Home sweet home - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 31st August 2018, 12:44 PM
Hi all, so my pigeon Bruna seems to love so much the "cottage" that we handmade. She loves spending time inside it, I think she is going to choose the home decor 😂.

I will be glad to explain how we made it if someone is interested in make one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20180826_152243_1535741121880.jpg (2.02 MB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P_20180826_152228_1535741138265.jpg (1.86 MB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st August 2018, 02:17 PM
That's the cutest thing I've seen all week. Is that where she prefers to spend time when she's out of the cage?
Posted 31st August 2018, 06:44 PM
Columbina, that is absolutely adorable! I love it!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 1st September 2018, 05:14 AM
That's so cute ^_^
Posted 1st September 2018, 09:12 AM
Lovely bird and cute house!
Posted 2nd September 2018, 08:13 AM
Thanks so much to everybody 😊 , I'm really glad to know that you like Bruna's home!
Posted 2nd September 2018, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend John View Post
That's the cutest thing I've seen all week. Is that where she prefers to spend time when she's out of the cage?

She uses to spend time there at different parts of the day (just for a rest - she loves looking around from her "balcony" - or for singing, etc); sometimes she sleeps inside it at night too. If one of my other pigeons tries to enter inside it she gets really angry 😠. She is thinking about replacing the "WELCOME" with "NO TRESPASSING" 😂.

Last edited by Colombina; 2nd September 2018 at 08:24 AM..
Posted 2nd September 2018, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colombina View Post
She uses to spend time there at different parts of the day (just for a rest - she loves looking around from her "balcony" - or for singing, etc); sometimes she sleeps inside it at night too. If one of my other pigeons tries to enter inside it she gets really angry 😠. She is thinking about replacing the "WELCOME" with "NO TRESPASSING" 😂.
Is she an indoor pigeon? I'm very curious about the logistics of growing an indoor pigeon (because sooner or later I'm probably going to get one). You mention that she sometimes stays inside that box at night; does that mean she gets to come and go as she pleases, including staying out of the cage at night? What can one do to manage the droppings if a pigeon gets the run of the house? Is there a way to prevent them from pooping in certain spots (besides a flight suit)? Do indoor pigeons fly into glass widows from the inside of the house? And how to prevent that from happening?
Posted 4th September 2018, 09:51 AM
Bruna and my other pigeons are all rescued/disabled, they are all "survivors". Bruna has a backward foot, when I rescued her she was poisoned and had a bad canker.

As they had a hard life I didn't feel like closing them in a cage so I have decided to keep them in a room. Of course, this is just my personal choice, not the best choice.

So, about the logistics (in case you decide to get one and to opt for this solution): remove all ornaments and fragile stuff; cover what needed with paper (I collect real estate magazines, supermarket flyers, etc) and plastic painting sheets (you know, the ones used to protect the floor and furniture when you paint ...the ones used by Dexter 😂 ) .

Flight suits could be a good idea, personally I have never tried them, I know that some people love them and that other hate them.

I have never had problems with glass windows because I have curtains (in any case, my pigeons never try to fly outside, I can see the happiness and the serenity in their eyes 😊 ) .
Of course, opting for this solution takes patience and a bit of "spirit of sacrifice" 😂 but it gives you much gratification. They become members of the family.

If needed, l can explain you everything about feeding and supplements.

Anyway, if you have any other questions you can ask 😊.

Last edited by Colombina; 4th September 2018 at 09:56 AM..
Posted 4th September 2018, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Bruna and my other pigeons are all rescued/disabled, they are all "survivors". Bruna has a backward foot, when I rescued her she was poisoned and had a bad canker.

As they had a hard life I didn't feel like closing them in a cage so I have decided to keep them in a room. Of course, this is just my personal choice, not the best choice.

So, about the logistics (in case you decide to get one and to opt for this solution): remove all ornaments and fragile stuff; cover what needed with paper (I collect real estate magazines, supermarket flyers, etc) and plastic painting sheets (you know, the ones used to protect the floor and furniture when you paint ...the ones used by Dexter 😂 ) .

