Help! What do I do with these babies when I move? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 20th March 2008, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
It really does seem like things sometimes happen for a reason!

I had talked to Terry earlier today and we arranged for me to bring the babies to her this coming Tuesday. After our conversation, I opened our balcony door to let some air in because our apartment was pretty stuffy. My cat, Pepper, decided to push through the screen door when I was in the bedroom, or so I'm guessing. Not to long after that, my husband came home and started moving around boxes. He moves a box and we notice Pepper under the dining room table laying next to none other than one of the baby pigeons!

He must have been there over half an hour, it's a miracle he did not kill the baby. He didn't even play with it, seems like he just went on the balcony, got the baby, brought it in (causing a few wounds), sat it down and laid with it!

I freaked out and called Terry right away. I had read on here earlier that cat saliva can be deadly to pigeons so I knew I couldn't just put it back outside with the mother. I decided to bring the babies to her tonight. And good thing I did! She saw right away they both had canker. And although I am mad at Pepper for dragging the poor thing inside and probably scaring it half to death, it is a good thing I got both of them to her tonight as they might not have made it til Tuesday!
I'm so glad all turned out well.

You're exactly right, things DO happen for a reason.

Pepper could have killed that baby in an instant had he wanted to.
Strange as it may sound, your description of what happened sounds to me like he wanted to help the baby. And he did.

Many thanks to you & your husband for taking the time to seek help for these two sweet babies.
I hope you have a safe journey.

Many thanks to you as well, Terry. Looking forward to pictures as time permits.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th March 2008, 09:32 AM
Thank goodness Terry was able to take them immediately. But the parents...can they be treated for canker?

Yesterday I collected a collared dove from someone whose cat had brought it into the house unharmed. That one wouldn't have survived without the cat's intervention. Some cats know more than they let on.

Cynthia
Posted 20th March 2008, 10:04 AM
October Moon,
Thank you so much for your concern about these babies. Without Peppers intervention, the canker might have gotten to the lethal stage. It certainly sounds as if he was intending to help, not hurt. And thank you also for getting them to Terry immediately. If anyone can pull these little guys through, she can. I wish you a smooth and successful move. Please check back in with us after your move and see how things are going as well as say hello to all of us.

Margaret

Give Pepper a nice scritch on the neck for me and an extra cat treat.

Posted 20th March 2008, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyro51 View Post
Thank goodness Terry was able to take them immediately. But the parents...can they be treated for canker?

Yesterday I collected a collared dove from someone whose cat had brought it into the house unharmed. That one wouldn't have survived without the cat's intervention. Some cats know more than they let on.

Cynthia

The parents are gone. The nest is literally right next to the edge of the balcony, which honestly always worried me since we're on the third floor. Every time they heard the door open they would fly off. Well, the mother at least. I haven't seen the father since before the eggs hatched

Ever since Pepper went out there I haven't seen the mother around. I'm sure she got scared off and now that her babies are gone she has no reason to come back. And, even if she did she would fly off before I could even get to her.

In all honesty, she looked young and very healthy the times I did see her. I'm sure she has it as well, but I was reading about it and from what I read adults can sometimes live with it without it really affecting them too bad. I'm hoping that's the case with her.
Posted 20th March 2008, 07:52 PM
Unhappy

Sad Update

I'm very sorry to report that the baby that the cat brought in died this afternoon. I can't believe it was due to just the minor cat caused injuries. I knew we were in trouble this morning when I got the babies out to feed them and clean their brooder box. Both babies had very full crops when they arrived last night .. lots of seed in both of them. This morning the crop of the cat caught baby had not emptied at all while the crop of the other baby was completely empty. The cat caught baby was lethargic and the other baby was being a typical wild and crazy baby pigeon wanting to be fed. Both babies got their first dose of canker med last night and another this morning. I gave the cat caught baby some ACV water and was hoping to see the crop empty by afternoon. Unfortunately, I found the baby dead with a still full crop when I checked them around 3 PM.

