Found a Pigeon Egg!!!! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 24th May 2005, 12:24 PM
Hi nyc18,

Oooooh, have no worries, there are no risks of disease in this context for you for your Dog.

However, for the Pigeon's sake, you must ensure the Dog is not allowed to be on the balcony in any way or it will put an end to whatever possible innocent happy Nesting or Baby activities as appear to be developing there.

No 'dogs' on the balcony...

If you are 19, and are interested in disease, please consider that the hi-school you had recently been in, and moreso, whatever grammar school as was previous, represented many thousands of times the risk, and real risks in the cases of 'schools', for communicable disease transmissions.

Lol...

Healthy 'Nest Building' Birds are nothing to worry about, and, for that matter, even conspicuously sick wilted Birds are no more a hazard as individuals, to one's health, than going to the bathroom is, or going to a public bathroom is. One merely washes one's hands nicely after either...one merely observes traditional hygene practices and common sense.

So, have no worries there, on any of it, but do make sure that no 'Dog' or 'Cat' or other animals,are allowed on that balcony, and also, keep people off of it as much as possible too. Birds elect Nesting sites for privacy and for feeling safe there, and if they feel their provacy is compromised, they may, or will abandon it, Eggs or no Eggs, Babys or no Babys...so, keep your presence on the balcony at a polite-to-them of minimum or they will feel freightened and doubtful. Make sure no one is disturbing them by looking out or moveing curtains too much...

Birds which one has raised or socialized into one's home or loft, are accepting of one's presence near their Nests, and are a different matter then Wild ones.

Well, it sounds like a possible love affair with Pigeons may be beginning for you with this present situation...!

New York had been a cultural Pigeon-Interest Capital for certainly 150 years, or maybe more, and many of the most famous 19th Century Racing Pigeons and Fancy Pigeons, were New Yorkers..!

Ohhhh, my...so, you are in a good City for developeing further interests, and finding local people who have a long tradition behind them.

Best wishes..!

Phil
Las Vegas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th May 2005, 02:17 PM
I see thanks for the info. I realize the disease question was stupid but people say all these different things about pigeons so I thought I should ask and I know my dog isn't going on the balcony lol. You can't really see the nest b/c we have a whole bunch of plants on the inside so you can't see through the glass window(its a ceiling to floor one). I'll keep you updated.
Posted 24th May 2005, 03:39 PM
Hi nyc18,

Sounds good...

Somehow, the 'disease' thing is repeated by so many people, who heard it from others and so on...that, and the phrase of how Pigeons are flying 'rats', which we see people usually saying with a kind of amusement and veiled ploy...and they have simply never been distracted from that passive acceptance or cynicism, to learn for themselves.

So, not at all a stupid question, but an important one to find our abot, so you do learn for yourself, and then, if you like, you may inform others.

Pigeons, truely, are wonderful Birds in endless ways, and overall are likely to charm us once we have had some chances to know them with an open mind.

Phil
Las Vegas

Last edited by pdpbison; 24th May 2005 at 03:59 PM..

Posted 7th August 2011, 08:55 AM

Pigeon nesting in my Ficus tree

I live in a 3rd floor apartment and have noticed a pigeon sitting on my patio recently. Yesterday I noticed that the bird has laid 2 eggs and is sitting on them. I live in Dallas, Texas and our the temperature is hitting 108 or higher degrees everyday so I need to water my plants twice a week. I do not have anything under the plant to allow to water from the bottom. Will it hurt the eggs, and eventually the baby birds if the soil is wet? Any advise would be appreciated as I am really excited that the mom chose my little space to lay her eggs.

Signed,
Bird Lover
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eggs.jpg (94.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg pigeon.jpg (85.5 KB, 105 views)
Posted 25th August 2011, 07:35 AM
Yes, it may as the water and soil in the heat will cause the egg to heat up too much. While the mother is out carefully pick up the eggs with a glove so it can't get your scent on them and place them somewhere in the shade and nearby it's old nesting place. When the mother comes back make sure to not disturb her or she may attack you.

