My fantail laid 3 eggs - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Show Pigeons

Posted 29th February 2016, 07:52 AM

My fantail laid 3 eggs

I bought two Indian fantails 2 weeks ago. They both look exactly same in appearance. Both look like female pigeons but they kissed and mated before laying eggs. I don't know which pigeon laid eggs as both look twins. There are 3 eggs in nestbox. Usually pigeons lay 2 eggs at a time. Both pigeons sit on eggs to incubate. I am confused now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th February 2016, 08:36 PM
You probably have 2 females.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 29th February 2016, 11:18 PM
Yeah... Both of them are females...
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Posted 4th March 2016, 11:25 PM

Fantail Three Eggs :: Satinette cross old dutch capuchine

Hey, that's a pretty wonder, normally pigeons lay only two eggs, so I am damn sure, you have bough two pigeons, that's y both are sitting on each of their eggs, am sure you can find one more egg in the coming days.you took the wrong pair from shop.

I have one satinette white color and old dutch capuchine which have mated and laid two eggs, capuchine is female, now I am confused what breed would come out, would it be 'mutts', has any one in the group experienced this before.pls post some pics in such cases of new born babies.
Posted 5th March 2016, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Stanly View Post
Hey, that's a pretty wonder, normally pigeons lay only two eggs, so I am damn sure, you have bough two pigeons, that's y both are sitting on each of their eggs, am sure you can find one more egg in the coming days.you took the wrong pair from shop.

I have one satinette white color and old dutch capuchine which have mated and laid two eggs, capuchine is female, now I am confused what breed would come out, would it be 'mutts', has any one in the group experienced this before.pls post some pics in such cases of new born babies.

Even with a male and female, both will sit on the eggs.
With your pair, you could get anything. They could have some of the parents characteristics, or none of them. Probably will have none.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 5th March 2016, 08:04 PM
I pulled three eggs out from one of my HighFlyer pairs before I replaced them with two from a fantail pair to foster. Candled all three and they were fertile.
Posted 8th March 2016, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamgr8 View Post
I bought two Indian fantails 2 weeks ago. They both look exactly same in appearance. Both look like female pigeons but they kissed and mated before laying eggs. I don't know which pigeon laid eggs as both look twins. There are 3 eggs in nestbox. Usually pigeons lay 2 eggs at a time. Both pigeons sit on eggs to incubate. I am confused now.
It is not unheard of for a pigeon to lay three. But. Not usual as you already know. So either you have two hens or the hen of the pair laid three eggs, or if there are other hens in the same loft single hens will lay in others nests. if the birds are alone without other birds in there and they end up fertile then You have youre answer. If they are not fertile then it looks more like two hens., but still not 100%.
Posted 9th March 2016, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytpigeon View Post
It is not unheard of for a pigeon to lay three. But. Not usual as you already know. So either you have two hens or the hen of the pair laid three eggs, or if there are other hens in the same loft single hens will lay in others nests. if the birds are alone without other birds in there and they end up fertile then You have youre answer. If they are not fertile then it looks more like two hens., but still not 100%.
They both were sitting on 3 EGGS for 25 days! I candled the eggs to see if they were fertile. NO.

They both coo, both kiss each other, Both feed each other. How can both be hens?
Posted 9th March 2016, 10:22 AM
Quote:
They both were sitting on 3 EGGS for 25 days! I candled the eggs to see if they were fertile. No,
Sounds like two hens. IMO. they can make great foster pairs to hatch others eggs. If you time it right. They can be hens because hens will pair up. Love the one you're with so to speak. No one knows why.
Posted 9th March 2016, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Sounds like two hens. IMO. they can make great foster pairs to hatch others eggs. If you time it right. They can be hens because hens will pair up. Love the one you're with so to speak. No one knows why.
Is it possible that due to their giant tails they couldn't mate properly?
Posted 9th March 2016, 06:46 PM
Yes it is possible. Sometimes people do have to trim the tails some in order to breed them. Don't know if this is the case here or not.

Posted 10th March 2016, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Is it possible that due to their giant tails they couldn't mate properly?

The cock bird's sperm not reaching the egg can happen to any breed and the tail IMO is not a big deal, more reasons are heavy feathering around their cloaca. If you are talking of fantails they have a split in their tails that allows the two contact. Because of the three eggs and if they incubated them together at the same time then you probably have two hens that have paired up. It is not unusual.
Posted 10th March 2016, 01:37 PM
Quote:
The cock bird's sperm not reaching the egg can happen to any breed and the tail IMO is not a big deal, more reasons are heavy feathering around their cloaca. If you are talking of fantails they have a split in their tails that allows the two contact. Because of the three eggs and if they incubated them together at the same time then you probably have two hens that have paired up. It is not unusual.
There have been breeders of fantails come on here that did have to trim the tails some for them to be able to breed. They do know what they are talking about as they breed these birds. I would really trust their opinion more.

Posted 12th March 2016, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
There have been breeders of fantails come on here that did have to trim the tails some for them to be able to breed. They do know what they are talking about as they breed these birds. I would really trust their opinion more.
Thanks for confidence.
I have bred fantails, American and Indian. And also learned from breeders, which is what I am sharing. If you do not understand something , that does not mean it is wrong. Yes some tails have extra number of feathers and makes it so the split is harder to find. The feather trimming is around the cloaca or vent .one needs to be very careful if you just tell someone to trim tail feathers, there is a blood vein in them. People who breed and show do want a higher fertility percentage and do all kinds of things that are not necessarily needed for the average fantail pet keeper, most fantails have no problems filling eggs and hatching young.
Posted 12th March 2016, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Thanks for confidence.
I have bred fantails, American and Indian. And also learned from breeders, which is what I am sharing. If you do not understand something , that does not mean it is wrong. Yes some tails have extra number of feathers and makes it so the split is harder to find. The feather trimming is around the cloaca or vent .one needs to be very careful if you just tell someone to trim tail feathers, there is a blood vein in them. People who breed and show do want a higher fertility percentage and do all kinds of things that are not necessarily needed for the average fantail pet keeper, most fantails have no problems filling eggs and hatching young.

Your welcome, and thanks for yours.
I didn't tell anyone to trim feathers. I simply said that some do. They asked a question, and I answered them. Not a question of not understanding at all. What I do understand is that there are many opinions, but you often don't seem to like that. You don't trim..............some do. Breeders have come on here who have had to.
Most may not have problems, but some do. And the trimming is sometimes on the tail.

Interesting links on the subject:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Pigeons/BRKFans.html

https://books.google.com/books?id=gY...mating&f=false
Page 31

Tags
eggs, fantail