Indoors pigeons social relationships - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 8th January 2019, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira View Post
Sadly, I woke up to some mayhem today. The new pigeon had somehow gotten out of his cage and was free in the balcony and Blue was chasing and trying to peck it. Wasn't a huge deal, as it kept flying away, but this seems to mean it's either not a female, or they don't like each other. I've put it back in its cage now, but not having high hopes.

Thing is, the person I got it from wants to release it in spring. While it's not a tame pigeon, its chances aren't great. Same time, if it's a male, I can't keep it. Pretty sad right now .
Any pigeon kept in an area for a while will view that area as their own. It's very normal for that pigeon to chase out any others that venture in, whether male or female makes no difference. Even males trying to attract a certain female, will often chase her out when she ventures into their nest box. Their territorial drive is very strong. But they should be in actual cages that they cannot get through. Not impossible to build or fix something like that up.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 8th January 2019, 11:46 PM
It's true it wouldn't be hard to make that cage un-escapable, but now that Red got used to being relatively free (I still keep the balcony sealed when my other male is out), I feel bad to put it in a cage it obviously doesn't want to be in and which was to be a temporary solution only. The cage was built solely for Red to feel safe and it seems Red doesn't feel it needed.

Last night I attempted to put Red to sleep at least in its cage, it was already dark but I found it not 10 minutes after back to its chose place near Blue. I resorted to just moving its box there so at least it could sleep a bit away from the window, which is pretty cold at this time of the year. Happily, it accepted that part.

It's very easy for Red to escape Blue, since there are higher places it can go in the balcony, and Blue can't get to those. They do seem to spend their day in peace in proximity to each other, and I'm glad Blue gets some company that doesn't bite or is not inappropriate. I do let Honey go there when she is off the nest and they spend a couple of hours together just watching outside.
Posted 24th January 2019, 12:52 PM
After 3 weeks, I'm still unsure about Red's gender, but it might be another male, as both Blue and Coil seems slightly hostile towards him. I keep Blue and Red together in the balcony, as Red has no issues dealing with the minor hostility by just flying somewhere where Blue can't reach, and Coil is an ass to everybody basically, except his wife, who occasionally beats him, even if she's like half his size. The clamoring in the mornings has become impressive as Coil and Blue are competing in moaning harder. Red seems mostly quiet, and when he (or she) sings, it sounds a bit like a broken trumpet. He's either a she or is going through some adolescent voice changing.

I'm considering building a coop on top of the building when spring comes. I know there's a neighbour with the key up there and I'm thinking of approaching him. Both Blue and Red are not particularly friendly to humans.

Posted 24th January 2019, 01:12 PM
Sorry that Red and Blue keep beefing. We have a male/ female pair who fought for months. I put them in adjoining cages but every time Buzzy laid an egg, she would try to kill her mate. So i separated them back into adjoining cages each time until she lost interest in her eggs. Finally after about six months now they are getting along! She has stopped laying eggs for now ( as have all our birds) but i am so relieved that i dont have to keep separating them. So it is possible that you do have a male and female pair. Or two males? The only real way to tell without DNA testing is when they lay an egg. Hope they get along better soon. If Blue and Coil are a pair then Red will be a threat until he/she also has a friend/ mate ( we have a very happy female/ female pair). Three is an odd number.
Posted 24th January 2019, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I didn't explain my pigeon family: Coil and Honey are a mated pair for about a year (by the way, how did you manage to make them take a break from laying eggs, because I would like mine to take a break too, they lay a pair like clockwork every month). Blue is a pox rescue that can't fly anymore (had both his wings broken). I've been looking for a mate for him, as he's started showing interest in Honey, and I don't want to isolate him). That's how I got Red, which is a juvenile that I don't know what gender it is. I had some hopes in the start because Coil was courting Red, but I can't tell anymore. Red did accidentally fly in a room one day and since he's scared to land anywhere low, he went up on Coil's wardrobe, which didn't go too well, since Coil is extremely territorial and plucked a beakfull of Red's neck feathers.

