I have found a baby pigeon who is not flying - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 22nd January 2020, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
He looks quite well fed, continue with what you are doing. The droppings have more solids in them, although the urates are a bit yellow. Can you take a flashlight and check deep inside the back of the throat for yellowish growths that might indicate canker? This disease is quite common amongst fledglings, but can easily be treated.

Other symptoms will be: drinking plenty of water, losing feathers on breast area, making rotating movements of the crop after feeding, having difficulty swallowing, sitting fluffed up.

You can put a brick inside the box for him to perch on. When he is ready to go (wait at least another month), you can always do a soft release from your balcony. We can chat about that later. His parents are still around, but might not recognize him now if you put him back outside.
I fed him tonight and i fed him 28-30 servings. When i fed him for 29th time he was gasping for air he was opening his beak to the skies. I fed him for the 30th serving and he did that again like he was gasping for air so i did stopped feeding him. He was gasping for couple of times. His crop is inflated like balloon. Did i overfeed him? That's why he was gasping for air? His crop was even inflated while after i was feeing him, i fed him last time in the morning 11 hours earlier. Could it be possible that he was already full at that time and his crop was not empty. He was gasping for air for couple of times.
I will be more carefull from next time.

He is not eating or drinking by himself. I need to force him to eat or drink.

I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS PLEASE ANSWER THEM SO THAT I CAN HELP HIM.

1. How many times i should feed him everyday? Right now i am feeding him two times morning or evening.

2. How many times i should force him to drink water in the day? Right now i am making him to drink water 3-4 times in a day.

4. Will soft food like cerelec or grind seeds mixed with water will be easy to slide down his throat easily. If that is true i can feed him it by the syringe.

5. How to tell if a pigeon is hungry?

6. I keep him all day in the box. Should i leave him on the floor out of box for few hours in the day? Does he get bored.

7. Will he starts flying automatically? Will he come out of the box by himself? Right now he just sits in the box all day.

8. Is i am hampering his growth to fly by keeping him in the box?

9. How to make him learn to eat and drink food by himself?

10. Is he gonna take 1 month to be able to release in the wild. I thought that he will be ready to fly in one week?

Thank you for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd January 2020, 09:45 PM
Feed him 3 times a day, I'm not sure how much seeds. Maybe 1 teaspoon at each feeding. Make sure there are plenty of droppings inbetween feeding. If he does not get hungry inbetween feedings, then he won't start eating seeds by himself. They usually drink water after eating, so after getting fed, dip his beak into the waterbowl.

You can let him out of the box to excersize, he will start flapping his wings and start flying small distances. Flying by himself does not mean he is ready for release. In nature they follow the parents around after they have fledged and are still dependant upon the parents.

Try to get a mixed dove seed mixture (seeds of all shapes and sizes) for him to eat. You only have 1 type of seed in the bowl. He might start with the seed that's easiest to pick up and will then later move on to the other seeds.

Before feeding him, spend time encouraging him to eat by himself. Play with the seeds by using your fingers. Pick them up and drop them again in front of him. He will start pecking when hungry. This will take time and patience, but he will eventually learn.

Syringe feeding a pigeon is very dangerous, you can easily aspirated him. That's why I suggested feeding him peas. They quickly learn to eat the peas by themselves.

Try to get a little cage for him. When you are going to do the soft release from your balcony, he will need to spend time outside to get familiar with the area. Even after releasing, you will need to supply him with food and water. He never followed his parents around to learn from them where to find food and water, so even after releasing he will be dependant upon you.

A week is much too soon for him, he will just starve out there.
Posted 22nd January 2020, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Feed him 3 times a day, I'm not sure how much seeds. Maybe 1 teaspoon at each feeding. Make sure there are plenty of droppings inbetween feeding. If he does not get hungry inbetween feedings, then he won't start eating seeds by himself. They usually drink water after eating, so after getting fed, dip his beak into the waterbowl.

