My fantail laid 3 eggs - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Show Pigeons

Posted 14th March 2016, 12:18 AM
Again they laid 3 eggs. I am now pretty sure that they both are hens because yesterday I saw one egg in the morning. I bought two eggs from pigeon shop and put them in nest. I marked the egg she laid in the morning. She sat on 3 eggs. By evening there were 4 eggs in the nest. A pigeon can't lay 2 eggs on same day. So the other pigeon just laid her egg.

I threw off one of their eggs. They are now sitting on 3 eggs. One is their own egg, other two are foster eggs).

Last edited by Iamgr8; 14th March 2016 at 12:22 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th March 2016, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamgr8 View Post
Again they laid 3 eggs. I am now pretty sure that they both are hens because yesterday I saw one egg in the morning. I bought two eggs from pigeon shop and put them in nest. I marked the egg she laid in the morning. She sat on 3 eggs. By evening there were 4 eggs in the nest. A pigeon can't lay 2 eggs on same day. So the other pigeon just laid her egg.

I threw off one of their eggs. They are now sitting on 3 eggs. One is their own egg, other two are foster eggs).
There ya go! Great detective work..lol.. I think just the two foster eggs are enough for them to incubate as they don't need the third in there.

Sorry to repeat myself regardless of the,links. I have had no problems with my true pairs mating, fertilizing , incubating and raising young. People who have expensive show birds do and can go over board . Plus they are experienced if they decide to cut actual tail feathers, I don't recommend novices do it or necessary .
I hope these hens do a good job raising these if they are fertile! Let us know!
Posted 20th March 2016, 12:30 AM
These people know what they are doing. But because you do not believe as they do, then they are going over board? Could be they are right and you are wrong. Just because you haven't had the problem with your birds, does not mean that it is not sometimes necessary.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 20th March 2016, 12:37 PM
It really depends on the birds. Garden fantails and indian fantails rarely have to get trimmed, but real english fantails in good quality tends to need trimming if you want to get fertile eggs. Sometimes just trim around the vent, sometimes cut the tail.

Sure they can still lay fertile eggs without trimming, but i have found it better to trim all birds who are in the ''hard to mate'' body type. Because every time they lay infertile eggs and have to get them tossed itīs just extra strain on the females.

I did get some eggs before i trimmed this year and all of them were infertile, other than my ''bad'' blue bar pair.
As far as my knowledge goes some pairs can mate no problems and for some pairs trimming makes the difference betwen 0% fertile eggs and 100% fertile.

I probably trimmed pairs who didnīt need it, I didnīt trim ones i deemed fine and they are laying fertile, But i also let a pair who laid all fertile eggs last summer not get trimmed this year and now they got 2 infertile eggs.
So seriously, all you need to do is let them lay eggs. Are they fertile? No need to trim. Are they infertile? Start Trimming.
Itīs just a matter of the birds themselves.

But of course if itīs two females this person got, and there is no males around, trimming will not make any difference.
Posted 22nd March 2016, 11:10 AM
It is poor advice to tell a novice to cut tail feathers. It is not that I don't believe in it. Which is ridiculous. really for someone who has never bred purebred fantails you sure are obstinate, I really do not understand that. Iam at a loss.

I have bred fantails, most if not all have no problems. Most pets kept by non show people and just as a hobbie ,there is nothing to worry about and no reason to make your birds look terrible because professional breeders go to great lengths to up fertility , even if they don't know the pair needs it. Telling a novice to cut their pigeon's tails is irresponsible. Trimming around the vent can help with contact. Iam not sure why my own advice is taken hostily , except that it is counter to what someone else posted. Iam not sure of the reason why my advice and learnings are shot down by the same person. Iam thinking it's not me.
Posted 23rd March 2016, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytpigeon View Post
It is poor advice to tell a novice to cut tail feathers. It is not that I don't believe in it. Which is ridiculous. really for someone who has never bred purebred fantails you sure are obstinate, I really do not understand that. Iam at a loss.

Not being obstinate at all. And you are putting words in my mouth. I never told anybody to trim tail feathers. I said that I thought they had 2 females. They asked if fantails sometimes need to be trimmed. I answered that yes, sometimes they do, but that I didn't know that was the case here. Many have come on here off and on and said so. You came in and said that was incorrect. Well it isn't incorrect, so I posted a couple of links on the subject. You still argued the point. All I did was to show evidence of what I had said.

I have bred fantails, most if not all have no problems. Most pets kept by non show people and just as a hobbie ,there is nothing to worry about and no reason to make your birds look terrible because professional breeders go to great lengths to up fertility , even if they don't know the pair needs it. Telling a novice to cut their pigeon's tails is irresponsible.

Again, I never told them to do that, You made it sound like it was never necessary and I was totally wrong, so I posted the links.

Trimming around the vent can help with contact. Iam not sure why my own advice is taken hostily , except that it is counter to what someone else posted. Iam not sure of the reason why my advice and learnings are shot down by the same person. Iam thinking it's not me.

I feel that you are the one who got hostile about the whole thing. Not sure why. I believe you came in and disagreed with me, not the other way around. Maybe it is you.

I'm sure there are arguments on both sides, but you seem to be the one who is getting defensive.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 23rd March 2016 at 06:36 AM..
Posted 24th March 2016, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamgr8 View Post
They both were sitting on 3 EGGS for 25 days! I candled the eggs to see if they were fertile. NO.

They both coo, both kiss each other, Both feed each other. How can both be hens?
Iamgr8, do you know how to sex birds using a wine cork?
Posted 16th July 2019, 06:28 AM
Hi could anyone help me with sex of my fantails I’ve had them about 2 months but I don’t know the sex of them they are fantails
Posted 18th July 2019, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhysbrown View Post
Hi could anyone help me with sex of my fantails I’ve had them about 2 months but I don’t know the sex of them they are fantails
You would open your own new thread for advice on this. This thread is from 2016. But I’ll just say, there is no telling what sex they are, only guesses. To be sure of the sex one of them or both has to lay eggs, if only one does and the eggs end up fertile and they are the only two, then the other is a male.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 23rd July 2019 at 08:56 AM..

Tags
eggs, fantail