indoor pigeon flew off accidently - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Daily > Lost Pigeons & Doves

Posted 21st April 2019, 07:39 PM

indoor pigeon flew off accidently

hi,
All my pigeons are indoor pigeons. i live in an 11 storey apartment on 5th floor and they are kept in the balcony enclosed by a mesh and a plastic sheet secured on top. They are not adventurous & never try to venture outside generally. But there were rains a few days back and a corner of the top sheet came off due to the winds and this one got out by mistake from the gap and flew off.
The one that flew off is a male and hes been with me for 8-9 years, and in the current house for 3 years(we have shifted 3-4 houses in between). He has been never let out to freefly. Its been 2 days and one night and he hasnt returned, and isnt seen anywhere around. What are the chances that he will come back?: And being an indoor pigeon for so many years what are the chances that he can adapt outside & fend for himself and find food or water. i just want him to be safe even if he dosent return. I feel terrible for not having noticed the gap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd April 2019, 08:03 AM
Our indoor male Blue was out for two days. I was frantic. I left food and water on the roof for him, played pigeon noises at dawn and dusk, and even put his mate in a cage outside so he could see her. After a lot of anguish by me and Blue being chased by a hawk, who he easily outflew, he came home. I hope your bird is home safely soon. Dont give up on him. He wants to come home.
Posted 22nd April 2019, 09:27 AM
If he can, they usually come back, especially if he has a mate. Not sure of the percentage though .

Posted 23rd April 2019, 12:56 PM
are they able to survive outside after being indoor for so long
Posted 23rd April 2019, 04:09 PM
Their chances of survival, unfortunately are not very good out there. Unless raised feral, then they have no idea of how to survive out there. A lone pigeon won't make it. He would need to join a flock, and that may not happen. I'm really sorry this happened. I have had it happen also, and he may not be able to find his way back, or a hawk could find him. I'm so sorry. Don't give up yet though, he may figure it out and make it home.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 24th April 2019, 01:15 AM
there are flocks of feral pigeons around here but he is not seen with them. i am suspecting he has wandered off far. hawks are not too much in this area though. Do indoor bird loose their magnetic ability to find their home back. or are they happy with their new found freedom so they dont try come back
Posted 24th April 2019, 09:27 AM
If they fly off, sometimes they can't find their way back and get lost. They don't know the area because they haven't been flying in the area. It isn't familiar to them. They need to be able to recognize their surroundings. If you live in an 11 story building, on the 5th floor, then all the balconies would pretty much look alike. And if there are more than just this one building, then they may all look alike. And if they fly far enough, they may find themselves in a strange area that they don't know, far from where you live. Usually when they are hungry they want to come home for food, but if they can't find home, they just get further lost. I'm sorry this has happened, and hope he is able to get back home.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 24th April 2019, 10:11 AM
we had looked around in the society taking care to look up every balcony and surrounding area to check if hes around. looks like hes wandered far off and im just hoping he has found a flock of pigeons to join with
Posted 25th April 2019, 12:50 PM
Sorry about your bird Naqshpa but if I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up to high. Like Jay 3 said I also lost a 5 year old bird that I hand fed from 5 days old. Broke my heart. That was eight years ago and even today when I see a flock of ferals I hope to maybe see her among them.
Posted 2nd May 2019, 01:07 AM
Wow - I'm so sorry. That sounds terrible. I lost my Clovey once when I didn't know any better and I'd walk around outside with her on my shoulder. It was a horrible experience, but I did find her alive and well, to my relief.

I wish that I'd have seen your post earlier. The first thing to do is to think where would your bird go, and go there when it's dark. You have to call its name. People may have thought that you were loony, as they did when I was doing that. But quite frankly, I didn't care. I wanted to find my bird. When they get lost, they are afraid. But when their human shows up, they will come to you.

Anything can happen. I will pray for your pigeon.
Posted 14th July 2019, 12:23 AM
As mentioned above they don’t lose their magnetic ability but they use their surroundings to guide them. Because the balcony’s all look the same more than likely he wouldn’t be able to distinguish yours from others. As far as his survival, I am fairly confident that he will easily survive. The first few days will be difficult but he will get hungry and find food on the ground. Being a male he will most likely invade into a flock trying to find a female and just end up mixed up with them. I mean look at all the other white pigeons with other ferals . He will be just fine 🙂

www.freewebs.com/clintsloft

Tags
indoor pigeon flew off