You can let him out of the box to excersize, he will start flapping his wings and start flying small distances. Flying by himself does not mean he is ready for release. In nature they follow the parents around after they have fledged and are still dependant upon the parents.

Try to get a mixed dove seed mixture (seeds of all shapes and sizes) for him to eat. You only have 1 type of seed in the bowl. He might start with the seed that's easiest to pick up and will then later move on to the other seeds.

Before feeding him, spend time encouraging him to eat by himself. Play with the seeds by using your fingers. Pick them up and drop them again in front of him. He will start pecking when hungry. This will take time and patience, but he will eventually learn.

Syringe feeding a pigeon is very dangerous, you can easily aspirated him. That's why I suggested feeding him peas. They quickly learn to eat the peas by themselves.

Try to get a little cage for him. When you are going to do the soft release from your balcony, he will need to spend time outside to get familiar with the area. Even after releasing, you will need to supply him with food and water. He never followed his parents around to learn from them where to find food and water, so even after releasing he will be dependant upon you.

Thank you for the help

Posted 22nd January 2020, 11:03 PM
Quote:

These are the pics after his morning feeding.

Is he being well fed?

http://imgur.com/gallery/LulczwX
Posted 23rd January 2020, 03:24 AM
Yes, he looks fine. But he will need to start eating by himself. Before feeding him next time, put the bowl in front of him and push the seed around with your finger. He will only start eating when he is hungry

Is he still tame? Then it will be easier to teach him, but more difficult to release him.
Posted 23rd January 2020, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Yes, he looks fine. But he will need to start eating by himself. Before feeding him next time, put the bowl in front of him and push the seed around with your finger. He will only start eating when he is hungry

Is he still tame? Then it will be easier to teach him, but more difficult to release him.
Today i fed him in the morning.In the evening his poop became white watery, no solid. As soon as i fed him his poop became somewhat solid with water still. He is pooping solid watery since. Could there be any underlying disease? Or it could be just because he was hungry?

He is still tame. He doesn't show much resistance while i pick him. But he resist alot and shake his beak when i do try to feed. But as soon as i put him on heatpad he resist less during feeding.

When he was hungry i handpicked some seeds in front of him and he did peck at the seed for 1 time. But i did fed him later because he was very hungry.

He look very normal and active to me.
He checks his surroundings when i take him out of the box.

By tomorrow i will feed him 3 times in a day.

How to prevent from over feeding him?

http://imgur.com/a/ysZ9JXU

Last edited by Aakarshan; 23rd January 2020 at 11:01 AM..
Posted 23rd January 2020, 07:47 PM
Quote:

Today's morning when i tried to feed him, he wasn't seem much interested to eat, and was falling off to sleep so i did stopped feeding him and i put him on heating bottle and let him sleep.

I can see that his crop balloon is still puffed up - not full but somewhat something is in there.

He didn't seemed eager to eat but rather than to sleep. He was kept running away from me and kept searching for the place to sleep.

One thing to notice he was again opening his beak several times when i was feeding like he was gasping for air. I don't know if he was. So i did immediately stopped feeding him and let him sleep. I fed him very little. Whenever he gasp for air like this he get me worried.

He is in the deep sleep now.

His overnight poop looks fine to me. Solid with some water.

His under feathers does seems to be growing now.

Could there be any underlying disease. Could it be cancker? I couldn't find any yellow thing inside his mouth.He doesn't have feathers under his beak.

One amazing thing he did today. He was trying to come out of the box. So, i did put a small container inside and he used it to come out of the box.
Posted 23rd January 2020, 09:53 PM
I could not view the last photo. Try feeding him a bit less at each meal and rather concentrate on getting him to eat by himself. Canker does not always show up as yellow growths in the throat. When they have canker, they are very thirsty the whole time and drink a lot of water. Does he drink water by himself?

Maybe you can start looking for the meds called metronidazole, just for in case you might need it. You can try a pharmacy (drugstore), no need to buy just check if you will be able to get it. You can use the human type for pigeons as well.
Posted 26th January 2020, 08:44 PM
How is the baby doing?