Lost race birds - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 26th December 2018, 06:37 PM
I think a lot of it is when you buy a bird and then see the pedigree this is a full brother to, but bred for stock, or the sire is a grandson of who ever but bred for stock, it's that bred for stock but they sell it. I spent weeks looking up peds in the SAMDPR and I'll bet 2/3 of the birds were out of first time breeders just because a bird in the ped was a race winner. We are always told to breed the best with the best but bred for stock is not the best. Just a thought.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 26th December 2018, 06:55 PM
Funny, My wife boiled down elderberries for ourselves. We use it when we get sick which is not too often - she is 68 and runs or gets on the bicycle every day with Sundays off, must be from the elderberries ! . Two of my best 3 birds this year were from yearlings and the other was from our old proven cock on an old proven hen ( 7th in the Texas summer race ). My yearlings were survivors from last year ( a bad year for me ).
Posted 11th January 2019, 06:54 AM
Just saw this this morning could this be part of the problem? The North Pole is moving rapidly to Siberia from Canada and GPS systems need to be adjusted because of the quickness of the move. Originally they say it was moving 15km a year which was faster than they expected but now it picked up speed and is moving 55km a year. Just something else to think about.

Posted 11th January 2019, 08:46 AM
I'm glad you posted this. I saw it this morning too and was going to mention it but got caught up with the cold weather here ( Pennsylvania ). I am wondering if we can find a better way to train our birds considering this North pole magnetic thing.
I was thinking they might need to be trained in a 40 to 50 mile "circle". When the birds home from a race they will get into the general area by using their
( compass - don't know what else to call it ) abilities and then recognize the area they are in and home. Just a thought, what do you guys think.
Posted 11th January 2019, 10:24 AM
That is what I was also thinking instead of just line of flight.
Posted 11th January 2019, 11:17 AM
Being retired I think I will try this, as long as the price of gas does not get too high!
Posted 11th January 2019, 06:56 PM
I'm only into pigeon racing a few years now, but I know that in the past my club would fly old birds. We don't do that anymore, just no interest in it I guess. The old timers would only fly the young birds sparingly to save them for the old bird season. Could we be asking too much of our young birds? Do old bird racers experience the same losses that young bird racers do?
I also read that article on the magnetic pole shifting, very interesting. I can't help but think that this also plays a significant role in the losses.
Posted 6th February 2019, 07:36 AM
Reading the Digest I see South Africa had almost 5,000 pigeons to start. They trained 16 miles, pre-race and raced 39 miles many times. The losses at such a short distance is crazy, about 1500 birds lost ! I see on the final race only about 1300 birds homed ( on the chart, says 100 hours ) May be more in now.
I wonder if at the start some sickness may have been present. For 1500 birds to be lost at those short distances something other than homing ability must have affected them.
Makes me think a bit. I'm sending a few birds out to some auction races and an OLR. I think I will vaccinate them with Paratyphoid vaccine before I ship them. I know they will vaccinate for PMV when they get the birds but with the other vaccine they should have a better resistance to other stuff because of a built up imnume system.
Posted 6th March 2019, 06:02 PM

found this on Canadian pigeon website

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature13290
Posted 7th March 2019, 11:16 AM
That was an interesting article. We are producing more of this electromagnetic noise every year. Hope this does not eventually put an end to racing homing pigeons.
Posted 21st March 2019, 01:35 PM
Just some more info.
https://www.pigeonracingpigeon.com/d...igeon-killers/
Posted 3rd April 2019, 10:49 AM
Newer flyer and last year was my second season. I don't have any big name bird's and I don't spend a lot of money on bird's. I do feed the best feed I can, I do use acv and garlic in the water 3x's weekly I do pour safflower oil and a poultry oil called Kicking Chicken with brewer's yeast on the feed every other day. I open loft fly every day and once they have routed for an hour and a half I train every day unless it's pouring rain and I train every direction out to 30 miles from then on along the race course and rarely from the same spot twice. I train in groups of 3 bird's because who needs bird's that can't find their way home. Last year I started training with 73 bird's after a month and a half of training started the season with 51 after 10 weeks racing with most bird's flying a minimum of 5 race's maximum of of 8 race's I finished with 13 bird's. I finished 4th average speed missing out 1 race or I would have been 2nd. Guy's in my club and combine laughed at my pretty bird's in the beginning of the season not so much at the end. After the first 4 weeks most guy's couldn't fly the regular race's until they flew in the money race's because they lost so many bird's. I had the opposite I really didn't lose bird's until after the 5th week. Probably because I pushed them to hard. Honestly think it's a combination of things bird's of prey have increased dramatically, lack of training, yb's being pushed to hard, bird's harboring sickness that we don't see, etc etc. What I have found pedigrees mean squat. Looking forward to seeing how it goes with the breeding from last years bird's.
Posted 3rd April 2019, 02:28 PM
I agree with your statement " Looking forward to seeing how it goes with the breeding from last years bird's." These birds did it, went the whole season, they must have something the others lacked. Might be homing ability, endurance or ???. But they did it. I also am working with the survivors but I only lost a few birds last year.
Pedigrees can't fly But if they were made out by an honest flyer they can relay information that could valuable for breeding your birds - like relationships etc.
I have found ( after 30 years ) that my basic birds all came down from 4 birds.
They are all related, I only discovered this out this year when a guy I have been giving birds to asked me if they were related. So I looked back on my breeding charts and wow! yes they are. A pedigree would show this kind of information.
Posted 3rd April 2019, 02:55 PM
Wildcat hunter I agree with you that breeding records are definitely helpful. I started out with just a bunch of bird's that I knew little to none about. I did buy a few bird's with pedigrees and after 2yrs still nothing. Bird's that I paid the huge amount of $10, and $7 a pair plus some bird's gifted to me have been the bird's doing it. Honestly record keeping is a weakness for me but it's a learning process.

Tags
reasons for lost pigeons