Just adopted a rescue feral(?) pigeon he won't let us near him - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 22nd September 2018, 10:32 AM
Pic not clear for profile and the cage bar gets in the way. If he doesn't return to his cage, just wait till it gets dark, turn off the lights and pick him up.
Mix unsalted chopped peanuts in with his food so that he will eventually try them. Once he does he will love them. It's getting him to try them. From the picture at least, he seems healthy. Pretty.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd September 2018, 10:32 AM
Thank you!! Mini-update: I found Pippin’s medical history report in my car. It does actually say his right wing has a mild droop. It also says “no palpable crepitus” and that he has “poor lify when allowed to fly,” which we saw for ourselves.
Posted 22nd September 2018, 10:36 AM
The droop doesn't show in that picture. Maybe it was more so when they got him in? Tail also looks wide. Maybe part fan or garden fan. More pics at different angles would be great.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 23rd September 2018, 03:54 PM
Weekend update: we brought him out into the apartment, but he did not seem to be interested in exploring. When left alone he actually hid under the couch. I'll go back to leaving the crate open and allowing him to come and go at his own speed.

Last edited by nindit; 23rd September 2018 at 03:58 PM..
Posted 23rd September 2018, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nindit View Post
Weekend update: we brought him out into the apartment, but he did not seem to be interested in exploring. When left alone he actually hid under the couch. I'll go back to leaving the crate open and allowing him to come and go at his own speed.
Still, it is progress. Pigeons like hidey-holes because many are born in dark, sheltered areas.
Posted 23rd September 2018, 06:02 PM
If you can keep his cage in a room where you spend time, he will more readily get used to you. Cover it on three sides and leave the front open. If he has a shelf on one side of the cage, he can go there when he wants a bit of privacy. Put it up on a table or something to keep it up higher than floor level. They feel more secure higher up. Then you can open the crate and let him venture out when he wants to. If he is kept in another room, then he won't get used to having you around. Talk softly to him, and spend time near him.

If you want to introduce him to a companion later on, there will be no problem if you put the cages near each other and let them get used to each other. Getting a female would be better as she should get along with either gender. If yours is a male, and you have gotten a female, in a weeks time or less, they should show signs of being interested in each other. At that point you can let them both out together, supervised, and see what happens. Give them some time, then return them to their own cages. After a bit of doing this, they should be fine. Don't ever just put another bird in your birds cage, as he sees that as his territory, and will likely attack the new bird. You just need to go slow. If they are both females, they should get along fine. If both are males, they will likely fight and it won't work with them.

Posted 24th September 2018, 02:52 PM
Happy to report he bathed on his own! I left his crate door open with a dish of lukewarm water, and he sat in it. I gave him a bigger one and he splashed a little bit. I feel like this is huge!

However, I hear him sneezing quite a bit. It started before the bath. Is that bad?

Edit: I've also noticed recently that he kinda opens and closes his beak a lot, like quick little yawns or like he's smacking his "lips". He never holds his beak open like he's mouth-breathing or anything, but I'm paranoid that could be a bad sign as well. I'm also finally including a slightly better photo. It's been hard to to get a photo outside of his crate because he always retreats when I enter his line of sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 5.02.32 PM.jpg (85.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by nindit; 24th September 2018 at 03:05 PM..
Posted 24th September 2018, 05:38 PM
Could be homer or homer cross. Have you figured out a way to bring him in where you spend more time? They are flock birds and not good for them to be alone.

Posted 24th September 2018, 07:37 PM
Beautiful bird!
Posted 24th September 2018, 08:17 PM
Thank you!! I think he just attempted flight, perhaps with the idea of exploring, but he clearly has very poor lift and can’t take off from the ground. Maybe that’s inhibiting him a bit?
Posted 24th September 2018, 10:31 PM
Yes, I'm sure it is. It's very hard for a bird to lose their flight. It's really their only source of protection. They do adjust in time, but they have lost an awful lot.

Posted 27th September 2018, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Could be homer or homer cross.
Homers, tumblers, messengers, racers, fancies, and white doves are all the same species: Rock Dove, or your common city pigeon. Different breeds, yes (because they are selectively bred by humans), but not a different species, such as the spinifex pigeon or the Nicobar pigeon. Release any of the Rock Dove breeds with all of their phenotypes that have been enhanced or reduced by humans, and their appearance would return to the species standard within about 3 generations.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Rock Dove. They make great (attention-hogging) pets. Smart as a whip!

Last edited by navamanas; 27th September 2018 at 06:50 PM..
Posted 1st October 2018, 04:50 PM
Update: I just came back from a trip (my husband was taking care of him while I was gone) and first thing I did was clean his cage. He slapped me, and when that didn't work he began snapping his beak pretty menacingly. Later when he let his cage he made for the window like he wanted to fly away. I can't help but feel more certain that he needs a different environment.

We are moving into a larger apartment where he will be elevated (his cage is on the floor right now) and have a better view of the outdoors. He really seems to hate/fear us and to want to actually BE outside. If not for his wing I'd try to release him. I'm thinking about the nearest animal sanctuary, though.
Posted 1st October 2018, 07:59 PM
Please just be patient and give him time. He will get friendlier. The pugeon brain is not really large and defending their cage makes sense when they are a prey animal and have not seen you for a while. I think if you are patient you will have a friend for life.
Posted 1st October 2018, 09:44 PM
You haven't had him for very long, and you have been gone for a while. I think maybe his accepting you just isn't going fast enough for you. It won't happen over night. And you need to spend a lot of time around him. He needs to be in a room where you spend lots of time, in order for him to get used to you. It doesn't happen over night. It takes time for him to learn to trust you. And he needs time out of cage each day for exercise and interaction. Earning the trust of a bird takes a lot more time and work than a dog or kitten.

Tags
feral, injured wing, pigeon adoption, rescue