Baby pigeon - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 24th June 2019, 08:43 AM

Baby pigeon

Hi all! Last Saturday I had a BIG surprise!!! It wasn't planned and honestly I don't know what happened (I always replace real eggs with fake eggs...well, not this time clearly 😅... ) but my pigeons Caterina and Ben have become parents!!

I found the egg shell near their home, I looked inside it and... I saw a beautiful baby!!!

I don't know when the egg hatched...I'm attaching three photos: I took the first one on Saturday, the second one yesterday and the third one this morning.

I cared about rescued baby pigeons but this is the first time my pigeons have their own baby...

All my pigeons have a varied and balanced diet, vitamins, probiotics, pickstones, ACV water, etc etc. Is there something else I should give to the parents?* How can I tell if everything is ok? Of course, I don't want to bother the parents... Lol I'm a bit apprehensive as every grandma...

My pigeon Caterina had a yeasts infection on September 2017. Ben was rescued by my brother when was a baby: he had respiratory issues (I don't know exactly what was wrong, I have never seen him when he was a baby), my brother successfully treated him. There could be any risk for the baby?

Any suggestion, advice would be greatly appreciated 😊!

Thanks in advance to everyone from Caterina, Ben and the baby!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190622_221129_1561385935196.jpg (991.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190624_161955_1561386010207.jpg (801.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190624_121547_1561386682464.jpg (1.39 MB, 90 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th June 2019, 01:12 PM
If they want a baby, they will find a way to get one. They are very clever.

Aggie is in mother mode - had laid two eggs (not fertilized) and is now nesting over them.

It does keep them quiet.
Posted 24th June 2019, 08:14 PM
Congrats on your new addition!

Posted 24th June 2019, 11:51 PM
Cute baby! Won't the newspapers be a bit slippery for the legs? I would rather add a few twigs on top of the newspaper, more natural and will give the baby something to grip on when he gets older. Just concerned about splayed legs.
Posted 25th June 2019, 06:16 AM
That is what they call an oops baby... he has had his first meal...

He will grow fast and then he will want a mate of his own, so you’ll want to get another pigeon for him or her..
Posted 25th June 2019, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garye2 View Post
If they want a baby, they will find a way to get one. They are very clever.

Aggie is in mother mode - had laid two eggs (not fertilized) and is now nesting over them.

It does keep them quiet. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Lol yes they tricked me 😂! Or maybe the stork brought him 🙄?!?
Posted 25th June 2019, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Congrats on your new addition!
Thanks so much, cwebster 😃!
Posted 25th June 2019, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Cute baby! Won't the newspapers be a bit slippery for the legs? I would rather add a few twigs on top of the newspaper, more natural and will give the baby something to grip on when he gets older. Just concerned about splayed legs.
Thanks so much Marina 😊!

I was asking myself the same thing...as the baby was not planned the nest is filled as usual with paper... So I'm concerned too about splayed legs... thanks so much for your advice, I'm going to look for some twigs, not so easy because in the city there are essentialy palms (we are on the Mediterranean but there is a real palm-mania...). Any other good option? Just in case I can't find some twigs...
Posted 25th June 2019, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
That is what they call an oops baby... he has had his first meal...

He will grow fast and then he will want a mate of his own, so you’ll want to get another pigeon for him or her..

Yes exactly he/she is an oops baby 😅!!!

My other pigeons are all paired but my brother has a few single pigeons...we will start a dating game...
Posted 25th June 2019, 07:42 AM
My old neighbors moved away months ago, they never complained about my pigeons. The new neighbors are going to move there soon, I heard them on the weekend. Here in France I live in an apartment, my pigeons are a bit noisy, the baby will start to cry too...so I'm worried about my new neighbors, they could maybe complain...

How could I soundproof the wall between the 2 apartments in an easy way? Any idea? Any similar experience? Thanks to all.
Posted 26th June 2019, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
My old neighbors moved away months ago, they never complained about my pigeons. The new neighbors are going to move there soon, I heard them on the weekend. Here in France I live in an apartment, my pigeons are a bit noisy, the baby will start to cry too...so I'm worried about my new neighbors, they could maybe complain...

How could I soundproof the wall between the 2 apartments in an easy way? Any idea? Any similar experience? Thanks to all.
If you could find big Styrofoam parts (say, if someone bought a new HD\4K TV), you could may secure them to the wall you share with your neighbour somehow. In general, Polystyrene foams such as Styrofoam can help muffle and reduce noise.

For the nest bedding, pine needles or olive branches with leaves could work, and pine trees are usually common enough.
Posted 26th June 2019, 04:56 PM

one or two?

Almost looks like two babies.
Posted 26th June 2019, 07:17 PM

Nesting for baby

As others have shared, splay legs will happen if the proper nesting material is not in place. True, twigs can be hard to come by as well as other materials. Even a small bowl low bowl can be used with nesting material added into it. Bits of straw and even collected feathers, leaves, etc. A batch of washcloths or fabric in the bottom can be used for traction and then shredded paper added on top can be found in pet stores by the bag for absorption. Often I will use small doggie pads for a base and then build on that as well. Here is a link to paper nesting bowls at Jedds. https://www.jedds.com/shop/disposabl...ted-nest-bowl/ Of course there are other pigeon supply stores you can find online too. Here is a youtube video on making your own bedding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GLtRGEjClM If you don't catch the splay legs in the first week of their life then it is far more difficult to save them. If splay leg does start, I bind the legs with a stretch bandaging, i.e. soft bracing, so as to help keep their legs under them. The ounce of prevention is truly worth several pounds of possible cure in this case. Best wishes for baby, parents and "Grand - Dove Ma"

Last edited by Bright Eyes; 26th June 2019 at 07:43 PM..
Posted 27th June 2019, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend John View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post

If you could find big Styrofoam parts (say, if someone bought a new HD\4K TV), you could may secure them to the wall you share with your neighbour somehow. In general, Polystyrene foams such as Styrofoam can help muffle and reduce noise.

For the nest bedding, pine needles or olive branches with leaves could work, and pine trees are usually common enough.

Thanks John. I went to do-it-yourself stores, they didn't have a wide range of products, just acoustic insulation rolls (see the pic) or cork panels. They said the rolls are better than cork panels. Have you ever seen them? My dad will install them as soon as possible...do you know how to install them? Should I remove the old wallpaper? On my wall I have a 3D wallpaper (the ones which can be painted).

I just found some pine needles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190627_164425_1561647976633.jpg (1.49 MB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190627_163458_1561648031157.jpg (932.7 KB, 57 views)
Posted 27th June 2019, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missH View Post
Almost looks like two babies.
There is just one baby...fortunately 😅.