Flight suits could be a good idea, personally I have never tried them, I know that some people love them and that other hate them.

I have never had problems with glass windows because I have curtains (in any case, my pigeons never try to fly outside, I can see the happiness and the serenity in their eyes 😊 ) .
Of course, opting for this solution takes patience and a bit of "spirit of sacrifice" 😂 but it gives you much gratification. They become members of the family.

If needed, l can explain you everything about feeding and supplements.

Anyway, if you have any other questions you can ask 😊.
Thank you for the information. I have so many questions but since nothing is imminent in regards to getting a pigeon, I won't bother you with then now. But I'll definitely contact you (if that's ok) for advice and more questions once things will get more serious. I live in an apartment building and my apartment has quite a few windows, so birds flying into them will definitely be a concern. My living arrangements also dictate that it'll have to be an indoor pigeon if I wanted to get one, since I won't have anywhere else to house it.

Anyway, my thinking is that if I'm ever to get one, it'll have to be a non-releasable bird in need, since I can't justify to myself keeping a bird indoors otherwise, if it could have a life outside with other pigeons and fly. So I'll also be open to a bird that can't fly due do a previous accident or attack. I inquire about the logistics because ideally I'd like the bird to roam free inside the house for as long as possible, and only lock it in the cage when I need to remove it for some reasons, like cleaning or cooking or whatever the case may be. But that's still some ways down the road. Thanks again for advice and information.
Posted 5th September 2018, 07:05 AM
Of course, you can contact me when you want for advices and questions, don't worry, you don't bother me. We are all here for sharing our experiences, helping each other and exchanging advices, opinions, etc 😊 .

Adopt a disabled pigeon would be an excellent decision, you could give him a good and happy life.

Of course, glass windows are dangerous for birds because they don't see them; just put curtains (you can find many kind of windows covering) at your windows to avoid the danger.

Have a nice day 😊 !
Posted 5th September 2018, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Of course, you can contact me when you want for advices and questions, don't worry, you don't bother me. We are all here for sharing our experiences, helping each other and exchanging advices, opinions, etc 😊 .

Adopt a disabled pigeon would be an excellent decision, you could give him a good and happy life.

Of course, glass windows are dangerous for birds because they don't see them; just put curtains (you can find many kind of windows covering) at your windows to avoid the danger.

Have a nice day 😊 !
That's strange about the glass widows, because the feral pigeons outside my window seem to notice them well enough. Will indoor pigeons never notice the glass, or is there an adjustment and learning period, after which they know not to fly into them? I often see recommendations on this board about placing a cage next to the window, so I was hoping that when taking the bird out after a while, it wouldn't fly into it. Of course, if I'll manage to find a disabled pigeon that can't fly this wouldn't be an issue.
Posted 7th September 2018, 08:40 AM
Sometimes feral pigeons fly into my glass windows (for example when I remove curtains because I'm cleaning the glasses).

Glass windows are transparent so birds see through them: they fly in that direction and crash into them. Or they see the reflection of something (like a tree) and crash...

Recently I replaced a furniture: the old one had a mirror (the new one doesn't have it): some of my pigeons (other than try to "interact" with the "pigeon living inside the mirror") tried to enter inside it because they saw the reflection of the room. I put some stickers on it and they learned that it was not possible becoming Alice...you could put on your glass windows some common stickers for windows (usually you can find them in do-it-yourself stores) or you could buy specific anti-collision stickers (you know, the bird silhouettes that you probably see when you drive in a motorway).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Collis..._1536330095755

I'm sure he will learn to avoid collision...

I have a broken wing pigeon, Apple.
Posted 7th September 2018, 09:02 AM
That's actually a very elegant solution, and much better than what I contemplated.

Regarding Apple, can she get off the ground at all, or does she just walk and hop all the time? I imagine her cage\nest would be closer to the ground, maybe with steps so she could hop up to and down from it? Once I'm ready, I wouldn't mind taking on a pigeon or dove like Apple, I think.
Posted 8th September 2018, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Thanks so much to everybody 😊 , I'm really glad to know that you like Bruna's home!
Super home!

Really shows the love & care you put into making it.

Good Luck