Hopefully the other baby will be fine.

Terry

Posted 20th March 2008, 09:03 PM
Oh no! That makes me very, very sad. Well, at least we tried. I feel so very guilty that Pepper was able to get out there, but he's never before tried to push open the screen door (honestly I didn't ever even think it was possible, I have no idea how he did it). I was really hoping the injuries were minor enough that he actually helped the babies by making me get them to you sooner. But it sounds like either way this baby might not have made it.

Do you think it was due to just the injuries or do you think the canker had something to do with it as well?

Last edited by OctoberMoon; 20th March 2008 at 09:06 PM..
Posted 20th March 2008, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
Oh no! That makes me very, very sad. Well, at least we tried. I feel so very guilty that Pepper was able to get out there, but he's never before tried to push open the screen door (honestly I didn't ever even think it was possible, I have no idea how he did it). I was really hoping the injuries were minor enough that he actually helped the babies by making me get them to you sooner. But it sounds like either way this baby might not have made it.

Do you think it was due to just the injuries or do you think the canker had something to do with it as well?
The cat injuries were truly nothing more than a couple of scrapes. I'm positive that those did not cause the baby to die. I'm sure the stress of being cat caught had something to do with things, but I'm also pretty sure that this baby was probably eaten up with internal canker. Assuming that is/was the case, then there was nothing that anyone could have done to save the baby.

I'll keep everyone updated on the other baby .. so far it is doing just fine.

Thanks again for making the long journey down here last night. I wish I had happy news about both babies, but that was not the case.

Terry

Posted 21st March 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear the one baby died, but I'm hopeful for the other one.
Thank you for the update, Terry, I know you are very busy.

Posted 21st March 2008, 08:11 PM

A Couple Of Pictures Here ..

http://www.rims.net/2008Mar21 The surviving baby is doing very well.

Terry

Posted 22nd March 2008, 05:55 AM
I'm glad to see Punkin and the surviving baby doing well, as well as the Huntington Beach babies, gosh....it doesn't surprise me anymore, what people do...how precious life can be so discarded.

I'm glad the floppy ear bunny made it to your place, and it's not EVEN Easter yet.

The ducks look like they are happy campers.

Thanks for taking the time out of YOUR VERY BUSY schedule to post the pics.

Posted 22nd March 2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks for posting an update on OctoberMoon's babies, Terry.
I'm so sorry to hear one has passed away. It does sound like he may have had some underlying problems, in addition to the canker.

Wishing the best for the other & all your rescues.

Cindy

http://www.pigeonangels.com

As we fly,
Let us be safe from the predators that share the sky.

If we become ill or injured in any way,
Let us find safety where we are welcome to stay.

Cynthia Boyce
Posted 22nd March 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for having a look, Cindy and Treesa. All babies are doing well this morning.

Terry

Posted 22nd March 2008, 08:04 PM
Hello, Terry. I have been reading your rescue work secretly for a while. I just wanted to let you know how much admiration and respect I have for your hard work. It is not easy to do what you are doing financially, physically and emotionally. I do small rescue work (nothing I can brag compared to your work), but it is very emotionally draining sometimes…that is the most difficult part for me (and lack of time). It is my dream and my biggest wish to buy a farm and be able to rescue as many animals as I possibly can handle…someday like you!
You have my 100 % support. I wish I were a little closer to you so I could give you a hand…
Posted 22nd March 2008, 09:16 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Hato, and for the work that you do. It IS emotionally draining at times, but the little ones need each and every one of us to help them when they require assistance .. so .. you just keep on going. Sort of like being a human Timex .. you take a licking but keep on ticking!

Terry

Posted 23rd March 2008, 07:22 AM
Terry, I'm really sorry to read the cat caught baby died. Sounds like the canker was to blame.

Tags
baby pigeon, collared dove, pigeon rescue, pigeon resources directory, wildlife rescue