Pigeon Laws - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > I found a pigeon or dove - now what?

Notices

Posted 13th January 2008, 01:53 PM
Unhappy

Pigeon Laws

I live in Virginia and we have had a pet pigeon since Aug 07" and she got attacked by a chicken hawk friday (Jan 11, 2008) and was bleeding and coulnt stand on her right foot on her stick. So we took her to our local Dog/Cat vet and she recommented that we take her to a bird vet. ( Alexandria Emergency Service Animal Hospital) and they took her back and they come out to tell me that its a law that we couldnt have a wild bird and that they had to take her from us. So needless to say we no longer have our pet pigeon any longer. Is there anything that we can do to get her back? Is this a law? (Virginia)

Myrtle (Myrtle Beach was her home) stayed inside at night and when dark came she was ready to come back in the house. She thought she was a dog and played tag with our little dog. She also didnt like to stay outside if it was cold. We really miss her and see that alot of people have them as pets. Is there anything anyone can help is do?

Anyone's help would greatly be apperiticated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th January 2008, 01:57 PM
You can legally have fancy and racing pigeons anywhere in the U.S. tell them it is a pure breed racer or a fancy but it wasnt banded so it was given to you... They'll believe you...
Posted 13th January 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi Swetcountrygrl and welcome to Pigeon-Talk.
Pigeons (unless they are one of the native pigeon species) are not covered by any federal laws as to possession.

The pigeons that most people see in the urban environment are from domesticated stock that were brought into this country hundreds of years ago (these aren't the fancies or other banded pigeons that people raise) and have escaped.

The vet was wrong in taking this bird away from you for the stated reason. Is it possible to reclaim it? Go get her if you can as she is a non-native species and likely as not, the vet service will discover that they will have to euthanize the bird.

Some local ordinances forbid the keeping of pigeons, but that's another issue. Go get your birdie.

Good luck and please tell us how this turns out.
I cannot help that I was born without a golden egg . . . . . . .
So when you walk by me, please look me in the eye.
If it would come down to it -- would I live or die?

-- Joyce Glass

Flitsnowzoom

Posted 13th January 2008, 03:48 PM
Try contacting these people.. Maybe they can help.

http://vpda.tripod.com/VPDA.htm
Posted 13th January 2008, 03:50 PM
If you cant get your bird back I would call the AU they will usually help with this kind of stuff even if you're not a member.
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:15 PM
Arrow

=(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
If you cant get your bird back I would call the AU they will usually help with this kind of stuff even if you're not a member.

I emailed the owner of vpda. I didnt see a number to call them. But we had told the vet (that took her away) that we found her on vacation and her mom had left her so we brought her home and she became our pet. So how can I now get away with telling them shes a fancy or whatever?
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:24 PM
This makes me so angry! Pigeons are a non-native species in North America and are not protected by the laws that protect native species. There is no law against you owning or keeping a pigeon! It's outrageous that the vet confiscated your bird. I guess all you can do is tell them that the law is on your side. Good luck.
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:27 PM
Here is a pic of Myrtle. And as you can see she wasnt kept in a cage and we let her outside all the time. She thought she was a dog...lol
We miss her so much!

Posted 13th January 2008, 04:29 PM
The only pigeon I know of that you cannot have without a permit is a Band Tail Pigeon. They are native to North America. Any other pigeon breed is legal here. What did your bird look like? Do you have a picture of her that you can post? If she is a Band Tail, then she must go to a rehabber, not be euthanized. If she is any other breed, the vet is totally out of line confiscating your bird.

Margaret
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:30 PM
What a sweet girl! I sure hope you will be able to get her back. Did the vet indicate he would treat her?
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:31 PM
I didn't look far enough. She is NOT a Band Tail pigeon. The vet needs to return your little girl. There is nothing illegal about keeping her for a pet.

Margaret
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:31 PM
Good thinking, Maggie--I didn't even consider the possibility it could be a band-tailed pigeon. But clearly it's a feral, so the vet was way out of line.
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to think what agency could help you. I believe the Department of Fish & Game enforces laws concerning wild species, but I don't know that they would be of any help in this situation. They might be able to steer you the law in question, though.
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmom4ever View Post
Good thinking, Maggie--I didn't even consider the possibility it could be a band-tailed pigeon. But clearly it's a feral, so the vet was way out of line.
Well you guys have gave me great hope in calling the vet tomorrow and trying to get her back. What should I tell the vet tomorrow when I call them? I just hope they havent taken her away or put her down.
Posted 13th January 2008, 04:40 PM
Swetcountrygrl, Have you considered sharing your story with the local media? Perhaps the community newspaper? I'd send an email to the editor and some of the reporters, explaining what happened, then follow up with phone calls. Be sure to attach photos of Myrtle (who looks absolutely darling!). I'm really sorry (and ticked off) at what that vet did. For them to take her, without warning, is criminal, imho.

Tags
animal hospital, avian vet, baby pigeon, broken wing, domestic pigeons, feral pigeon, pet bird, pet pigeon, pigeon fanciers, pigeon rescue, racing pigeon, rock dove, wild bird, wildlife center, wildlife rescue