Maybe going to try racing sometime? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 15th March 2018, 10:56 AM

Maybe going to try racing sometime?

Hey!
I have been looking around on the net, and I think I could possibly want to get into pigeon racing. I have some questions:
What kind of medications do your pigeons need to have( both to race and in general)
Can you buy ARPU bands without being a member ( if you join later)?
I think my birds can handle this, because the breeder sells them for around $500-200 banded. (Mine aren't)

I have been having an issue where I have no idea how much money these meds cost, and what exactly I need.

Since I am twelve, money is hard to come by, but I will save up my allowance once I know how much stuff costs.

The only medications I have is some electrolytes, more specifically Max Immune Plus and Show Stopper from racing pigeon mall.
I also have some diatomaceous earth. I REALLY want to get more but I need to know the price + item name

I know this post is kind of long sorry
Any answers and help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th March 2018, 09:15 PM
You would need to breed pigeons and band them at about 7 days old or so. Later the band that you need to be able to race them, will not go on the bird.

Racing takes a lot of training, hard work, and money. I think that for now you should just enjoy your birds and try to learn as much about pigeon keeping as you can. Take notes, make a folder, and learn all you can. Some day when you are ready, and a bit older, then you will be ready. Learning to keep pigeons and raise healthy birds is the most important thing. You have time to do that. Enjoy your birds.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 16th March 2018, 06:22 AM
Racing takes a lot of time money and knowledge of pigeons. It would be a smart idea to find a local club and find an old timer to mentor. Maybe make a deal with them in helping out with training tosses/feeding/cleaning in exchange for the experience they have learned over the years. Local clubs have members with knowledge that can’t be read in a book. In the meantime raise some young of your own and enjoy them. I recommend this instead of joint wasting time money and losing birds become disgusted with racing. Learn it from who ever is willing to help.

Posted 16th March 2018, 09:07 AM
Ok! I will ask some people and try to see if I can join the local club and ask questions. I think that I am going to see if I can train my birds to go in the trap, but not race until I am 100 percent confident.
Also, do birds race singularly, or in teams? And if they do in teams, how big are they?

Thanks for the respones
Posted 19th March 2018, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear that you are into these incredible bird's and agree that first just enjoy them, learn from them and definitely get into a club. Now as to your question about how do we race them it depends on the race, the size of your team and your club rules. Some special races are for small teams we run a few 5 bird derbies in our regular race's for average speed we have a 25 bird limit another club that I am looking to join has 25 bird's for the standard shipping and a .25 cents per additional bird with no limit.
Posted 20th March 2018, 09:35 AM
Good tips....i am new to pigeons as well. I don't have any at the moment but I like the tips you guys are giving.
Posted 21st March 2018, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEEDGE84 View Post
Good tips....i am new to pigeons as well. I don't have any at the moment but I like the tips you guys are giving.
I would be glad to give you some yb's you would need to pay for the shipping cost and I would like to see your loft setup just to be sure that it is adequate
Posted 21st March 2018, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SPORTSTER View Post
I would be glad to give you some yb's you would need to pay for the shipping cost and I would like to see your loft setup just to be sure that it is adequate
Hello 95Sportster

Thank you for the offer. I am actually saving up to build a loft. What would be an adequate size? I am thinking about building it inside of the garage. And opening it up so that they can go outside? Not sure how to do that yet but it will be sometime before I get it done. Appreciate your offer.
Posted 21st March 2018, 07:17 PM
Please do continue this conversation on this thread
Posted 24th March 2018, 11:44 AM
Loft size depends on how many bird's you are looking to keep. Figure 2 sqft per bird minimum. Ventilation, sunlight and dryness are key keep any openings away from the direction of the prevailing winds. Then determine if you are keeping your breeders separate from your flying bird's (best practice ). There are a lot of designs research what you think you need and then build it bigger than you think lol as you can count on having more than you thought.
Posted 23rd October 2019, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SPORTSTER View Post
Loft size depends on how many bird's you are looking to keep. Figure 2 sqft per bird minimum. Ventilation, sunlight and dryness are key keep any openings away from the direction of the prevailing winds. Then determine if you are keeping your breeders separate from your flying bird's (best practice ). There are a lot of designs research what you think you need and then build it bigger than you think lol as you can count on having more than you thought.
Hello there. Well I took a long time but I’m starting on my little loft for now. Just going to build about 12 ft. Start with a pair I guess I don’t want a whole lot but I understand. Maybe 20 birds or so maybe 30 max. Just keep it small until I get the hang of things. I figured I could always expand it.
Posted 24th October 2019, 03:12 PM
Thumbs up

Do yourself a favor, go ahead and make a nice sized loft BUT do not get a lot of birds to start off. 3 pair is enough - only 3 pair. Form them you will get a dozen YB's to race. You will do a lot better with a small amount of birds, less to feed, crate, vaccinate, etc. They will be happier with lots of room and should do you good in the races. Then, next year you will still have the 3 pair of breeders PLUS the ones left over from the races to breed from. Now you will get a ton of YB's and they will be over-crowded and not race well. BELIEVE ME ! Been there and now I need to cut back on birds. Only breed from consistent race winners, get rid of birds that do not race well OR breed well - they just take up space and feed. Another problem is you need to keep YB's separate from the older racers, your loft will need 3 sections - breeders - old racers - young racers.
Keep it small - you will be happier !
Posted 24th October 2019, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat hunter View Post
Do yourself a favor, go ahead and make a nice sized loft BUT do not get a lot of birds to start off. 3 pair is enough - only 3 pair. Form them you will get a dozen YB's to race. You will do a lot better with a small amount of birds, less to feed, crate, vaccinate, etc. They will be happier with lots of room and should do you good in the races. Then, next year you will still have the 3 pair of breeders PLUS the ones left over from the races to breed from. Now you will get a ton of YB's and they will be over-crowded and not race well. BELIEVE ME ! Been there and now I need to cut back on birds. Only breed from consistent race winners, get rid of birds that do not race well OR breed well - they just take up space and feed. Another problem is you need to keep YB's separate from the older racers, your loft will need 3 sections - breeders - old racers - young racers.
Keep it small - you will be happier ![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
That makes a lot of sense. I didn’t know about having to have a third section. Thanks for sharing that. I was thinking about starting with just one pair. And get the hang of it. Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
homer, racing