Wanting To Adopt A Rock Pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Homing & Racing Pigeons

Posted 1st April 2019, 05:02 PM

Wanting To Adopt A Rock Pigeon

I previously stated Eppi was a Rock Pigeon, but remember she was actually a cross breed of a Tumbler-Rock Pigeon. Our precious Tumbler-Rock Pigeon named Eppi passed on March 12, 2019. When she landed in our yard back in 2016, we knew something was wrong, because she could not fly, and kept turning her head upside down. It was a miracle she landed in our yard. We carefully caught her, and took her immediately to our aviary vet and they ran a test on her droppings and came back that Eppi had the dreaded paramyxovirus. The vet identified her as a tumbler crossed with the Rock Pigeon. They told us the virus had damaged her neurological functions to fly, and that while the virus may leave she may suffer with the damage done to her flying capability. We purchased a cage for her, and placed down soft towels, and made sure to get her beneficial foods which would help build up her immune system, plus we gave her liquid vitamins. She slowly started to recover, but could never fly again and her head had a slight tilt afterwards. We are both retired, so spending as much time with her helped us as well. She became the focal point with just the three of us. While we are still having our emotional roller-coaster from day to day, we eventually would like to adopt another Rock Pigeon. We know there are other pigeons to select from, but our interactions and love of this type of bird has made a positive impact for us. I know there are breeds of pigeons, but we only want to adopt a Tumbler-Rock Pigeon mix. We loved her booted feathers and want one that is between the ages of 8 months to 1 year old. One that has been hand held or one that may be handicapped and in need of an older loving couple. IF there is anyone who knows where we can adopt such a bird we live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area. We would love the opportunity to have such a beautiful and loving type bird to love and fawn over.

Last edited by Eppi; 2nd April 2019 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: Provided partial missing breed information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st April 2019, 05:44 PM
Hi Eppi, i can give you a male and female racing homers but you have to pay the shipping to send it to you and 20$ for the shipping box i f you can give me your zip code i can tell you how much the shipping is, these are 2019 banded birds they are about 4 months old. Beachwood
Posted 1st April 2019, 08:00 PM
Check out the Palomacy Facebook group. It’s the biggest network of pigeon rescuers I’ve found. There are pigeons everywhere in need of homes.

Posted 2nd April 2019, 04:07 AM
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of Eppi, I know how hard it is to lose a special friend, they are real members of our families.

I don't know how things work there but here some vets help animals in need (cats, dogs but even pigeons, etc) to find a family, for example I adopted 3 babies pigeons from my vet.

You could even try to post a message in the adoption section of the forum.

A big hug.

Last edited by Colombina; 2nd April 2019 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: Grammar reason
Posted 2nd April 2019, 05:31 AM
Palomacy as mentioned, that is your best chance at a yong rescue. Here is the link:

http://www.pigeonrescue.org/
Posted 2nd April 2019, 07:59 AM
Am sorry for your loss of Eppi. Would try Palomacy as well as local shelters and craigslist and see if local breeders have put up ads at your local feed stores.
Posted 2nd April 2019, 05:56 PM
I'm so sorry for your recent loss.
We have been actively looking for a home for a female rock pigeon who has lived in our house since October 2017. She is an orphan. My husband brought her home and hand fed her until she was big enough to eat on her own. She is beautiful! She loves to be held and loves attention and affection. She will cuddle on our laps, and will often fall asleep there.
If you have an interest, I can provide you with more information about her.

Tags
rock pigeon to adopt