Found a Pigeon Egg!!!! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 22nd May 2005, 12:11 PM

Found a Pigeon Egg!!!!

I live in an apartment building and this morning I noticed a pigeon kept flying onto the terrace railing. At first I shooed it away b/c they usually do that from time to time but when it kept coming back, I spotted an egg underneath the table I have in the corner of the terrace. So I assume that is the mother that keeps coming back. So what should I do? I heard that if I touch it the mother won't want it anymore? The mother just watches the egg from the railing so does that mean she has yet to sit on it? Or is it about to hatch? Should I leave it alone since the mother is watching it? I don't want to interrupt any process the pigeon has to do but I don't want to see it die either. Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd May 2005, 12:46 PM
Hi nyc18,

Thank you for taking a kind interest in thie little Egg...!

As far as I know, young females will sometimes lay an Egg in some odd place in their ways of still growing up. One finds these Eggs sometimes on the ground, or, if from indoor Birds, on a table or somewhere, or as you say, on a Balcony.

Usually, if an Egg for some reason is fallen from a Nest, it will break when it hits the ground or other surface.

As they grow up more and are more organized in their understandings, and, as their systems have experimented a few times in Egg-making, their Eggs will be lain in deliberate Nests, and will tend almost allways to be attended by them and their mate.

So...my guess, is that this is probably an infiertile Egg, from a relatively young Bird, whose body is trying out it's systems' operations toward future prospects, and that this is a different phase, an early testing phase, of what will become, in time, a real scenario of Egg laying and Next making with a mate.

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 22nd May 2005, 01:46 PM
I see what you are saying but the pigeon keeps coming back, so does this mean it wants it to hatch? Should I just leave it alone or should I put stuff around it? Its under a table in the corner so I'm sure that will give it some coverage away from the rain but I don't know. Thanks for your sharing what you know though.

Posted 22nd May 2005, 02:48 PM
You can try to place the egg in a bowl, see if she will sit on it. Many times pigeons do not sit on the egg unless the second one is laid. The second egg comes about 24-48 hours after the first one.
As for nesting material, they are generally able to find outside, like twigs, leaves etc.

Reti
Posted 22nd May 2005, 03:42 PM
Well, why not..? !

Sure, some shallow Bowl or one inch high Cake Pan...or a shallow Wicker bowl of some kind...you could fold a small terrycloth wash-cloth or something for it's bottom, and set the Egg there...even the bottom one inch or so of a small cardboard Box which one could cut down from their usual height...

And see if the Bird accepts the arrangement...

As sheltered as possible would maybe be good too...out of the direct sun and so on...

Phil
Posted 23rd May 2005, 05:23 AM
Well I didn't need to do anything cause the mother is sitting on it now....but is having them there healthy? My parents are kind of worried about it being there, they don't want any diseases or anything....
Posted 23rd May 2005, 06:21 AM
Having pigeons nesting on the balcony does not pose any risk for catching diseases for humans.
Contrary to popular belief pigeons do not carry more diseases than any other birds. Most pigeon diseases are not contagious to humans. The few that are are quite rare and as long as the birds look and act healthy there is nothing to worry about.
Of course proper hygiene measures are always a must with all birds and animals. If you handle the birds or clean the balcony wash your hands thoroughly after that.

Reti
Posted 23rd May 2005, 11:40 AM
Exclamation

Egg Found!!! Please Help Me!!! EMERGENCY!!!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!
my dad came home from work with a pigeon egg (it was just laid when a man shot its parents) !!!!!!!!!!!
it is now wrapped very carefully in a straw basket, th egg is in a "nest" i made from soft stuff ie. wool,baby cloths,cotton wool fluf etc.
it has a lamp over it (not a proper one, just a normal lamp) i made sure it is not too hot....i dont want fried pigeon!!!! it is nice and warm now.
is it going to be OK????? i realy want this baby to survive!!!
can i hav any info/tips/advice please???

oh,and, once this bird is hatched how do i feed it??? i know there is this pigeon milk stuff wich im gonna beg of th vets, but how much and how often do i give it??
THANKS SO MUCH...... regards, beki (bird_brain)
Posted 23rd May 2005, 01:52 PM
Hello and Welcome to pigeons.com

Thank you for taking an interest and such great care of this egg.

