngster of one of the flock. It is a beautiful light brown with light primary and secondary feathers tipped with black and a regular gray with black band colored tail. This guy is so tame it is unreal. He comes to my hand, head, knees, any place he can land. At first it was to eat, but now he will just sit on my arm or head and watch the others eat. He lets me stroke his back and I held one of his wings out for a friend to get a plcture of.

Anyway, the question I have is can a flocked pigeon he tamed to the point of total trust while it has its flock members all around it? I live just across the street from where I feed the flock and would like to take this beautiful guy/gal home to get it away from the influence of the others for a while, but I don't want to kidnap it to do so. I would even like to get it to come visit me on ocassion at home. I know it sounds a bit silly, but does anyone on this board have any ideas as to how I might get this bird bond that much with me while still being a member of it's flock?

I don't know if I have explained my question well enough, but if anyone can help with some thoughts, I would appreciate it.

By the way, this site is awesome. I read it every day, several times usually. Way to go.

Take care and happy pigeoning.

Mike

Tags
feral flock, flight feathers, homing pigeons, pigeon fanciers