Pigeon-Talk banner
4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Tracey Hershey 
#1 ·
Hi all -
an all-white pigeon showed up on my patio this afternoon, with a leg band on each leg and a four-digit number.

How do I contact the owner to tell him/her where their bird is?

#4 ·
Hi Tracey,
If you can't find the site, I'll input it for you.
I just sent you a private message -- you can send one back to me with all the info if you want.
Thanks
If you can possibly catch it that would be best. All the fireworks going off are liable to scare it.

#5 ·
Please report it to whomever one reports these things to...I'm not a 'pigeon person', I just hopped online to see if there were any websites where pigeons were registered.
I'll keep my eye on it, it seems to be satisfied with investigating my backyard.
I don't see any signs of injury or illness, other than what appears to be a lot of water coming out of it's beak when it bends it's head down to eat.
Is this normal?

#6 ·
Hi Tracey, Did you get my private message. We will need an email address and phone for you. You can return that by private message. We need to have contact information so once we locate the owner, they can get in touch with you.
Were you able to catch the bird yet? You can keep it in an overturned laundry basket in a pinch. It's probably not far from home.
I don't think that water should coming out of its nose; hopefully someone else will be on soon to help out.

#9 ·
ok, I have the laundry basket at the ready.

Mary (the very nice moderator) called me. I may have to do the trick with the stick and the string, because it won't let me get close enough while carrying the basket to actually trap it.

We're leaving soon for the local fireworks, I hope to have the bird safely contained by then.

thanks for everyone's help!

It would be really neat to reunite this pretty bird with it's owner.

#14 ·
Tracy,
The best time to capture the bird is when it's dark because they don't see well in the dark.

#15 ·
morning update -

The bird looks much perkier this morning, is down from the roof, and eating busily.
I tried once again to get close enough to read more of the leg band, but it moves away when I try.
I think it best to keep feeding it and letting it get used to me.

If it is still here (and I hope it is) when I get home from work today, I'll try again to get closer.

#17 ·
Thanks for that info, ohio -- We've seen a few coming in from that area over the last few days. I wonder if that's the cause.

#21 ·
bird still here, but remains at large.

for those of you keeping track of this bird's story...it is still here, resting contentedly (I assume) in the same spot as last night.
I was unsuccesful trying to catch it, it seems to be getting stronger and more interested in keeping distance between itself and me.
I'll be surprised and sad when it does decide to leave us, what a neat visitor it's been.
although...it is a feather covered poop machine, judging by my roof and patio. :)

#22 ·
for those of you keeping track of this bird's story...it is still here, resting contentedly (I assume) in the same spot as last night.
I was unsuccesful trying to catch it, it seems to be getting stronger and more interested in keeping distance between itself and me.
I'll be surprised and sad when it does decide to leave us, what a neat visitor it's been.
although...it is a feather covered poop machine, judging by my roof and patio. :)
Tracey, these guys can be very illusive if they want to be. Although I would love to try to get her/him home, the fact that you can't catch it means it must be healthy. We get so many that people turn in birds that they said they "just picked it up"..........when you can do that, the bird is in big trouble. So, at least we've got that to be thankful for.
A short story...........a few weeks ago I was working on another case. Bird was hanging out but wouldn't leave the couldn't be caught. One morning, the lady was on her way out to go to work and accidently hit the panic button on her key chain. Scared the crap out of the bird. It took off and the next day the owner called her and told her the bird showed up at home that afternoon. LOL
So, she may just leave and go home one day out of the blue..........we'll just see what happens.

#24 ·
still here!

I've given up trying to capture the bird, but have started to enjoy its company, so to speak.
It played in the water from the hose today, and took a beautiful lap around the backyard. I thought for sure it was circling, to think about which way 'home' was, but after making a complete loop, it came back to the patio.

It seems to have regained its strength, and is probably ready to attempt a flight home.

#25 ·
I've given up trying to capture the bird, but have started to enjoy its company, so to speak.
It played in the water from the hose today, and took a beautiful lap around the backyard. I thought for sure it was circling, to think about which way 'home' was, but after making a complete loop, it came back to the patio.

It seems to have regained its strength, and is probably ready to attempt a flight home.
Or stay to keep his lovely new friend company.:)

#26 ·
bird gone home

Yesterday, my pretty friend flew up to the topmost part of our roof, and was looking around in every direction.
The next time I looked up there, the bird was gone.

I would really like to know if it got home alright.

what a neat experience. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
The next time a pigeon appears, I'll know it's just here for a rest before it continues on its way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.