Oh, how horrible, taking Gods' creatures like they were nothing???I'm not even going there, do you know who shot the birds?......

If this egg was just layed it may or may not be fertile, but there is definitely no embryo in it until the egg has been incubated. Cell division begins at incubation. For now you can just keep it in a warm soft cloth that breaths, and keep it very still, don't shake or anything. It would need to be in an incubater in a day.

You could try to incubate it, and see if it is fertile, it will take approx. 18 days to hatch, but you will need a set of pigeon parents to feed it the first few days of its life, or it may suffer too. Pigeon parents have a special milk newborns need. That would be the first choice for feeding and keeping the baby warm, as God gave them all the equipment. If you really want to pursue this we will help, let us know.

You could also just bury it in respect for the bird who layed it and say a prayer for the parent and its mate that were shot. God has a special place for pigeons.

Treesa

Last edited by Skyeking; 23rd May 2005 at 02:03 PM..
Posted 24th May 2005, 12:36 AM
Smile

pigeon egg!!!!!!!!!!!

hello again!!
i do realy want to let this one to survive!!!!
if it was me in that egg, i'd want someone to save me!!!!
im going to go to my local vet and try and get some pretend pigeon milk,
or i might get hold of some racing pigeon person and give them th egg to incubait.
thanks very much!!!
love form beki (bird_brain)
Posted 24th May 2005, 01:29 AM
Red face

pigoens egg

hello again,
i know there is quite a possibility that this little egg wont hatch.
but i still want to try.... its what his/her parents would want. but i want to do it properly, so that this baby wont suffer and be hungry.
do i definatly need a proper incubaitor or shall i buy an infa-red lamp and hang it over the 'nest'???
i hope im not being a pest!!!!
thanks and kind regards,
beki (bird_brain)
xxxxxxx
Posted 24th May 2005, 07:02 AM
Hi Bird Brain,

Your determination and caring is very admirable. However, no a lamp of any sort won't do the trick. The developing embryo needs to be at a very constant and specific temperature of about 98.5 F. Also, the eggs needs humidity to grow and hatch properly and the egg needs to be turned numerous times per day. If the heat is dry and the eggs aren't turned, the developing embryo will stick to the egg shell inside and suffocate. This is even if the temperature was exactly right.

I (feel) others may not agree, but since the egg is new, you should probably just discard it unless you can get or make a proper incubator. If you look online, you will find instructions to build your own home made incubators but they aren't as reliable or consistant. You could again IMO, be causing more harm in the end by improper heating/humidity/and then there are chances of the chick developing abnormal. This happens sometimes with incorrect temperatures.

I'm sorry, this is only my opinion but I feel it is something to think about.
Posted 24th May 2005, 08:41 AM
Unhappy

regardin pigeon egg

hi,
yes, what you say is true. i am hoping to give this egg to a racerpigeon breeder today.
but if not i guess it would be best to dicard it.
thanks once again,
beki (bird_brain)
Posted 24th May 2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Bird Brain(Beki),

I'm glad you have understood/agreed what I was saying. You can definitely try to get a fancier to incubate the egg for you. Pigeon eggs can remain in a state of suspended animation for a long time provided that they are kept in a cool environment. You don't want them in a fridge but you want them cool, at about 7-10 C/47.5 F and kept stationary. They can be kept like this for up to a week or so and then re-incubated and hatched if possible.

Best of luck with this option,
Posted 24th May 2005, 11:41 AM
The pigeon made a second egg! And they are bringing twigs and stuff. So far my parents are tolerating them but I am uncertian if they will for long. But I have another question. I have a dog and obviously I would keep my dog off the balcony but does having them there pose any risk of disease for my dog? Or is it just as long as my dog doesn't touch them? I have a feeling my dog will try and go after the chicks if she sees them walking around on the terrace....

Tags
egg laying, fancy pigeons, nesting material, pigeon eggs, pigeon milk, pigeon parents, racing pigeon, young bird