NEED Help ASAP - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 21st March 2008, 08:12 AM
You could almost drive it there sooner.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 21st March 2008, 10:22 AM
Would like to take some holidays and make the trip... but as you might know I have a pigeon rescue center with +/- 700 pigeons to take care of... no holidays for me!
I sent the Kaytee this afternoon by post to Sasha, should be there on thursday.
Myriam
Posted 21st March 2008, 11:37 AM
Hey guys,
What about adding a little apple cider vinegar to the formula? Or giving the baby yoghurt? Wouldn't those help maybe with crop emptying? We only took care of 1 baby, but from what I recall, we alternated between doing those two things...
Sabina

Posted 21st March 2008, 11:53 AM
The watter bottles proved a miracle.. he is now very warm and we have used a baby termomether and his temp is 39.4

the crop is empty and i have feed him nestles baby rice powder.. i used only 0.5 ml of it so will feed him again in an hour or so.

Blasted thing has regained some strengtha and is now proving to be a problem with feeding :P as he is trashing around each time he hears my voice. :P

He looks better he sleeps all the time. I will uplode some more pictures in a few hours after i feed him again. right now i have to go back to work:P

so next post will be in aprox 3 hours. :P
Posted 21st March 2008, 12:34 PM
I am not sure about Apple Cider Vinegar in such a tiny baby, but the yogurt would help with some probiotics.

Reti
Posted 21st March 2008, 02:26 PM

[img=http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6051/11472332fp7.jpg]

The litle one craped a few moments ago while we were prepairing the food. So ignore it on the left side :P

[img=http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8302/73390597et9.jpg]

This is a way we prepare him so that he understands whats gona happen .- place the injection to his beak. put just one drop out on top of his beak- as its usualy open he tastes it and then is happy to provide a few openiongs of his beak on his own. after the 2. or 3. swallow we have to open the beak slowly by hand as he isnt willing.

[img=http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4634/85798709ou2.jpg]

His crop was empty when we started and he recieved around 0.7ml of runny nestle baby rice. He looks like this now. is it enough or should we give him more ? i mean check his crop in this picture i belive you can see it quite good.

Please info as we are still not sure how much food to give him. We feed him about evry 2 hours. If we give him more food then that would prolong the time between feeds?? with last one around 01.am and then basicly nothing till 07am. is that wrong or ? should we give him in the night also ? as he is asleep each time we check him.
Posted 21st March 2008, 02:38 PM
The crop looks good. That is what it should look like.

Reti
Posted 21st March 2008, 02:40 PM
His crop should balloon out some after he has been fed so you will be able to tell there is food in the crop. I would think you should feed him 1ml at this point, maybe a bit more. Because of his age, you should feed him during the night, at least until he is bigger and will take more food at each feeding.
Everyday you will feed a bit more because as he grows, his body will require more food.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 21st March 2008, 02:57 PM
What a precious little guy!
Sasha, do you allow me to be his godmother? LOL
Posted 21st March 2008, 02:58 PM
@ reti the crop is good as it is on the picture.. thats a full crop .

@ all

Well i dont think he has grown any in the last 3 days. atleast i cant figure it out He has gained a bit of collor.. but as he is the whole time closed up i cant realy figure if he is growing.

Maybe i cant see it yet. But he is thrying to stand on his legs while throwing him self around to move.
Posted 21st March 2008, 03:11 PM
I have a baby right now being raised by the parents and I don't think he is growing any either. So, maybe we just don't see then grow because we look at them all the time.

Reti
Posted 21st March 2008, 03:24 PM
@ Myrpalom ofcourse you can be his godmother. Right now his first name is Luka but you can add a midle name if you want :P
Posted 21st March 2008, 03:33 PM
it sounds like you're doing great, Sasha

If you let him stick his beak in between the join of your 2 fingers, he might stick it in, and open it for you.

Make sure when you put the food in, it goes right at the back, otherwise he could inhale it.

By the way, an injection is a syringe (what you have) with a needle on the end, so you don't have an injection, you only have a syringe (or at least i hope so!)

keep up the good work!
Posted 21st March 2008, 04:03 PM
Please info as we are still not sure how much food to give him. We feed him about evry 2 hours. If we give him more food then that would prolong the time between feeds?? with last one around 01.am and then basicly nothing till 07am. is that wrong or ? should we give him in the night also ? as he is asleep each time we check him.[/QUOTE]

Sasha, I would feed him about 2 cc of food and wait about 2 1/2 to 3 hours before feeding him again. You're going to need to increase that amount in the next day or two to about 3 cc because they grow very fast. I'll try tonight to check my records on the amounts we fed but I think by the time ours are a few days old they were getting about 5 - 7 cc at each feeding.

Also, if you are feeding him at 1 am and again at 7 am, I think that would be sufficient. All the babies we've raised were never fed during the night, say, from 10 pm until 6 or 7 am, unless they were especially frail and we have only done that with one or two. The key is always watch the crop to be sure it is going down and keep them warm.
Posted 21st March 2008, 04:13 PM
You are doing a great job with baby Luka. He's very lucky to have you as "parents". If you have some plain yogurt, you can mix a tiny amount of it with the gruel, which will help him digest and give extra vitamins. Also, here is a method of hand-feeding that I find the easiest:

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333/BabyFeeding

They very quickly learn to stick their beak into the hole and eat a lot easier that way, easier for you and for the baby. Great job thinking up the hot water bottles. It sounds like you're doing just fine.

Talk to me,
Coo to me,
Bow to me,
Listen to me.
And I'll teach you
To fly with me
And I will love you
Like no other....

http://picasaweb.google.com/awrats3333

21 Amazing Facts You Might Not Know About Pigeons!

Tags
apple cider vinegar, baby bird, baby bird formula, baby food, baby pigeon, feeding pigeons, heating pad, nest bowl, pet store, pigeon rescue