Hormonal female pigeon attacking coopmate - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 30th June 2016, 11:48 AM

Hormonal female pigeon attacking coopmate

Hi i have a 6 year old female rescued pigeon, with a crippled wing and she is housed in a large coop with a 9 year old male pigeon. they seemed to get along well for a while in fact they seem to enjoy each-others company quite a bit. i don't want babies so i usually put dummy eggs in my pigeon's nest when she lays eggs.

but i've noticed the male doesn't even seem interested in mating, he likes her and preens her but doesn't reciprocate any time she shows interest in mating. i don't think there's anything wrong with that but there is a problem arising with how my female pigeon is behaving about it.

when he doesn't reciprocate she often gets frustrated and starts pecking at him and has even started to pluck his feathers out, so he has feathers missing on the back of his neck and the base of his tail. it is really worrying me because i don't want him to be hurt

what can i do to stop this? is there some way to make her less frustrated? to get her to stop attacking him when he doesn't show interest? he has plenty of room to get away from her but he just doesn't i guess.

she is very obsessive about nesting, she lays at least 2-3 eggs every month, and constantly sits on them during that time, i think she is still eating and drinking normally but im worried whether or not her behavior is healthy and what i can do if it's not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th June 2016, 02:54 PM
Why is separating them not an option?
Posted 30th June 2016, 09:08 PM
That was my question.

Are you sure she is pulling the feathers out? They do preen each others face and head, so if she is doing that, then that is normal. Maybe the loss of feathers are from something else. However, if she is actually hurting him, then I would separate them. Maybe a little break and he will be more interested in mating. Maybe he's just tired of sitting on eggs that don't hatch.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 1st July 2016, 02:28 PM
i never said separation was not an option. i was just asking if anyone had any idea why she is acting the way she is.

yes i know for sure that she is plucking his feathers out because i have seen it myself.

i will separate them but what if that does not fix the problem should i keep them separated forever or what

he has never once showed interest in mating
Posted 1st July 2016, 02:58 PM
Are you certain that you don't have two females?
Posted 1st July 2016, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Are you certain that you don't have two females?
no i am not certain, though the other has never laid any eggs, has never acted the same as the other pigeon at all, i have no proof that this pigeon is female or male either way
Posted 1st July 2016, 06:27 PM
The is no way we can tell you what she is thinking, or why she is doing that. But sometimes separating does help. Sometimes not. Of course if it doesn't fix things, then you would have to separate for good.
Are you certain that they have never mated? How can you know that? You can't be watching 24/7. Maybe she is just tired of him, and you should get her a real mate.

How large is their enclosure?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 1st July 2016, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The is no way we can tell you what she is thinking, or why she is doing that. But sometimes separating does help. Sometimes not. Of course if it doesn't fix things, then you would have to separate for good.
Are you certain that they have never mated? How can you know that? You can't be watching 24/7. Maybe she is just tired of him, and you should get her a real mate.

How large is their enclosure?
it's very large i don't remember the demensions.

one, i guess they could have but i've literally never seen him reciprocate and i have checked on them often since i work at home

she is not tired of him, she shows affection towards him, she just gets frustrated when she is in the mood. i don't really know what you mean by real mate honestly
Posted 1st July 2016, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
it's very large i don't remember the demensions.

one, i guess they could have but i've literally never seen him reciprocate and i have checked on them often since i work at home

she is not tired of him, she shows affection towards him, she just gets frustrated when she is in the mood. i don't really know what you mean by real mate honestly

She may be tired of him. She may just be showing affection to get him to mate.
By getting her a real mate, of course I meant a real mate..........One that actually wants to mate.

Tags
breeding, feather plucking, female pigeon