Cock bird mating with multiple hens - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 20th March 2016, 03:06 PM

Cock bird mating with multiple hens

Hi, I have 5 birds, 4 hens, and 1 cock bird. The young cock is mated to one of the young hens and they recently laid their first set of eggs. They both take turns egg sitting and are doing what they are supposed. I've noticed that after mating with his mate, the cock is driving the other hens in the loft. I watched him mate with two other hens,but one in particular, that isn't his mate. He is pursuing two hens, his mate ,and another hen. I know pigeons mate for life and stay with their mate for life, so I'm wondering if it's normal for the cock to mate with multiple hens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th March 2016, 07:27 PM
The males can be Romeos. It is a bad idea to keep single birds with mated pairs. If the other hens lay eggs, he won't usually help them with the eggs or babies, and you will have problems. He will normally only help his mate. It would be a good idea to find mates for the others if you have a large enough enclosure for that many. That or maybe just keep a couple of pairs. They don't always mate for life. Singles can and sometimes do break up pairs, so to keep problems down, having pairs is better.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 21st March 2016, 12:58 AM
Agree with Jay.
Also, keep some fake eggs ready because now if your single hens too lay eggs , cock won't be able to help others except his actual mate and they will have problems with incubating and raising young ones, so as soon as they lay , replace them with fake ones so they sit on them and abandon when they don't hatch. If you just remove the eggs without replacing, they will lay again and won't get a break and it depletes their calcium storage.
Do give them Calcium+D3 as a supplement so they don't have egg laying problems. It is necessary for them.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Posted 21st March 2016, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddy View Post
Agree with Jay.
Also, keep some fake eggs ready because now if your single hens too lay eggs , cock won't be able to help others except his actual mate and they will have problems with incubating and raising young ones, so as soon as they lay , replace them with fake ones so they sit on them and abandon when they don't hatch. If you just remove the eggs without replacing, they will lay again and won't get a break and it depletes their calcium storage.
Do give them Calcium+D3 as a supplement so they don't have egg laying problems. It is necessary for them.
Agree.......................

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 21st March 2016, 06:09 PM
Yes, I have plenty of wooden eggs on hand and some nesting bowls
Posted 21st March 2016, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The males can be Romeos. It is a bad idea to keep single birds with mated pairs. If the other hens lay eggs, he won't usually help them with the eggs or babies, and you will have problems. He will normally only help his mate. It would be a good idea to find mates for the others if you have a large enough enclosure for that many. That or maybe just keep a couple of pairs. They don't always mate for life. Singles can and sometimes do break up pairs, so to keep problems down, having pairs is better.
Thanks for all of the help I will try to acquire a couple more cock birds. So far the mated pair are doing a great job at incubation, but the cock is driving all of the other hens. Makes sense now. Thanks again