Bos little brother/sister - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 16th March 2008, 04:58 AM

Bos little brother/sister

Greetings everyone! I noticed a group of magpies circling Bos parentís nest this morning, I chased them off but then I noticed another baby dove on the ground just a few steps from where I found Bo. I looks grown up only that her beak is pink not black yet. I gave her some water n put some seeds in the box for her n left put her back outside in case the parents come. Iím a bit worried though, we have about 5 cats coming in our garden every night n we have a rotweiler doggy so Iím worried something might harm the poor baby. What would be the best for her? Should I bring her in get her war or leave her outside? Donít want anything bad to happen to her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th March 2008, 05:02 AM
Some nice pics here.Magpie is right above the box, I'm bringing her in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00257.JPG (65.9 KB, 93 views)
Posted 16th March 2008, 06:54 AM
I believe you did the right thing by bringing her in. Too many fledgling doves are preyed upon by cats. Perhaps you can release her once she is flying better. (This is a native dove, right?) We've had wild doves nest in our yard before. The first day the babies are out of the nest they are very vulnerable, and we also have roaming cats in our neighborhood . We once caught two fledgling doves and kept them overnight. By the next day they were flying much better and we let them go.

Posted 16th March 2008, 07:15 AM
Thank you for your reply Birdmom4ever, I am more confident now that I did the right thing. I rescued this little birdies brother not long ago, I named him Bo. He was a lot younger when I found him, still had fluff instead of feathers. Sadly he died after he flew out of my fiancťs hands and landed awkwardly and dislocated his leg  think he might have been ill and I didnít notice. This little one seems very happy to be inside. Wondered around the bed for a while then just settled down in her box and is looking very pleased. When I put her back out this morning she jumped out of the box and hid under the top. I checked on her a few minutes later and a magpie was right on top of the box I was terrified, thought he ate this sweet little birdie. She is in the guest room right now, itís quiet there and warm.
She is a euroasian collared dove think it is similar in looks to mourning doves, at least thatís what Iíve read.
Thank you again for your reply. I will try to feed him some Ready break later see if he wants to eat. In the mean time she has seeds and water in the box.
Posted 16th March 2008, 07:30 AM
Some people feel you shouldn't interefere, but just a day or so gives fledglings that much more proficiency at flying and fending for themselves. Cats are not natural, native predators so doing the "natural" thing and leaving vulnerable baby birds alone when cats are present is not, in my view, the right thing to do. I think it's better to help them.

Yes, I wondered if that was a Eurasian Collared Dove--similar to our Mourning Doves, I believe. At first glance I thought it was a Mourning Dove, then I saw that you are in England.

Best of luck with the little one. Baby doves are so sweet.
Posted 16th March 2008, 07:49 AM
Hi Bernadette,

I agree with Cathy, besides which doves should be able to fly when they leave the nest. If you could pick it up then so could any predator.

I had another one arrive yesterday, a friend found her on the side of the road. She is unable to fly or walk but I think she is already eating by herself...at least the seed is disappearing from the cage! I have called her Consuelo, because I had an older collared dove die this week. She had only been with me for a day and had some paralysis. She couldn't poo on her own and her poops were very green, liquid and smelly.

Cynthia
Posted 16th March 2008, 10:26 AM
Hello Cynthia! Yes, the parents are hanging around the garden as usual, eating, bathing, drinking, nothing out of the ordinary with them. This little baby I think is a girl,she has a girly face, if that makes any sense She can stand, walk perfectly, she seems to like my hands/fingers,grabs on to them and doesn't want to let go, I had a hard time just putting her back in her box. Is that normal?Might just be lonely poor thing. Pooped 4 times since i found her, seems to know how to peck at seeds, I spotted her doing it, but when I offer her some in a glass dish she seems scared. I spread some millet on one corner of the bed near where she has found a very comfortable place behind a pillow, I try not to disturbe her. Crop is nice and full, soft but bouncy,like a baloon. She refused ready break so I just left the seeds. Very strong and alert little birdie, nothing like poor Bo, bless him
Thank you for your reply! I will keep posting if I notice any changes.
Posted 17th March 2008, 12:54 AM
Good day to you all!Hope everyone had a great weekend Little birdie is ok, poops a lot. Iím a bit concerned that she wonít accept any ready break and I couldnít tell if she pecked at the seeds I left. I saw her pecking at the food I left for the parents on the ground when I found her. I leave the seeds on the ground for the pigeons they seem to prefer it there; they very rarely go near the bird feeder. I put some fresh water near her and some seeds in a flat glass dish so I can tell if she has any. We had a little bonding time this morning,she sat on my arm for about 20 minutes grooming, I just stared at her. Birds are fascinating, arenít they? Iím watching the Life of birds documentary every afternoon on discovery channel, itís amazing. She seems to be in good health, grooming, stretching, guess she just needs some time to get used to me before sheíll accept any food. She is a very pretty little birdie
Best wishes!
Posted 17th March 2008, 02:55 AM
Hey Bernadette!