For better or worse, even if they are not particularly friendly to each other, Blue generally tolerates Red and at least he's got some company, especially since now I miss during the day as well. Red is a very skittish bird, panics a lot. It's a rather small pigeon.
Posted 24th January 2019, 06:56 PM
Our pigeons thankfully have slowed down their egg laying over the past few years especially in the winter. One exception though is Lucy who lives with another female, Tracy. Lucy is still laying even in the winter. Hope Blue and Red end up paired.
Posted 29th January 2019, 01:34 PM
I'm starting to be convinced Red is a guy. The other day, he got into a fight with Coil when Coil tried to invade the "cage". While Red is usually extremely skittish, when I stuck my hand between them to separate them, he just kept pecking at my hand and trying to grab Coil's neck. Seems he's got a territory thing about the cage, which is weird, because he doesn't stay there aside from eating. He also started cooing at me when I stuck my hand in the cage to fill his food bowl.

Last 2 days he's also had several attempts of leaving the balcony and going exploring. Coil is usually chasing him back.

Sleeping habits in the balcony changed as well. Red is now electing to sleep on a ladder and Blue is sleeping on the window sill closest to Red. This is weird because Blue never slept away from his box from the day I gave it to him.

I am worried Blue will become depressed seeing another pigeon flying away from him.
Posted 17th February 2019, 05:52 AM
At this point, I'm pretty sure Red is a guy. He fights the other 2 male pigeons whenever he thinks they are invading his territory, which is his old "cage". He technically only eats there, but the place is also a safe haven against Blue, who can't fly there. Still, Blue and Red usually coexist pretty well. They also seem to band together against Coil, who changes his mind about invading the balcony when hearing both cooing. Red also tried to hit on Honey, but usually they are separated. I'm letting them out of the balcony on saturdays, when I clean there.

The confusing part is that when they are on the floor, Blue sometimes follows Red around cooing and bowing.

I made some changes in the balcony.

In the start, Blue had his nest box in the plants he would sleep in, and even if I arranged a similar one for Red, he didn't use it, and preferred sleeping on the window sill near Blue's box. At some point, not sure why, Red started sleeping on a ladder on the other side of the balcony, and Blue moved to sleep on the window sill near it.

I felt sorry for Blue looking a bit like a homeless person, so I built him a nest box in that spot, but after that, I thought about expanding his space and put a wooden plank between the sill and the ladder, which he enjoyed a lot, enough that he moved to sleep on it, under Red. So I installed another box there - except that he used it to get on top of the ladder, where he was extremely happy. Red, on the other hand, wasn't, as he lost his sleeping place, which Blue decided to defend like a madman. For a few nights. I made Red a temporary high place on top of a nightstand I placed in his cage, but he was migrating at night between that and the nest at the window, then on the nest under Blue.

Yesterday I lifted the nest on the window sill up on the wall. It was installed on the sill initially so Blue reaches it. Red found it pretty fast and seemed happy to sleep there.

Here's some pics. Red is changing his head feathers and looks a bit ragged and very spiky. He's the one in the nest near the window, and Blue is the one on the ladder.

http://oi65.tinypic.com/dvmukg.jpg
http://oi67.tinypic.com/aomf0i.jpg
http://oi65.tinypic.com/2cgbiol.jpg
Posted 17th February 2019, 01:04 PM
males don't really need a nest. Just a good perch. They prefer it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 17th February 2019, 01:30 PM
I know, and Blue just sleeps on the top of the ladder. I put a towel on it, for better grip, since the ladder is metalic. But the boxes make good perches and they poop in them, which makes them easy to clean.
Posted 17th February 2019, 05:46 PM
But they have to perch on the side of the basket. They are much more comfortable on a flat perch. When perched on the side wall of the basket, then they need to hold on tightly the whole time. Standing flat on a perch and not having to grip it to stand and perch is more comfortable for their feet, and a more natural position for them. Can always put a piece of newspaper under the perch to catch the poop. Tape it in place if need be.

