Lost pigeons - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 19th May 2019, 05:46 AM

Lost pigeons

Hello , I'm new here and I am very interested in pigeons and homing pigeons . I have so many questions : .... so let's go with the first one . I was reading a lot of posts in the forum and heard of so many pigeons that go lost during races . It must be hard to breed and teach them and then loose them .
How does that happen ? Do they lose the memory of the way home after some time or is it possible that they come home after months or years if they survive or find someome who takes care of them ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th May 2019, 06:45 AM
There are many different factors. Weather, predators, hunters, dehydration, weakness, fatigue,sickness Ect. Yes birds can come home weeks months years after being lost. All depends on circumstances if they survive with feral or if they are with another flyer .
Posted 19th May 2019, 07:35 AM
Some join feral flocks, we have a large flock in my town that lives under an over pass bridge. There are many with white feathers . Pigeons are not native here so these birds are from lost racers most likely. Pigeons are pretty adaptable, esp if they have a flock to follow to know where to eat, I can imagine there are people putting out seeds for them.

There is also birds that follow others to a different loft than their own, and these birds may be bred for a season then Released , then it arrives home a year later.

Storms have a bad affect on pigeons trying to get home too.

Posted 19th May 2019, 08:33 AM
That's very interesting . I was thinking they would loose the memory of the way home after some time . Of course if they are in the wild it will be more difficult then if they are with another flier . Thank you for the explanation
Posted 19th May 2019, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigi47 View Post
That's very interesting . I was thinking they would loose the memory of the way home after some time . Of course if they are in the wild it will be more difficult then if they are with another flier . Thank you for the explanation
I’m not sure they do loose memory, but for reasons unknown they choose a feral life. Also I have known people buy a grown already flown homing pigeon and weeks or years later they decide to let it out with their other pigeons , it may stay if it has a mate for awhile, but some decide to take off and go back to the loft of their hatching ‘birth” or where they were settled as young birds.. why and when they decide is a mystery. Of course adult homing pigeons brought in the loft should be secured and not let out, esp if the last owner is very far away.
Posted 19th May 2019, 10:24 AM
Thank you for giving me so many explanations . They are really interesting . It must be beautiful to live with pigeons and discover so much incredible stuff . Who knows what makes them decide one way or the other . Very very intelligent animals indeed .

Tags
memory, racing pigeon