Any Canadians on here? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 12th November 2014, 05:33 PM

Any Canadians on here?

Any racer or breeders in Ontario on this site?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th November 2014, 06:10 PM
Hi' CBL,
I'm not a 'Canadian' but I've lived in Canada for 46 years. I raced pigeons in Ontario two places, Marmora, with 'Quinte Club' and Sherkston, with the 'Welland Club'
I also raced my pigeons from Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, back in the '90's Birds won TWO Canadian Championships in their Divisions, '97 & '99.
Are you having trouble finding 'Canadians' to talk to about pigeons? or cross border pigeon folks? What about the C.U.
Anyhoo' I'm living down in Nova Scotia now and in the process of fitting a loft and then I'll sit here and quietly enjoy my feathered friends till The Big Dove in the Sky comes a'calling.
Mebbe if you posted a subject/topic? you'd get some more replies, I was just 'surfing' here and saw your 'call'
Posted 29th November 2014, 07:55 PM
Lol Scotty, no I have tons of buddies in pigeons, I have about 6 local clubs near me. Was the official photographer for the Cdn one loft race this season we have BBQ's hang out and talk pigeons, not lonely AT ALL lol, was just curious when I see all the U.S. India and UK, I just wondered if there were any local Canadians on here and if so would come to visit their loft is not too far

Posted 29th November 2014, 09:11 PM
Hi' again CBL, when you say The Canadian One Loft Race? do you mean 'Tony's Race' or Jim's in Brighton? My birds have flown in both when we lived in Ontario.
I just wondered if you were stuck away up in Long Lac' or Pickle Lake, where we placed 14th overall, from the ungodly location of Fort Erie, across the Lake from Buffalo!
I'm now living on the SW corner of Nova Scotia where there are none or maybe some Anonymous fliers, so, I'll sacrifice the thrill of the race for the beauty of my flock flying around the ocean, eating the best proteins on the beaches.
Anyhoo' it's my wife I hear calling me to bed, I grabbed my gun thinking it was a Moose, LoL! take care, Scotty Reid.
Posted 9th February 2015, 04:35 PM
Hey Scottie, yup talking bout Tony Alves. Was there for the season hanging out as he asked me to film the birds but it was way to hard to get the birds flying in from all directions. I had camera on tripod and monopod and even with all ur eyes on the skies the birds would come in so many directions in small bunches that by the time I could swing around and focus they are on the landing board. That is the boring part, fixed on landing board with a pigeon just walking in. Regarding racing, I just cant bring myself to do that. I truly believe that too many birds get lost and killed or die where they drop.

Of 900 birds they started with, they had 12 remaining! They were either given back or auctioned off at end of season. What the hell happened to ALL those other birds? For me, not something I want to be a part of. I even struggle with loft flying mine for fear of hawks.
If there were no hawk threats, my birds would be in the air every day all day lol.
Posted 9th February 2015, 05:21 PM
British Columbia here
Posted 9th February 2015, 07:04 PM
Hi you lol, hubby loves BC, if he had it his way, he would have moved me out there 20 years ago, but I hate the cold and snow. Watch out for Sasquatch tho lol
Posted 10th February 2015, 12:11 PM
Hi' again CBL and 'hotload' Happy New Year to you both.
CBL, you should have asked Tony about me 'Big Scotty' and Bill Bennie too, LoL! I had birds in the race a couple of times and enjoyed the experience.
Birds landing on the loft video?? you should visit the 'Arona Race' website and see them, in the thousands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud8LAxOT_k8

We also sent three birds out to South Africa in 2000 for the Million Dollar Race and that was exciting too.
Anyways, enjoy your birds and I understand your feelings about Hawks, but nature is nature and you wouldn't believe how 'smart' our pigeons are.
I had a hawk attack my birds and they 'split' but, as the hawk closed in on one bird? another would zoom across the hawks nose and distract him. This happend a few times and I was amazed at their savvy!
I've also had them come home, all tore up and had to kill them, it's a hazzard of pigeon keeping the world over. Cheers.
Posted 12th March 2015, 12:16 PM
Wow ya I have heard of that about a male pigeon defending its young and dive bombing a hawk. Too bad u could not save the ones that got injured. I emailed tony just now asking after you

Tags
just lookin for locals