I'm so happy for you! She is beautiful. And she looks so healthy
Have you got a name for her yet?
Posted 17th March 2008, 03:30 AM
Hey Nikku-Chan! Hope you are well! Iím very happy to have her with me, even if itís only for a few days. I was thinking she looks very much like a Peggy to me, donít know why, it suits her. Iím a bit worried thought. I let her go outside and wonder around the garden for a bit, I was watching of course. She started imitating the pigeons who were pecking at seeds.she swallowed something, donít know what it was. She started peeking not long ago, I tried everything to get her to have some ready break or seeds, she just tries to run away, sheís scared. She wonít stay in the towel cave at all and Iím running out of options. The parents didnít take notice, they make me angry, she was right there under the branch they were sitting on calling for them but they just f..ed off. Iíll keep trying to get her to eat out of the tube. I took apart a lipstick and used the thin tube to feed her. Donít know what Iím going to do if she doesnít eat. Hope she didnít swallow something bad. Think I worry too much
Posted 17th March 2008, 04:19 AM
Greeting everyone! Iím very worried about birdie, keeps peeking the poor thing but when I approach her with the tube or with seeds she just runs away. Tried the towel cave again, put her beak jently in some water, she just shook her head. Should I just leave her in peace to rest? Sheís dozing off every now n then. Donít want to make her uncomfortable or to scare her even more. Would it be a good idea to let her go back out in the garden? She imitates pigeons and other birds but I donít know if she is swallowing seeds or just grass or dirt or what not Ö feel so helpless again. Bo ate from his tube straight away. Guess he was more used to me then this little lady. Hope Iím not doing more harm then good with all this harassment. My fiancť said it would be better if I just left her outside. But itís so cold and there are magpies everywhere and cats and all sorts. Wish I knew what to do
Posted 17th March 2008, 04:27 AM
Hi Bernadette,

Leave her alone for at least a few hours. Bo took to the tube because he was so much younger. Put piles of very small seed around her, rather than in a dish but make certain that she knows where the water is by dipping her beak in. And watch those poops. They will tell you whether she is eating properly. With just seeds and water they should be firm and brown, with a cap of white.

My little Consuelo is eating and drinking on her own just a day after I got her and she is a lot younger. If I am in the room she is a little statue, but if I watch her from hiding I see her start to eat. And her poops are great.

If you are worried you could put her on the branch of a tree and hope that her parents will come down to feed her.

Cynthia
Posted 17th March 2008, 04:33 AM
Hey Cynthia! I put her on my desk and she seems to be pecking at the seeds around her but when sheís on the bed she wont touch them. I keep dipping her beak in the water but she didnít drink any. Seems to peck at the seeds when they are on a hard surface so ill put her in a big box and scatter seeds around her. Iíll keep an eye on her. Thanks for your reply. I feel really dumb having to go through this again. She just reacts to everything very differently then Bo did, thatís why Iím confused.
Posted 17th March 2008, 05:21 AM
After all these years they can still confuse me. Consuelo either struggles or does nothing at all when I dip her beak in water.

The Gower hospital say they use cameras to watch the birds so that they know what they are really doing. I can see why!

Cynthia
Posted 17th March 2008, 05:59 AM
Hello Cynthia! I just brought Peggy back inside,she was out in the garden for more than an hour, but its getting cold now so I thought it best if I got her warm.One of the parents was nearby on the garage roof but didnít take any notice of her till I picked her up.She seems to want to be outside all the time, flew up on the windowsill just now and tried to go out again. Will it be ok if she goes back out? Sheís in the guestroom right now, settled down, doesnít look like she touched the seeds.Dipped her beak in water she doesnít like it one bit, donít know if sheíll ever do it on her own.I put some fresh seeds around her and scattered bits of porridge oats in case she can pick those up easier. Do you think sheíll start eating if she gets really hungry?Iíve tried everything.

Tags
baby bird, baby dove, baby food, broken wing, collared dove, injured wing, mourning dove, nesting material, pigeon friendly, tail feathers, wild bird, wild dove