How to release - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 2nd April 2015, 11:58 AM

How to release

I have two pigeons I got as squabs with pox long time back.. Today they are healthy adults, I haven't released them since I got them when they were around 3 weeks of age.

I thought I had no way of releasing them, since I live on the third floor of my apartment and I couldn't find any flock to release into. Two days back however, I noticed a small flock feeding at a playground nearby, in the early morning. I am assuming they come there everyday. If so, I would like to try releasing my two healthy pigeons.
Does anyone know of a good site or information on how to do a soft release properly? Step-by-step...procedure.
Many thanks in advance for all advice.
Mine are homers, btw. One of them has been for a year with me. The other one I got this December.

Last edited by kunju; 2nd April 2015 at 12:01 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 25th July 2015, 05:32 AM
Hi,
You said you have homers? If yes and they imprinted on your area from inside any window or anything like that which gives them access to see outside, homers will return to their homes.
Are you sure you have got homers? Then why you want to release them if they are your pets? And are they tame too?

Well for a soft release(which we do for feral pigeons) there is a thread with lot of info from a moderator, you will find it helpful.
Pls click below to read :

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f23/to...ase-10874.html
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Last edited by kiddy; 25th July 2015 at 05:34 AM..
Posted 27th July 2015, 11:37 PM
I had posted this long back, and just a few weeks back one of the birds managed to escape through an open window. She never came back.
I had got her as a fledgling, no yellow hairs but not yet flying. She had pox in one spot, and she was found by my maid hiding under a flower pot below an apartment. I don't know how much she already knows about surviving outside, but I accidentally left the window open and out she flew. I was heartbroken for a few days.
I have already gone through the link you mentioned, and all the factors essential for release were present, only that I wasn't yet ready to take the chance. I can only hope she has made it out there.
The other pigeon was got as a baby, so I am not taking any chances with her now. She is not happy really, because the other two pigeons have paired up, and they pick on her. But what are the chances of a successful release for a pigeon got as a baby? Even if acclimatized to the locality prior to release? She is not tame, but she is a timid pigeon.

Posted 28th July 2015, 02:50 AM
If she is not tame, fears of humans and flies well, you can try with soft release. Feral once with a flock will learn to forage for food and they make it in wild that way.
Thanks for helping those birds in need. They most probably would be feral not homers.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 29th July 2015, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes she is not tame and can fly well. I want her to be free, but am afraid her timid soft nature might make things difficult for her once free.
I thought homers are those who can find their way home? In that sense, all ferals are homers, right?
Posted 29th July 2015, 02:49 AM
Homers is the breed of pigeons when you train them and leave them even miles away they will return back to home while feral in India are usually Gola breed who won't be able to return if they are released far from homes. Will you believe my one uncle migrated to Pakistan at the time of partition and he took all his pigeons with him but one of them returned to India, to his home where he was brought up , he was homer. When you hear about racing pigeons, they are all homers. Although in India some competitions are held of high flyers too but distant racing is always for homers.
Posted 31st July 2015, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info. So all my pigeons are ferals, the grey type. Not homers.
Posted 31st July 2015, 11:25 PM
Yes must be ferals. People here can tell about their breeds tho by seeing pics.
Posted 1st August 2015, 08:35 AM
can you post a picture of your pigeons... wild golas eyes are reddish, and their body is somwhat strecthed
wild gola pigeons [common wild pigeons in india] can return from hunderds of km to their nest....but even if you handraise them, they will just leave when you start introducing them to surrounding [unlike domestic young pigeons they are not gonna hang around for long] and also if they are not handraised or not used to being around domestic pigeons, they wont pair up with domestic pigeons. jass was right, maybe the highflyer and wild pair i see, the wild must be a escaped pigeon. this was said to me by the people in pet shop, when i asked them about wild pigeons in the shop...

Last edited by naresh j; 1st August 2015 at 08:39 AM..
Posted 1st August 2015, 09:03 AM
Naresh, Are you sure Gola pigeons return to their nest from hundreds of kms ? I have heard they do not. Of course I have no experience with Gola...
Posted 1st August 2015, 09:47 AM
yah i have read it somewhere and also jass in one of his threads said that pure gola can return from 100s of km [only to the place where they have nested not to the place where they were born]....and yah domestic golas are also used for racing
Posted 1st August 2015, 10:00 AM
Great!! Thanks for the information

Tags
release