Nesting material - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 4th February 2008, 07:46 PM
I use pine needles with paper nest bowls.I say almodt every year iam going to buy some plastic nest bowls but never do! Some of my birds use lots of pine needles and some just put a few in the bowl.I just throw them on the loft floor and watch them go thru them. Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 7th February 2008, 12:00 PM
I know what you mean Jeff, I first used tobacco stems a long time ago, I placed a whole box of them in the loft and before long they were gone, the birds built nests that a eagle would be proud of, could not even see the nest bowl they were piled so high, but that was when i thought my nest box needed to be 2 feet high, now i won't go over 16 inches high, today I'm trying the long stem pine needles I can get for free, I just pull a bunch together cut off the stems, then cut again in two even pieces, not sure how this will work out as yet but seems like it will work! On another note I do trim my tobacco stems down to a manageable size for the birds and also split them so that they are very pliable! I think for many a "picture guide" would be nice so it can be seen what is talked about and what it looks like, If i get some free time I'll try and take some pictures!
Posted 7th February 2008, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEJAY7950 View Post
I know what you mean Jeff, I first used tobacco stems a long time ago, I placed a whole box of them in the loft and before long they were gone, the birds built nests that a eagle would be proud of, could not even see the nest bowl they were piled so high, but that was when i thought my nest box needed to be 2 feet high, now i won't go over 16 inches high, today I'm trying the long stem pine needles I can get for free, I just pull a bunch together cut off the stems, then cut again in two even pieces, not sure how this will work out as yet but seems like it will work! On another note I do trim my tobacco stems down to a manageable size for the birds and also split them so that they are very pliable! I think for many a "picture guide" would be nice so it can be seen what is talked about and what it looks like, If i get some free time I'll try and take some pictures!
I wouldn't cut them in half. I bought a bundle of the shorter pine needles last year and they are still sitting under my loft. The birds didn't like them at all. I bought the long ones and got this nest. And I've had them much higher than that. They really do love the longer ones. In fact, I just banded the babies under this bird today and didn't even give them a clean nest bowl. They seemed so cozy down in the "hole" so I just left it a few more days.

Last edited by Lovebirds; 18th February 2008 at 04:14 PM..

Posted 8th February 2008, 02:28 PM
I like pine needles. BUT I have seen several people move over to kitty litter only for nest. Claim is kitty litter pulls moisture away keeping dryer nest. And after the birds get used to it you raise all the young you want. Me I stay with the pine needles.
Posted 9th February 2008, 05:48 AM
Renee, thanks for your picture and thoughts, but the pine needles I'm using seem way too long in fact they measure 14 inches in length is this the same as your pine needles? When i get home today I just have to take some pictures of stuff! pictures are a great way to show things! jeez i noticed you didn't even have to cut the stems, well that's a time saver! lol
Posted 9th February 2008, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Renee, thanks for your picture and thoughts, but the pine needles I'm using seem way too long in fact they measure 14 inches in length is this the same as your pine needles? When i get home today I just have to take some pictures of stuff! pictures are a great way to show things! jeez i noticed you didn't even have to cut the stems, well that's a time saver! lol
I'll have to measure. Guessing and thinking about it, they are probably 12 inches long at least.
Posted 9th February 2008, 12:27 PM
the picture i said i would post!
Posted 9th February 2008, 12:37 PM
Quote:
the picture i said i would post!
I'm pretty sure mine aren't THAT long........gee whiz!! I didn't measure mine yet, but I expect mine are more like 10 to 12 inches long. Hey, give em' a try. They have a way of placing them around the nest bowl and by the time they've sat on them for almost 3 weeks non-stop, they sort of "mold" to the bowl. I'd try them the way they are first and if it appears they are to long, THEN cut them in half. Those will keep the birds busy, that's for sure.
Posted 9th February 2008, 05:22 PM
My doves had trouble with anything more than 4 inches long, so I put in lots of newspaper shred plus the shaved aspen for traction. It looked good until one of the babies got his feet stuck and couldn't crawl back under daddy. I got him unstuck and tucked him back in.
Posted 9th February 2008, 07:16 PM
Ok Renee I'll give it a go and see what happens!
Posted 11th April 2008, 07:36 AM
UPDATE to this old post, yep Renee you were right the birds did get used to them and molded some fine nests, so i had better start collecting as many as i can get my hands on! They work great and i didn't have to cut them up either yippee!

Tags
feral pigeon, nest bowl, nest bowls, nesting material, pigeon supply, pigeon supply houses, pine needles, snowbird sue, splayed leg