Posted 2nd March 2019, 04:38 AM
I'll see about arranging perches then .

I'm unsure about how to proceed with my pigeons. I have 3 males, and the 2 "celibate" ones are making a lot of noise, probably calling for mates. They seem to have established some kind of peck order so the fighting is minimal: in the balcony, Blue and Red are masters, and Coil walks around carefully, when he actually is allowed in. If one of them comes to him, he flies to me. Red does try to attack Coil on my head, even if he is usually afraid of humans. Between Red and Blue, Blue is considered the "master" and Red flies away if Blue chases him. Red occasionally manages to escape the balcony, but Coil usually brings him back (much faster than I would ever manage).

Blue sings a lot to a pigeon from outside. Seems they have a daily visitor. I wonder if it's a lady, seems smaller. I do have pigeons (ferals) in the attic, might be one of those. Red occasionally paces the window sill, looking like he's trying to get out.

Considering I would get them mates, it's impossible for me to keep 6 pigeons in my apartment. Blue has no chances outside, being flightless, and Coil is way too tame, but Red is neither. The question is what would be best for him:
1. Try a "soft release". I feed the pigeons in my area, if he would learn to stick with that flock.
2. Try find him a breeder. The problem is birds that are not race worthy tend to end up in soup with those. I've seen people selling pigeon meat.
3. Try to build a coop on the top of my building. If it's a closed one, the risk is a neighbour getting there and hurting them. It's a large building, I don't know all my neighbours, and many people can't stand these birds.

I'm attracted to the build a coop idea, for my own pigeons to get some fresh air and sun. Honey has been sick every month since November when laying eggs: she gets flightless for a few days every time she lays, and almost immobile for a day or two. In January I found her under the bed, just lying on the floor, an egg rolled a small distance away. I do give her grit and calcium and vitamin D supplements, but... She laid one of the eggs small or not at all for the past few months. This month, she looked so dejected, sitting on the edge of the nest and just staring at the wall, that I decided to let her have a baby (I removed the 2nd egg, was abnormally small anyway). If I'm lucky, I'll have a potential wife for Blue, if not, I'll need to find a solution for both Red and the baby when he grows up. I figured if I can find a solution for one, I can apply it to 2.

Could use a bit of help in choosing how to proceed.
Posted 2nd March 2019, 03:01 PM
For one thing, Honey isn't getting enough calcium and vit. D3 if that is happening to her when she lays. That is why it happens. Grit isn't enough, oyster shell isn't enough, and the amound of D3 in bird vitamins isn't enough D3. She needs a good supplement that has just calcium and vit. D3. Like CalciBoost, or CalciVet, or similar. Eventually she will get egg bound and die if it isn't fixed.

Posted 2nd March 2019, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
For one thing, Honey isn't getting enough calcium and vit. D3 if that is happening to her when she lays. That is why it happens. Grit isn't enough, oyster shell isn't enough, and the amound of D3 in bird vitamins isn't enough D3. She needs a good supplement that has just calcium and vit. D3. Like CalciBoost, or CalciVet, or similar. Eventually she will get egg bound and die if it isn't fixed.
She is getting this: https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Zolcal-D1.aspx
However, I can't control how much she drinks of it. I've resorted to mixing her seed with another calcium supplement that I found here in the form of powder (using a bit of olive oil to make them stick), on top of her always getting Zolcal in her drinking water (not just when she lays eggs).
Posted 2nd March 2019, 05:48 PM
If you are giving her by the directions on the bottle then she may just always have a problem. If she doesn't take enough, then maybe make bread balls and soak them in it, and feed them to her by hand. That's really too bad, as it can eventually lead to her becoming egg bound.
As far as the other bird, if he is 100%, then a soft release may work with him.