Pigeons would not enter into loft until dark - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 9th September 2018, 07:04 PM

Pigeons would not enter into loft until dark

This is the 1st time this has ever happened. My pigeons were let out this evening by somebody they've never seen before. They flew around and ranged for about an hour and a 1/2 and then they would not come in when I called them for feeding... Could they have been spooked by that person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 9th September 2018, 09:38 PM
Maybe your pigeon only see u around the loft so any body else will be seen as a thread to them. Or that person scared your pigeon. If an animal enter the loft and pigeon get out they will even sleep the night outside the loft than getting inside. Some time it could stay in their memory for 3 days
Posted 10th September 2018, 12:42 AM
They wont come in for feeding unless they are hungry.

It could be, as you said, they got scared of the new person.

Hope they all came in at night.

Posted 10th September 2018, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the info!
Posted 10th September 2018, 01:29 PM
Most probably spooked by a hawk close to home and just couldn't get past the thought of it. Unless of course the other person caused a ruckus that spooked them but probably not.
Posted 15th September 2018, 01:34 PM
Location: I am back in my parents house where I grew up in Hixson Tn, which is now a part of Chattanooga
Something had to have disturbed them in some way. As others have mentioned if your birds get scared bad enough they can roost outside.
I have in the past had a cat or other animal get into the loft and scare the birds, and the birds wouldn't return to the inside of the loft for up to several days...
If something created enough disturbance inside the loft, they associate that with danger in the loft.. They may come to the loft, land on it, but just won't go inside until they feel sure the threat is gone.
If they get scared away several times during this period, they may associate it with the loft being an unsafe place permanently and refuse to go in again, and possibly take up somewhere else.. Another place that they feel safe..
I don't think a different person just letting them out would cause this, just seeing a different person that is... However, if something else had disturbed them beforehand it could be the reason that they wouldn't want to return.
Did the person follow the same procedure you normally do when you release them?
I'm not saying that they did this, but for instance, If the beat on the sides of the loft to scare the birds out quickly, or went inside and chased the birds until they all went out... THAT could be associated with an attack or danger, and unsettle the birds from coming back inside... A loud noise out of the ordinary could cause it.
The staying out is a safety defense when pigeons feel threatened... A hawk would usually be associated with an "outside" danger and they may be reluctant to leave the loft,or get up and fly...
About the only birds that will chance coming inside when a flock has been disturbed would be a parent bird, usually a hen, with eggs that must be kept warm... I have seen them brave past the threat and stay on their eggs, when others wouldn't come inside.
Keep check on the loft, watch for cats, or dogs around the exterior, neighbor kids even that may think its fun to make noises to startle and make the birds fly...
It could be any number of things. May be a one time scare, or reoccurring at different times.
Just be vigil... Hopefully it won't continue...