training help - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 26th August 2012, 06:19 PM

training help

i have this one pigeon that does great i mean he is the 1st in the loft on every toss mostly and when i just let them out at the house he's the 1st to go back in after an hour of flight but every so often he just won't go in not sure why and when he does this i i am starting to have 4 others follow his lead when he does this it not all the time just once here and once there he is a sion pure breed only sion i have ever had just not sure why he does this drives me crazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th August 2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn View Post
i have this one pigeon that does great i mean he is the 1st in the loft on every toss mostly and when i just let them out at the house he's the 1st to go back in after an hour of flight but every so often he just won't go in not sure why and when he does this i i am starting to have 4 others follow his lead when he does this it not all the time just once here and once there he is a sion pure breed only sion i have ever had just not sure why he does this drives me crazy
(I don't train pigeons, I have doves and have worked with other species of animal as well.) Do you feed them before or after you let them out? Because if you feed them after they'll have more motivation to come back. Especially if you train them to associate a sound (you whistling loudly for instance) with treats and/or dinner. Then, you can eventually use that sound to get them come in. (You would have to do all of the training inside the loft so that they associate the sound with food in the loft and not just mobbing you for food. lol) If you need to know more about getting animals to associate food with a noise, look up clicker training.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." J.R.R. Tolkien
http://libis.deviantart.com/
Posted 27th August 2012, 05:39 AM
i feed after and i whistle for them they mostly always come in but this one bird the one that is always 1st just like to toy with me he just does it once in a while every few days

Posted 27th August 2012, 05:41 AM
Quote:
i feed after and i whistle for them they mostly always come in but this one bird the one that is always 1st just like to toy with me he just does it once in a while every few days
Hmm. Is there anything scary near your loft? Is there a cute feral outside that he has his eye on? What's his personality when he's inside? Dominant, sweet, etc?

Posted 27th August 2012, 05:45 AM
he seems to be sweet he let me grab him inside easy don't have to chace him around the loft to put him in the box for road training and nothing scary around that i know of and no other pigeons around for at least 8 miles
Posted 27th August 2012, 05:51 AM
Quote:
he seems to be sweet he let me grab him inside easy don't have to chace him around the loft to put him in the box for road training and nothing scary around that i know of and no other pigeons around for at least 8 miles
Does he just love flying too much then? lol. Other than that, all I can think of is maybe something that looks scary to a bird's perspective but not to a human's. For instance maybe a flag that looks like a big monster waving around to him or a garden pinwheel or something...? (Just trying to think of every possibility. Without being there and watching him fly, it's really hard to guess what his deal is.)

Is there a cock in the loft who's bullying him?

Posted 27th August 2012, 10:02 AM
my birds hesitate also, even when they are going in to roost, sometimes they get skittish which is normal..they hear and think they see predators or something.. or just want to be sure that is what they want to do. it is possible you are feeding just a hair too much that day he hesitates. but there is a fine line between starving the birds and getting the reaction you want.
Posted 27th August 2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
my birds hesitate also, even when they are going in to roost, sometimes they get skittish which is normal..they hear and think they see predators or something.. or just want to be sure that is what they want to do. it is possible you are feeding just a hair too much that day he hesitates. but there is a fine line between starving the birds and getting the reaction you want.
I agree, maybe feed less every once in a while. (My birds need a reminder once in a while). Good luck
Posted 27th August 2012, 10:41 PM
I recommend trying to give it different food or treat on the return and not something that it gets regularly. Birds do not like to be carried away and handled unless they are hand raised. That is how I figured it, good luck.
Posted 29th November 2013, 08:07 AM
Hello

I have 4 pigeons,two of them are about 5 weeks old and two other pigeons are adult and they all live in a wooden house in the yard.
Is there any chance of making at least 2 young pigeons tamed and domesticated(somehow pet pigeons)?
If there is,please help.

Thanks.
Posted 1st December 2013, 09:27 PM
Hello. Are these domestic pigeons or wild ferals? How quickly do you want the young to get used to you?
Do they make a who sound when you approach the cage? They need to start getting used to your hands first. Do not grab them suddenly. Take food away and only feed them by hand or use your hand to put feed into the trays. Talk to them or whistle every time you feed them. Do not let anything or anyone scare them while they are inside. If you have to catch them, then take your time so that they will learn not to panic too much. It would be easier to communicate with the older birds if they are the parents. Once the young see the good relations between you and the parents, they will gladly follow their elders. Peace.
Posted 2nd December 2013, 03:16 AM
First of all thanks for your reply

They are domestic.It doesn't matter that much!No they don't.

thanks a lot for your help.
Posted 2nd December 2013, 03:56 AM
If you excuse me I have another question.
If they become trained,would people in the street hurt them?I mean would the young ones feel comfortable with any other people and wouldn't be afraid of them???
Posted 2nd December 2013, 11:10 PM
Hello. I am thinking that if only one person was to feed and train them, then when let loose they would only be comfortable around that one person unless they become captive and are forced to deal with others. Also, when they get lost they start to show their tameness.
If the people in the street are used to hurting pigeons, then a lone domestic colored pigeon is going to attract goood and bad people. Sorry.
Posted 29th June 2015, 09:59 PM
yes they do that sometimes or oftentimes but this will all change when they mature especially when they have a mate...

Tags
road training