Very Very Urgent - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 17th November 2007, 07:34 AM
Gladys, the important thing is that your family tried to save him. At best, a new baby songbird is always "iffy" to raise. Songbirds do differ from pigeons in that their crops are on the side of their necks and can be seen really well until feathers begin to cover it. You might mention to this vet about the crop location and see what they say. It could very well have been an abscess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th November 2007, 02:12 PM
You did all you could, and most of the time it is best to have a vet try their hand. Baby birds, especially songbirds, are very difficult to hand-raise sometimes, even for experienced hands. As you said, the baby was able to pass away while warm and safe, and not out on the cold street. Thanks for trying and doing all you could.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!
Posted 17th November 2007, 02:55 PM
Hi Gladys,

Well, yes...good try...

Infant Altratious Birds, Song Birds or others, can also shut down internally some time prior to conspicuous appearances of decline, or they can rapidly get into troubles from their digestive system having slowed or stopped from chill, and prior foods then fermenting or spoiling in them for not being processed in a timely way...to where in effect, one has already lost them, even though they can coast on a ways still appearing more or less normal.

They are terribly suseptible to chill, dehydration, bacteria in wrong food, yeasts, wrong food itself, and other delicate matters...and all in all are a very delicate business in every way.

They are little more than embryos who have become exteriorised from their priot shelter...embroys who are in a phase of developement outside the 'Shell'..which of course means they are Neonates and not 'embroys' but they remain very embryo-like none the less.

So as Maggie mentions, it is all rather 'iffy' usually, especially if the infant has already suffered some troubles before we get them.

Song Bird and most other Babys 'gape' ( chirp and open their Beak for a moment ) in asking to be fed, and, this is the opposite of Pigeon/Dove Infants, who 'peep' with a closed Beak to announce interest, and feed by inserting their Beak into the Throat of their parents.

Anyway, there is a lot to it...

Chill ( if the infant has been any length of time much less than our own body temperature, or less than about 100 - 103 degrees, so even a 90 degree day they will die of chill if not re-warmed in time ) and dehydration often occur before we get them, and ammending these is critical...and ammending the dehydration aspect with most Species is very tricky since one can not give them Liquids safely...

...and the moisture they need or will get, has to come from tiny bites of moisture-containing foods placed into their Beaks/Throat for them to swallow...nor may one feed them until they are thoroughly warmed again for some time, warm through and through, so once they have got into these troubles, it can be especially delicate and urgent, to bring them back 'up' as soon as possible, otherwise their systems shut down, and a late start might not save them...

Best wishes..!

Phil
l v

Posted 17th November 2007, 03:43 PM
I am so sorry, Gladys!

Cynthia
Posted 17th November 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm so sorry this little one didn't make it, Gladys. I get literally dozens and dozens of little bitty birds like sparrows each baby season, and I can tell you that it is wickedly difficult to raise them to the point where they are eating on their own. Many thanks to your family for doing their best for this little one. As Maggie posted, the lump could have been an abscess, but I wanted to be sure you knew about the crop of these little birds.

Terry

Posted 17th November 2007, 11:42 PM
...their little Crops do not hold much either...and some Species even less...

Who knows, thirty, fourty, sixty feedings-a-day is not improbable...

In Nature, mom and dad spend ALL their time getting food, fly back, feed the Babys, fly off, get more food, cone back, feed the Babys...that is it...

When feeding, after some bites, you see that last bite go down their neck and sort of hang there at the base, and, slowly it sort of continues down...and if it does, then, it is safe to say 'one' more bite, and call 'em "FULL" for now...

Anyway, if one wants to get 'Grey Hairs', raise some truely infant Song Bird Babys..! Oh! You will get nothing else done, there will be lots of pacing and checking and fussing, and worries...and that is when everything goes really well...

Love,

Phil
l v

Tags
baby bird, baby pigeon, digestive system, older birds, pigeon milk, puppy chow, sick bird