-Pigeon Amateur
Posted 25th August 2011, 10:42 AM
Chances are if you move the eggs to somewhere else other than the pot, the mother will be totally confused & may well abandon them, although handling them will not leave any "scent" so no real worries there (many breeders handle eggs without any problems).
What you could do is when the mother is away, move the eggs and some of the "nest" (not that there is much lol), water your plants, place a plastic bag on top of where the nest was, then replace nest & eggs.
This will protect the birds from the damp soil, & hopefully the mother will continue to sit on them as they are in the same location.
Posted 25th August 2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
Chances are if you move the eggs to somewhere else other than the pot, the mother will be totally confused & may well abandon them, although handling them will not leave any "scent" so no real worries there (many breeders handle eggs without any problems).
What you could do is when the mother is away, move the eggs and some of the "nest" (not that there is much lol), water your plants, place a plastic bag on top of where the nest was, then replace nest & eggs.
This will protect the birds from the damp soil, & hopefully the mother will continue to sit on them as they are in the same location.
good idea.
Posted 25th August 2011, 11:28 AM
And in answer to a previous post, there's no problem with getting human scent on pigeon eggs - or babies. They ignore it, unlike some other birds or animals.

"Pigeons know more than we think - and think more than we know" ~ John D.
Posted 8th October 2011, 09:23 PM
today my dad and i found multiple pigeon eggs in an air-conditioner we tore out on his buildings rooftop. when we frist cut into it 2 pigeons flew out so i have reason to believe that 2 of the 5 eggs may be good to hatch. right now i have them under my desk lamp on a damp cloth at about 97.7 degrees F. i do not have access to an incubater and was just wandering that if kept at the current conditions they will hatch. any help would be cool, thanks!
Posted 9th October 2011, 07:25 AM
I would just toss them, as even if you could get them to hatch, raising baby pigeons is not an easy task. Then being hand raised, they aren't good candidates for release. Just not worth it. The pigeon parents will go elsewhere and start another nest.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 9th October 2011, 04:56 PM
Aw, that mom looks so cute! What a great place to lay eggs in! I wonder where's da egg daddy?!!
Posted 4th April 2012, 02:07 AM
Hi,
There is this one pigeon. It laid an egg on my balcony behind the washing mashine on a plastic bag. My mom made the mistake of shifting the eggs with the plastic bag to a cardboard box. The pigeon came back and started looking for it but did not see it. I have shifted the eggs to a cardboard box made from leaves and sticks. The eggs are safetly in the box, but one is slightly damanged but it is not showing and sign of the egg white.What should I do?- I live in India so there is no chance of getting an incubater but the temperature is 30-35 degrees. HELP NEEDED BADLY!!! NEED ADVICE!!!
Posted 4th April 2012, 04:47 AM
Well if it was damaged then it probably won't hatch. Did the parent bird come back to them? If not, then they won't hatch, and the birds will lay more eggs somewhere else. These things happen. Nothing you can do.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 4th April 2012, 05:01 AM
I agree with Jay3, nature has it's own way of recovering. If you don't have any pigeons to put them under toss them, as they are not devolped so no pain will be induced.

Lucas

~~~Lucas~~~
Posted 4th April 2012, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swethaa.Suresh View Post
Hi,
There is this one pigeon. It laid an egg on my balcony behind the washing mashine on a plastic bag. My mom made the mistake of shifting the eggs with the plastic bag to a cardboard box. The pigeon came back and started looking for it but did not see it. I have shifted the eggs to a cardboard box made from leaves and sticks. The eggs are safetly in the box, but one is slightly damanged but it is not showing and sign of the egg white.What should I do?- I live in India so there is no chance of getting an incubater but the temperature is 30-35 degrees. HELP NEEDED BADLY!!! NEED ADVICE!!!

this thread is from 2005 originally. the dates are at the tope of the first post. if you want to share you may get more response if you open your own updated thread.

Tags
egg laying, fancy pigeons, nesting material, pigeon eggs, pigeon milk, pigeon parents, racing pigeon, young bird