Young Pigeon With Eye problem - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Archives > Archive - Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 29th November 2007, 02:35 AM
Thanks Sabina.

I have just realized that it looks like he is not digesting his food since I have found a lot of seed along with the green liquid at the place where I used to find his droppings. There is no other way that these seeds could get there. What's going on here all of a sudden?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th November 2007, 05:52 AM
Make sure to put this bird in isolation, in a warm area, free of bright light, traffic, and noise.

Is his crop staying full, have you checked the crop-felt it? Open the beak and see if there is a bad smell. This may be a yeast infection or another issue. If the bird has had this for more then a few days you need to get help from an avian vet or rehabber asap.

Posted 29th November 2007, 06:32 AM
Well, he's been with me for two month now getting through this Poxvirus infection. He has picked his own spot in my place which is shower curtain rod in the bathroom. He spends most of his time there. He used to fly often into the living room but since yesterday he's been just sitting there. This is probably the warmest and the quietest spot in my apartment. I do like to keep light in there since I want him to be able to get to his food and water dish which I keep in a large plastic container on top of the sink.

There is no unusual smell coming from him or his mouth. His crop is empty so I am starting to feed him formula with the tube. I hope I can make an appointment to see the rehabbers today at the place where I took him first time for the Poxvirus. I don't know of any vet who treats pigeons in NYC.

He is definitely behaving differently all of the sudden.

pigeonperson
Posted 29th November 2007, 08:37 AM
Ante,
Do you know that you can take your bird in for a checkup at Animal General?
They take fecal studies and can tell you what is going on. Birds with avian pox often come down with canker infections but also, they will check the bird for bacterial, yeast conditions, coccidia and worms.. Their telephone number is (212) 501-9600. They take donations if you can afford it but Animal General does as much as any private vet you could find.

NOTE: Please do not use the 212-501-6900 phone # .. use 646-306-2862 for the Wild Bird Fund in NYC.

Note added by Terry.
Posted 29th November 2007, 09:50 AM
Oh yes, thank you. I've been taking there all of my pigeon rescues. The Wild Bird Fund... great people. When I say rehabbers, that's who I mean. I took him there two months ago, when he came in with the wort on his eye, and I've just made an appointment for two o'clock there.

I'm afraid he's very sick.
Posted 29th November 2007, 07:22 PM
Hi Ante,

How did the visit go today?
Posted 30th November 2007, 12:39 AM
Hey Sabina and the rest,

So, about the visit:

1) Fecal lab work came out perfect. No yeast, no parasites, nothing. He weights the same as when I took him in two months ago. According to my favorite rehabber, he looks very healthy. There is still scar tissue around his "pox virus eye," but the eye is fine. He can see with it. So why change in the stool (green and very liquid), his behavior, not eating and drinking? Perhaps stress. I personally think, he wants freedom and is on strike. It seems at this point, it's all about me being able to let go. I wish the winter wasn't coming. I'm such a mother.

After coming back from Animal General, I was exhausted and went to sleep. I just woke up. While I was asleep, he has definitely visited his feeding station. His stool is still green, but there are more unified pieces and they look a bit more solid.

2) This is what I was told about the couple who've been living in my bedroom, making nests and laying eggs: They must be both females. This explains why there were four eggs in their new nest. From their love and nesting ritual, I would've never guessed. I knew female pigeon lays two eggs, but just like with human twins and so on, I thought maybe there was a rare exception.

Regarding huge, bad smelling poop... I was told this is normal with pigeons after they've been sitting on their eggs for such a long time.

So, here again, I'm in a dilemma of "to release or not to release." I have what it looks like two female pigeons acting like a heterosexual couple, living in my bedroom. They seem to be both very content, building their nests, laying eggs, alternately sitting on them, and so on. Neither of them shows any sign of looking for an escape. There is a window and pigeons outside on the balcony looking in, but those two inside seem could care less. One of them is survivor of a very severe case of canker and has a very bad overgrown hooked beak. The other one I took in because I saw some blood on her wing and a lot of pigeon flies crawling on her. The first one... I am not sure if she could survive outside with her hooked beak. The second one would have no problem. However, the first one seemed very unhappy and always was looking for a way out before the second one came in.

So... What am I going to do?

Last edited by ante bozanich; 30th November 2007 at 12:49 AM..
pigeonperson
Posted 30th November 2007, 06:31 AM
Ante,
In the very best of worlds, the bird with the hooked beak is not releasable. If you're describing what is called a scissor beak, there has been a deformation at the base of the beak from the canker. The upper beak is worn down by the action of the lower beak and if they are not aligned, the upper beak will grow longer to the point that this bird will not be able to eat. Birds like this are usually kept and have to eat out of a deep dish. They lost the ability to pick up individual seeds from the ground. I don't know what you are going to do with an unreleasable bird but it's usually a death sentence to let her go back to the streets. Even if you were to get the bird over to Animal General or another vet and they cut the upper beak down, it's only a temporary improvement. This bird would need periodic trimming and for that to be done, the bird would have to be permanently housed. I guess you could say you have a tiger by the tail.

Tags
avian vet, colloidal silver, female pigeon, male pigeon, male pigeons, pigeon flies, pigeon rescue, upper beak, wild bird, yeast infection, young bird, young pigeon

You may also search for: