Help needed with baby rescue pigeon - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 11th May 2007, 02:31 PM
If it's pox, you won't want to put anything on it. Am I just crazy or does that look like pox to anyone else?

Pidgey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 11th May 2007, 02:35 PM
Ah yes. I see now. I think he meant that I first needed to get the anti-biotic cream - which is kind of looking unlikely. I will check though. And then do the bathing. I think I'm going to need a prescription from the vet.

Are there any over the counter eye infection creams that would do the job? I'm guessing not really since I don't know of anything out there that can be used in lieu of antibiotics.
Posted 11th May 2007, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
If it's pox, you won't want to put anything on it. Am I just crazy or does that look like pox to anyone else?

Pidgey

Oh heck. Pox ? That sounds nasty. And you say put nothing on it ? Not even saline ?

Posted 11th May 2007, 02:40 PM
I think it's just pure saline. I will double check it though. If not presumably if I boiled some water and added some salt it would be similar ?

One more thing the link on feeding food says to use a good quality dried dog food (we actually have that in) but it contains meat derivatives. An earlier poster said pigeons were vegan.

OK. So now I've lost the plot slightly lol. But I want to try and feed the pigeon now. I think it's probably best to get to a vet asap especially if it's pox (not that I know what that means for pigeons).

Thanks everyone. I will check back on this thread regularly and let you know how things go once I've got things sorted out.

Last edited by Flyaway; 11th May 2007 at 02:48 PM..
Posted 11th May 2007, 02:45 PM
Incidentally, Flyaway, Pox is a viral disease similar to chicken pox in us. It comes in a couple of forms: dry and wet (diphtheritic). That looks like dry pox, which is more of an inconvenience than life threatening. It has to run its course, though, as there's nothing we can do about it. The standard treatment is to try and keep the lesions dry so that it doesn't spread around as much. They usually get it on their unfeathered skin on the beak and around the eyes but it can occur on feathered portions as well. It usually takes a couple of weeks and then a relatively horrible looking lesion can just "go away" without leaving much if anything by way of scarring.

That crust looks identical to pox to me. Unfortunately, the site search engine won't do three-letter words (anything less than four letters) so it's not so easy to go looking for past contributions unless you use a mainstream search-engine trick like this... in the Google search bar type:

site(colon)pigeons.biz pox

...and it'll probably find most if not all of the instances of the word that follows the directive to search a specific site (site(colon)pigeons.biz). Note that there is no space between the "site(colon)" and the actual site. I had to write out the "colon" because this site's software kept interpretting it as a "happy face" (i.e. siteigeons)

Pidgey

Last edited by Pidgey; 11th May 2007 at 02:47 PM..
Posted 11th May 2007, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Am I just crazy or does that look like pox to anyone else?
I have only had one pigeon with pox. THat was woo pigeon and it didn't affect the eye. We don't have many mosquitoes here so it isn't as common as over there. But what I have seen wasn't a crusty grunge.

One of my one eyed pigeons was found with a crust covering his eye. The whole crust fell off in one piece but the eye was beyond repair. That wasn't pox.

This is a link to the Chevita page on pigeon pox with photo:

http://www.chevita.com/tauben/behand...ctions_pox.htm

Cynthia

Last edited by Feefo; 11th May 2007 at 02:51 PM..
Posted 11th May 2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks Pidgey. I will check that site - I think that may have been one of the sites I was looking at earlier today.

Once again. Thanks to everyone who's helped me here. I will let you know what happens.
Posted 11th May 2007, 02:54 PM
Seems like most of the "crusty grunge" pox pictures that I think I remember seeing have come through Terry. I found one of her pictures on her website but it's not good enough for this. Hopefully, Terry will come on later and take a look since she's seen plenty of pox. I haven't seen it with any of the pigeons here, knock on wood.

Pidgey
Posted 11th May 2007, 03:05 PM
I have made an enlargement of the eye area. Perhaps Terry can have a look and tell us how it compares:

Last edited by Feefo; 5th November 2007 at 01:19 PM..
Posted 11th May 2007, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyro51 View Post
Just a word of warning, if the eye can't be saved please don't be persuaded to PTS. I have three one eyed pigeons and can make room for another if necessary.

In the meantime bathe his eye regularly with warm sterile saline. They sell it at Boots and you can sometimes buy it in the form of pods which are used as eye washes by first aiders. If you can get some Tincture if Euphrasia that is good in an eyebath. The homeopathic remedy euphrasia in the form of pilules is also good for eye infections.

Cynthia
Hi Cynthia,

Quite so!

I have wild/feral Pigeons in my out door flock who are one-eyed, and they do fine, and have been fine for all the time I have known them.

They manage very well...

Even blind Pigeons of course can be charming house-birds and companions, and they learn lots of things for getting by in our quite easy care and looking after them.

This little one looks at-a-glance to have been quite healthy and robust, and likely got his Eye scratched with a subsequent infection of some kind, or got some horse dung dusts into it and got a conjunctivitis from the germs of that.

