Peculiar mating behaviour - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 18th July 2017, 06:26 AM

Peculiar mating behaviour

Hi, hallo once again. Today I'm gonna need an advice on one of my pigeons. "Loopi" my boy. I brought him when he was 7 days old, very week but very sharp and intelligent. I cared him like my own child I read storybooks. Handfed him. Bring him anything he wants. While cooking i showed him how his food are made. He responded very well. Though a little aggresive in 7months age he has chosen his own mate. Now a father of 8 children and 1yrs 2months old. Recently one of his behaviour surprised me. For the past two months he is mating with my hands and my foot and behaving like a mate. He has his full family but still he is doing this regularly and I'm afraid what happened to my child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th July 2017, 09:54 AM
Hi SumanaC,

Glad to hear about Loopi.

I do not think anything is wrong with him. Since you have basically hand raised him, you have 'imprinted' yourself on him, so he will always see you as a familiar and friendly face, occasionally 'mating' with you, trying to seduce you, the whole 9 yards.

I do not think this is a problem, esp. since he is behaving normal with other pigeons and has also fathered quiet a few young pigeons.

My opinion; nothing is wrong with him and there is nothing to worry about.

Good Luck
Posted 18th July 2017, 05:05 PM
One of my feral boys and my tumbler boy does this to me too, my other feral boy doesn't do it at all and when he sees one of the other boys attempting to mate with my hand or arm he immediately chases them off, lol. I hand reared all three from eggs and it's quite remarkable that Gabriel gets so offended about Gideon and Gandalf's behaviour. It's almost like Gabriel thinks I belong to him but not in a female pigeon kinda way, more like because I'm his mum.
They are all different and all adorable - your boy is just trying his luck that's all. He sounds lovely too.

Posted 19th July 2017, 08:32 AM
YaSin11 and FredaH thank you for your response. I was really worried. I thought it's some type of psychological problem. I'm kind of relaxed now. He also hates when I pat and kiss my other boys and his children too. He immediately sits on my head. Only does this. Others are very normal they don't care.

Tags
mating