Need Advice About a Pigeon's Nest On My Window - Page 10 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Wild or 'Feral' Pigeons

Posted 27th March 2019, 12:45 PM
What would be a good spray or powder to use that is pigeon-friendly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th March 2019, 07:02 PM
Any bird spray from a shop that sells birds, or a spray or powder with Permethrin in it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 29th March 2019, 08:00 AM
Thanks, I'll look for one, though I haven't found any yet--most shops are focused on cat and dog products and there aren't many bird products. I don't suppose that a cat or dog spray could work even if it has Permethrin in it?

On another note, I put the food out in the afternoon as I always do, and the flock came to eat. When I came back about 45 minutes later, I found an egg there. No bird claims it, and it is highly unlikely it belongs to the nesting couple as they are already sitting on two eggs (which will make a third one very rare), the hen doesn't venture to that area (she has her own food closer and doesn't spend much time at the location where the egg was), and it will be next to impossible for the hen to lay a 3rd egg in the nest and somehow move one of the eggs from there to where the egg was found, so it has to belong to another bird. It is also very unlikely it fell from above and remained intact, so some pigeon must have lain it, which seems like a strange thing to happen in that specific place.

Any advice on what I should do? The egg wasn't in any sort of nest, it was just sitting there. I think I'll wait until night time and remove it. Is this thing common?

Last edited by Friend John; 29th March 2019 at 08:02 AM..

Posted 29th March 2019, 10:11 AM
Yes, sometimes eggs do get laid in odd placed. Probably a young hen. just toss it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 29th March 2019, 10:14 AM
Yes, sometimes eggs do get laid in odd placed. Probably a young hen. just toss it.
I wouldn't use something for dogs or cats.

Posted 30th March 2019, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend John View Post
Thanks, I'll look for one, though I haven't found any yet--most shops are focused on cat and dog products and there aren't many bird products. I don't suppose that a cat or dog spray could work even if it has Permethrin in it?

On another note, I put the food out in the afternoon as I always do, and the flock came to eat. When I came back about 45 minutes later, I found an egg there. No bird claims it, and it is highly unlikely it belongs to the nesting couple as they are already sitting on two eggs (which will make a third one very rare), the hen doesn't venture to that area (she has her own food closer and doesn't spend much time at the location where the egg was), and it will be next to impossible for the hen to lay a 3rd egg in the nest and somehow move one of the eggs from there to where the egg was found, so it has to belong to another bird. It is also very unlikely it fell from above and remained intact, so some pigeon must have lain it, which seems like a strange thing to happen in that specific place.

Any advice on what I should do? The egg wasn't in any sort of nest, it was just sitting there. I think I'll wait until night time and remove it. Is this thing common?
If you feed away from the nest at the same time everyday, and not over feed they will come to you, leave the feed there. The pigeons should get off the nest for you to dust it or spray it when they go to eat.

Pigeons have poopy nests that is just the way they are, I’ve read that is how the young get their probiotics to build their immune system this way.

If you want to stop the cycle, just take up newly laid eggs toss them , after the last ones fledge, and pick up the the nest and clean the area . They may build another new nest there or go elsewhere.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 30th March 2019 at 07:45 AM..
Posted 31st March 2019, 06:44 AM
I don't want to stop their egg laying cycle, I just want it to be like it used to, where after the squabs fledge, they'd take a few days\weeks off before laying eggs again, which gave me time to clean the nest properly and make them a new one.

Anyway, went into a store and found this product:

UltraShield® EX Insecticide & Repellent

It is used on horses primarily, and it says:

"

As the most advanced formula Absorbine® offers, UltraShield® EX fly spray delivers proven fly control horse owners like you depend on for the comfort and protection of your horses. When you need to eliminate fly frustrations, reach for The Fly Spray in the Black Bottle™.

Kills and repels more than 70 species of biting and nuisance flies, mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats
Weatherproof for up to 17 days with UltraBond™ Technology
Ideal for the most challenging conditions
Advanced formula contains multiple sunscreens and coat conditioners, including aloe and lanolin
Can be used on horses, donkeys, mules, dogs, and as a premise spray
Ready to use, water-based formula

UltraShield® EX Insecticide & Repellent can also function as a premise spray—an important part of your overall fly control strategy. Premise sprays are commonly used to kill biting and nuisance flies, as well as crawling species such as deer ticks and carpenter ants on surfaces inside your barn."

This is the label: https://absorbine.com/wp-content/upl...pray-label.pdf

Product:
https://absorbine.com/products/fly-c...ltrashield-ex/

https://www.amazon.com/UltraShield-B.../dp/B0042KYW2Q

The ingredients are:

Permethrin: 0.50%
Pyrethrins: 0.10%
Piperonyl Butoxide: 1.00%
Other ingredients (inactive compounds): 98.40%

I know it's not for birds but like I said, it's hard to find things for birds around here. Is that okay to use, or should I keep looking?
Posted 31st March 2019, 10:19 AM
I would look for a spray or powder that is just Permethrin.