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 11th May 2007, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post

Pidgey

Hi Pidgey, all...

I never see Pox here ( and hope I never do! ) but I do see occasional 'crusty' or crusted over eyes which I attributed to sundry injury-infection of whatever sort, so my familiarity is with that, and not with identifying Pox.

So, for the Bird's sake, I do hope it is not Pox, but rather just the 'usual' dampish crusted over conjunctivitis of whatever provenance, which an appropriate Antibiotic Eye Ointment would address nicely and see clear up with but these pro-tem transient and passing topical symptoms which once gone, leave a perfect Eye.

Now, since I do not know Pox, is application of Antibiotic Eye Ointment contra-indicated?

Phil
Las Vegas
Posted 11th May 2007, 04:34 PM
That could be pox, but it doesn't look quite like pox to me. I think I would try washing that eye with warm saline solution in the hope of being able to open the eyelid and see what's under there.

Here are links to some pox pictures .. some are pretty unpleasant, so look at your own risk:

http://www.rims.net/2006Aug03

http://www.rims.net/2006Jul19

http://www.rims.net/2006Jun02

http://www.rims.net/2005Dec24

http://www.rims.net/2005Nov22

http://www.rims.net/2005Aug18

Terry

Posted 11th May 2007, 04:42 PM
They have a terramcym eye ointment on the pigeon sites(Foy's), I know I just slaughtered the spelling. I believe that is an eye anti biotic ointment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him.
Posted 11th May 2007, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyaway View Post
I think it's just pure saline. I will double check it though. If not presumably if I boiled some water and added some salt it would be similar ?

One more thing the link on feeding food says to use a good quality dried dog food (we actually have that in) but it contains meat derivatives. An earlier poster said pigeons were vegan.

OK. So now I've lost the plot slightly lol. But I want to try and feed the pigeon now. I think it's probably best to get to a vet asap especially if it's pox (not that I know what that means for pigeons).

Thanks everyone. I will check back on this thread regularly and let you know how things go once I've got things sorted out.

Hi flyaway,

Please, take pause to read the posts already written to you?

Yes, you can Boil Water with Salt, let it cool, keep it coverd, and use as a Saline rinse...but a saline rinse does almost nothing to effect any meaningful address of underlying bacteria, or to oblige them to cease their infection or damaging of the infection site.

Yes, feeding him IS of importance, as is not screwing it up where "then" only use of force and imposition will work since you by then have alienated and freightened the Bird instead of comforting it in his terms, and you will have lost his co-operation and prevented trust or ease.

Antibiotic Eye Ointment is generally obtained with or without a perscription, depending on who you get it from, depending on who has it and whether you even asked them for any.

Farm Stores sell it over the counter...around here anyway.

Pharmacys tend to require a perscription.

You are in England, and like here, I am sure you will get differing results for asking of differing sources as far as getting some.

Vets will sometimes sell or give you some for the asking, if they are in the mood, and if they feel comfortable with who is asking, and how they are asking.

The Ointment effectively moistens the afflicted are...where merely washing can moisten with a faster drying or dessicating, which...anyway, is SEEMS like a nice thing to do but is typically not as benificial as one might hope...where the Antibiotic Eye Ointment immediately moistens, loosens, penetrates, and gets after the actual Bacteria which are making the problem, and the crust and so on can come off by itself with no one needing to keep fussing with it or risking further injury to the very delicate and compromised membrane of the eye proper.

Please, read what I had already written you before doing anything rash and without knowing "how" to do it...! Lol...

Too -

If others are sure this is "Pox" and if Pox requires differing address or treatment "Eye-wise", then please listen to them and read the Posts written to you by them also, so we do not have to keep repeating the same info over and over.

Eyes are a delicate matter...so is feeding a Juvenile where you and the Bird may wish to benifit from eachother's co-operaiton...

Best wishes,

Phil
Las Vegas

Last edited by pdpbison; 11th May 2007 at 05:13 PM..
Posted 11th May 2007, 11:20 PM
Good morning! How is the pigeon?

Quote:
I am sorry about the confusion. Hard boiled egg yolk is one of the ingredients of the Pigeon Milk Replacement diet for baby pigeons, together with strained chicken baby food and low fat natural yoghurt. Eggs and egg derivatives are also one of the ingredients of Kaytee Exact which most of us use for rearing baby pigeons. As far as I remember this is because they need a higher level of protein when they are young so you didn't make a bad choice by offering it egg.

And yes, you can give it soaked dog biscuits despite the meat derivatives. Or moist wholemeal bread.

I would never release a one eyed pigeon. They are too vulnerable to predators and traffic because they are so easily blind sided. Not that we expect your little pigeon to have lost the sight of that eye, we are just thinking worse case scenario.

Cynthia

Tags
adult pigeon, baby bird, baby food, baby pigeon, feral pigeon, pigeon milk, pigeon rescue, wildlife centre, young pigeon