Will tumbler home over a couple miles? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Training and Behavior

Posted 17th December 2012, 09:58 PM

Will tumbler home over a couple miles?

New user here.
I,m thinking about getting back into pigeon raising, and i would like to know if tumblers will return home over 2-4 miles like a homing pigeon. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 18th December 2012, 08:31 AM
some may and some may not.. they are not bred for homing ability. so you take you're chances. Im sure anything is possible but don't reley on it, and a lost roller could starve to death.
Posted 18th December 2012, 12:49 PM
With lots of training a 2 mile fly should be easy enough but no guarantees, I mean there is not even guarantees with a racing pigeon. IF you are looking at getting back into racing pigeons don't bother with the tumblers. Keep them as pets and race the racers.

Posted 23rd January 2013, 12:53 AM
Hello. I agree with spirit wings and az pigeon. And if you were to test from a closer distance like 0.25 of a mile or less, and ONE bird at a time you would see your answer. If it is hungry but not thirsty, then it will try to come home faster. If it gets stuck wondering how to return home after an hour or so, then take a familiar bird and let it perch next to the lost bird or chase it up to fly with the lost bird and they should both make it home shortly. Increase the distances every couple of days or once a week. Lock them up immediately after their return, then feed and water: so they do not get preyed upon.
Posted 2nd March 2013, 03:28 PM
I wold not take the risk again, I lost a prized tumbler and it got lost, most likely aten by a hawk
Pigeon poops on man
Posted 2nd March 2013, 04:17 PM

Do Not Do That

I Have Tried That Only 1km..

Flown My 4 Tumblers With My Homers. I Thought They Will Fly Back With Them.

But No I Lost 3 Birds And The 4th One Came Bak Home After 3 Days Hungry As..

And Now I Found Other Two Pigeons Who Lost Died And One Got Found By Spca.

So Its Not Worth Doing It. Poor Birds Will Die Or Lost
Posted 3rd March 2013, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangha View Post
I Have Tried That Only 1km..

Flown My 4 Tumblers With My Homers. I Thought They Will Fly Back With Them.

But No I Lost 3 Birds And The 4th One Came Bak Home After 3 Days Hungry As..

And Now I Found Other Two Pigeons Who Lost Died And One Got Found By Spca.

So Its Not Worth Doing It. Poor Birds Will Die Or Lost
Same here, I lost my tumbler the same way, except I only had on with a homer mix, thir baby, flew a way too, I totally agree with you
Pigeon poops on man
Posted 3rd March 2013, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't advise it. All pigeons are built for different things. Show pigeons for show, performance birds for performing at home, and racers for their homing ability.

It's like sending a 10 year old on a NASA mission to Mars - just not worth it.

Revolution Pigeon Lofts

"A new-era of pigeon racing"
Posted 28th June 2013, 04:47 PM
But if tumblers are left to free fly around their lost they won;t get lost right?

I'm new to tumblers
Posted 29th June 2013, 01:08 AM
Hello again. I hope you know that some tumblers have become a show bird and not a flying bird. I have strived to keep the flying part of the tumblers alive, by giving away the show types to people who use them as droppers.
Some people have overbred for the tumbling ability and now we got birds that only tumble and not fly at all.
Another thing, some good flying tumblers will get stuck in a tumbling mode for a time if they have been locked up for too long.
If you decide to raise tumblers, then get the flying type. Then breed the good flyers together. Then breed good flyer who do not get lost regularly, together. Then breed for good flyers that home good and are smart enough to survive the hawks to each other and hope that they have some tumbling skills left in them and enjoy.

Last edited by hamlet; 29th June 2013 at 01:11 AM..
Posted 29th June 2013, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Hello again. I hope you know that some tumblers have become a show bird and not a flying bird. I have strived to keep the flying part of the tumblers alive, by giving away the show types to people who use them as droppers.
Some people have overbred for the tumbling ability and now we got birds that only tumble and not fly at all.
[/B]
Hi,
Actually I have no idea what kind of tumbler I have. I just adopted one last monday from my local bird rescue. They told me he is a tumbler but that he doesn't fly very well. I don;t know his background and I haven't seen him fly yet so I don't know what they meant by 'can't fly very well'

Would you be able to tell from a picture what kind he is?
Posted 29th June 2013, 08:16 AM
Posted 29th June 2013, 08:18 AM
Posted 29th June 2013, 03:28 PM
Hello again. first, this bird looks like its cage is getting wet. I have had a female with similar colors except the eyes. Mine did not fly good either, however she had good sense of where her new home(mine) was. So she was used during times when there were stray pigeons that needed direction. I just took her and let her sit next to the stray and she brought it home on the way unlike some other birds which I thought were homers, but took them one day to get home from less than half a mile.
If it is the only one than, do not start training: just breed it and test the babies only. Once you got good babies that are trained, then you may wish to give him his freedom and see if it likes to fly.
I like your bird, and its yello eyes. Thanks.
Posted 29th June 2013, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
Hello again. first, this bird looks like its cage is getting wet. I have had a female with similar colors except the eyes. Mine did not fly good either, however she had good sense of where her new home(mine) was. So she was used during times when there were stray pigeons that needed direction. I just took her and let her sit next to the stray and she brought it home on the way unlike some other birds which I thought were homers, but took them one day to get home from less than half a mile.
If it is the only one than, do not start training: just breed it and test the babies only. Once you got good babies that are trained, then you may wish to give him his freedom and see if it likes to fly.
I like your bird, and its yello eyes. Thanks.
Hey

You think the cage is wet? Is it the state of his tail feathers that gives that impression or something else?

I only got him 5 days ago. He's a rehomed rescue that was probably sitting in a box or small carrier cage for sometime before he came to me - hence the dirty tail. I'm still getting him used to me. Once he's not so frightened I want to take him indoors so that I can check how he flies and let him have a much needed BATH
I don;t want to move him yet, as he's only just started eating out of my hands.

I don't intend 'homing' him, just opening the cage and letting him stretch his wings. Do you think I have to wait to breed him before letting him fly? I don't have a flight pen. I have a wall cot for him to sleep in, it was never intended to keep him in there for the rest of his life.