Posted 1st April 2019, 09:07 AM
I’ve never had to spray my pigeons nests. All has been fine I think because old nest were taken up and did not have time to harbor any parasites/bugs . I cleaned up the nests when the babies fledge, as the pigeons were sitting on fake eggs for two weeks. I’d take the eggs out and do what needed to be done. Sometimes it just makes sense. Fake eggs can be found at pigeon supply sites online.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 1st April 2019 at 09:35 AM..
Posted 1st April 2019, 09:37 AM
This may work with tame pet pigeons, but the pigeons I'm talking about are feral. I can't clean their nest when they sit on eggs, fake or not, because they are always sitting on them. They are also not in a cage, but in a gap between my glass window and the plastic blinds behind it, so the location makes it a bit more tricky. In the past, when they took some time off between their squabs fledging and laying the next set of eggs, I had no issues and was able to clean their nest the first time they'd leave the nest empty for the night, and make them a new one. But now they have laid eggs and sat on them before their squabs fledged, 3 times in a row, so there is always a bird in the nest sitting on eggs, along with their squabs, that have yet to fledge. I just can't clean the nest in these circumstances.
Posted 12th April 2019, 07:22 AM
I just found another egg outside the nest, right in front of the entrance. I also managed to get a glimpse at what the birds are incubating and there is only one egg in the nest now, so I'm assuming the one outside was somehow moved by the incubating couple from the nest, which is not easy to do. What would be the reason for doing that?

The eggs were laid on March 26th and 28th (or perhaps 27th) so they are due to hatch any day now. I'm quite nervous of finding out if the egg is intact and fertile (I'll get it when it gets dark), what should I do if it is? There'd be a bird in there, fully formed and ready to hatch by now.
Posted 12th April 2019, 07:45 PM
Just put it back in the nest. Who knows how it got knocked out. Sometimes happens if another pair is trying to take the nest. Or a predator stealing the egg.

Posted 13th April 2019, 04:31 AM
Given the location of the eggs, right at the corner, near the wall, I can't see any way it could have been moved that far by accident--not only is it a long distance, but it had to also have been pushed over the rails on which the windows slide and they create a hurdle because of the height difference of the protruding "rails". To place the egg where it ended up, right outside the entrance to the nest is a 90 degree turn right at the opening of the nest , which is very difficult to do by accident.

I was around all day and didn't hear any fighting or struggling noises, which are very easy to hear. No predators can get to where the nest is, too. I really think it was done by the nesting birds on purpose.

Anyway, it's all moot now, since the egg was pushed by one of the birds and landed on my neighbor's laundry roof, broken. I didn't see anything that looks like a bird, so I'm guessing it wasn't fertile.

Last edited by Friend John; 13th April 2019 at 04:38 AM..
Posted 13th April 2019, 07:51 AM
She could of dropped the egg, sometimes they don’t make it to the nest and she just laid it there. Or sometimes eggs get stuck in the “egg pocket”, (an indention under the breast where the eggs are covered for incubation) in this indention if feathers are a bit wet or moist eggs can cling or get suction in the pocket, only to fall when the bird moves off the nest to go eat etc.. leaving them in seemingly strange locations.

If you are wanting to help these feral pigeon, just treat them as if you are their keeper. Husbandry goes with that. Examples:
Hatch control by using fake eggs(over population =more diseas)
Clean the nests up after fledging, sweep up the mess, scrub the area with soap, lay down diatomaceous earth, or poultry powder for parasites. There are drying agents sold by pigeon supply as well.
Paper nest bowls make for easier clean up, I’d use the large ones. Just toss after they leave the fake eggs or after they been “incubated” them for three weeks. The nesting habits change with the seasons . They slow down as the day light gets shorter.

Last edited by Ladygrey; 13th April 2019 at 07:54 AM..
Posted 13th April 2019, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
She could of dropped the egg, sometimes they don’t make it to the nest and she just laid it there. Or sometimes eggs get stuck in the “egg pocket”, (an indention under the breast where the eggs are covered for incubation) in this indention if feathers are a bit wet or moist eggs can cling or get suction in the pocket, only to fall when the bird moves off the nest to go eat etc.. leaving them in seemingly strange locations.

If you are wanting to help these feral pigeon, just treat them as if you are their keeper. Husbandry goes with that. Examples:
Hatch control by using fake eggs(over population =more diseas)
Clean the nests up after fledging, sweep up the mess, scrub the area with soap, lay down diatomaceous earth, or poultry powder for parasites. There are drying agents sold by pigeon supply as well.
Paper nest bowls make for easier clean up, I’d use the large ones. Just toss after they leave the fake eggs or after they been “incubated” them for three weeks. The nesting habits change with the seasons . They slow down as the day light gets shorter.
It is unlikely the hen laid another egg. She was already incubating two eggs, and suddenly there is only one egg in the nest, and another egg is resting outside the nest. The explanation about the "egg pocket" might explain this, if it means that the hen incubated the eggs, got up and walked outside, and one egg stuck to the "egg pocket" and dropped after the hen walked some distance.

I care a lot about these birds, but you have to keep in mind that these are feral birds who are completely free and can come and go as they please. They don't live in a coop or an aviary, but in a small gap between my window and the blinds behind it. They are not tame and there is no room to place nesting bowls--this thread has a lot of pictures that show the space they chose for their nest, just for reference.

I can't use fake eggs without really scaring them, which I don't want to do. I don't want to cause them any stress and I don't want them to leave. And besides, I prefer to let them live their lives as nature intended and if they want to lay eggs and be parents, I don't want to interfere and take that away from them (they are very good parents).

Over-population is not really an issue, as they don't live in a coop--the squabs they raise fledge and have the whole city to live in.

As I explained in previous posts, I try to clean the nest whenever I have a chance, but until now there have always been at least one parent sitting on eggs and two squabs in the nest, 3 hatching cycles in a row, without pause, so it wasn't possible to clean. Obviously, when the first opportunity presents itself, I'll clean the nest.

Last edited by Friend John; 13th April 2019 at 08:22 AM..

Tags
baby pigeon, bad smell and bacteria, nest, rock pigeon, squab