male pigeon pairing with squeekers - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 30th May 2016, 07:18 AM

male pigeon pairing with squeekers

My male roman pigeon is mated to a month old rock pigeon and I got 2 females for him but he only attacks them so I caged him with a female in separate cages for a week he always coos I thought they settled down and let the free but nothing worked keeps attacking her and paired back to the young month rock same thing I did to the other hen nothing worked so I caged the young and its brother away from the loft and I got a new month old pigeon older than the rock a bit then he cooed on it and spread its tail and she sat and he mated on top of her and calls her in the nest same happened to the rock please help what should I do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th May 2016, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonkings View Post
My male roman pigeon is mated to a month old rock pigeon and I got 2 females for him but he only attacks them so I caged him with a female in separate cages for a week he always coos I thought they settled down and let the free but nothing worked keeps attacking her and paired back to the young month rock same thing I did to the other hen nothing worked so I caged the young and its brother away from the loft and I got a new month old pigeon older than the rock a bit then he cooed on it and spread its tail and she sat and he mated on top of her and calls her in the nest same happened to the rock please help what should I do

How old is the male? When they are still very young, they are too immature and mating is just a game. Also, if you are keeping them inside too small an enclosure or a space they will fight.

Month old hens or male pigeons are way too young and immature to be coupled, best age is 9 months to a year.

Posted 30th May 2016, 08:05 AM
The male is 2 + years and my loft is 18 feet by 8 feet so no its big I only have 6 pigeons in a big loft so they would be good

Posted 30th May 2016, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonkings View Post
The male is 2 + years and my loft is 18 feet by 8 feet so no its big I only have 6 pigeons in a big loft so they would be good
He is a good age. The hens may not be mature and that one is way too young (you cannot tell the gender of a 1 month old pigeon, that may be a male too), they will not respond to his advances, if under 4 to 6 months. They make good parents at around 9 months of age. I wouldn't force anything at this point, give the hens some time (maybe they are not all hens) and let them get to know each other naturally.

Last edited by Skyeking; 30th May 2016 at 08:12 AM..
Posted 30th May 2016, 08:11 AM
Actually they are both 18 Months on there bands and they were mated and hatched 2 months ago but one of there males died and the other flew away so there mature to breed
Posted 30th May 2016, 08:14 AM
When I mean hatched I mean there eggs not the female
Posted 30th May 2016, 12:15 PM
This is confusing. I think it is the way you are explaining it. He cannot be paired to a month old hen. I don't understand what it is you are describing.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 30th May 2016, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
This is confusing. I think it is the way you are explaining it. He cannot be paired to a month old hen. I don't understand what it is you are describing.
.. Me neither...

Posted 30th May 2016, 12:39 PM
Lol I'm sorry for that...

My roman male pigeon is 2 years old and he is mated to a month old rock pigeon and I want him to mate with my older females but he attacks them how can I pair him with one of them? That's what I mean as I don't want him to wait months for eggs with a month old and even she is a rock I'm a fact breeder
Posted 30th May 2016, 06:39 PM
He can't be paired up with a month old hen. I have already said that. A month old hen isn't going to pair up with anyone. What do you call paired up? Do they stay in a nest box? Does she? If he is trying to control this young hen and keeping her away from others, and won't pair up with any other female, then you need to remove him for a while, and separate them.
Not to sound ridiculous, but are you sure these others are hens? How do you know? Not normal for him to just attack other hens. Maybe you are not giving them enough time before letting them be together. Put in 2 cages side by side for a while, until they both show interest. Then let them out in a large area together. Not his cage. Or he will fight with them, as that is his area. Some dumb males will even pursue a hen, but when she goes into his box, he will throw her out. That sometimes goes on for a while before they actually settle down together. It's their territory, and somehow feel the need to protect it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 30th May 2016, 11:42 PM
Yes they are both hen I saw there mates but one of there males died and but they both laid eggs so their females
Posted 1st June 2016, 11:40 AM
Anyone... He's still at after I thought he was calm and calling I let them together and then he beat her please help