My Dove - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 1st June 2019, 08:48 AM

My Dove

After months of searching, I finally got my dove yesterday. Shes a 7 week old ringeck-collared hybrid. Gave her a couple of hours to acclimate when we got home. Since then, we’ve been inseperable. Loves to sit on my shoulder or lap and be petted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5327A26-E9CA-48F0-9808-E2FBA0AB8687_1559400382521.jpg (56.2 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st June 2019, 09:08 AM
Beautiful dove! Hope she will have a long and happy life with you.
Posted 1st June 2019, 01:46 PM
She is really lovely 😍!

Posted 1st June 2019, 07:41 PM
Congrats! Gorgeous bird.
Posted 2nd June 2019, 04:59 PM
Birds make wonderful pets! Nice dove!
Posted 3rd June 2019, 06:09 PM
Thx all!

I can't understand why more people don't have doves as companion pets. Sweet and w/o the screech. Doves seem to be rare compared to parrots. I've never met anyone with a companion dove or saw somebody walking around with one on their shoulder.

I had the breeder clip her wings for safety. Read it was good to do for the first 6 months while taming so they don't crash into things. I didn't know how tame she was until I got her home. I feel a little bad about the clipping but I lost a cockatiel when I was a kid (brother let it out) on xmas eve. Broke my heart. Don't want that happen again. I'd like to teach to fly to me if I let her flights grow back. I can get a harness and leash for excursions. Anyone try those?
Posted 9th June 2019, 07:44 PM
My dove had a couple firsts.

We went for a long walk around the hood. She jumped off my shoulder 4 or 5 times (which she didn’t do at hm) but Im sure she’ll get use to it. Was always careful to keep her safe. I was suprised by peeps reaction...she was a sensation. I wanted a pet that I could do outings with but I wasn’t counting on the attention. I guess parading around town with a dove on one’s shoulder is a bit eccentric. I think a parrot would be less unusual.

It was warm today...finally. Gave her a bath. She wanted out at first but then quickly got into it ducking under and lifting her wings to get her pits splashed. Adorable.

Im a happy dad. I She seems really happy too.

A wild dove landed by the window. She totally gave him the eye. He responded by cooing. My baby is too young to date!

Now I need to name her...having the hardest time. Contenders...Sweety Bird, Honey, Sandy, Daphne. Feel free to weigh in and play “Name That Bird!”.
Posted 10th June 2019, 05:02 AM
I have the exact same problem with my little 10 1/2 month old chick. I just can't decide on a name. They definitely make wonderful pets. Don't worry too much if she seems easily startled, struggly, or stubborn. Babies are just like that. You could try using ear scratches ad an incentive for behaving. It works surprisingly well.
Posted 10th June 2019, 07:00 AM
Yeah, birds love to be scratched where they can't reach it. My Aggie, a pigeon, loves it around the neck and on top of her shoulders.

Birds love baths - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Posted 10th June 2019, 07:39 AM
Do you think that's what it means when they raise a wing while they're being listed? My little Pidgey does that all the time. He's a 19 year old ringneck dove.
Posted 10th June 2019, 07:41 AM
Oops. Meant to type misted. Oh, I see. Autocorrect struck again!! 😆😆😆
Posted 11th June 2019, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveSearcher View Post
My dove had a couple firsts.

We went for a long walk around the hood. She jumped off my shoulder 4 or 5 times (which she didn’t do at hm) but Im sure she’ll get use to it. Was always careful to keep her safe. I was suprised by peeps reaction...she was a sensation. I wanted a pet that I could do outings with but I wasn’t counting on the attention. I guess parading around town with a dove on one’s shoulder is a bit eccentric. I think a parrot would be less unusual.

It was warm today...finally. Gave her a bath. She wanted out at first but then quickly got into it ducking under and lifting her wings to get her pits splashed. Adorable.

Im a happy dad. I She seems really happy too.

A wild dove landed by the window. She totally gave him the eye. He responded by cooing. My baby is too young to date!

Now I need to name her...having the hardest time. Contenders...Sweety Bird, Honey, Sandy, Daphne. Feel free to weigh in and play “Name That Bird!”.

Lol, yes, choose a name is always complicated even for me!

So I'm going to play at "Name That Bird". I like Daphne, mythological names are charming!

Another reason: Rebecca, the great film directed by Hitchcock, is based on the novel "Rebecca" by Daphne Du Maurier! So it's also a name of an interesting author!

I'm very curious to hear others opinions!

Last edited by Colombina; 11th June 2019 at 01:40 PM..
Posted 11th June 2019, 07:35 AM
Yeaterday was our first relatively hot day of summer. Gave my dove a cool but not cold bath when I got hm to cool her dn. This time she didnt like it and wanted out. Maybe cuz she prefers wam water? Swished her tail at me after which I’m beinning to think is dove body language for expressing aggitation/irritation.

I live upstairs. I open the windows when gone and am hoping she can tolerate the heat. I hear they can. Saw a lot of feral Collareds in Palm Springs which gets hades-hot but it was cool when I was there...summer heat hadnt begun yet.

Put bird seed outside her widow in hopes of attracting birds to entertain her during the day while Dad is at work.

Last edited by DoveSearcher; 11th June 2019 at 07:49 AM..
Posted 11th June 2019, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Put bird seed outside her widow in hopes of attracting birds to entertain her during the day while Dad is at work.
Oh I love it! But they do find plenty of things to watch. A house is being built next to mine. My pigeon doesn't like it (I don't either but I can't do anything about it). She grunts at the workmen (not that they care - they can't see her nor hear her) but she does express her dislike of what they're doing.

I do like the name of Daphne by-the-way. A good choice from Colombina.
Posted 12th June 2019, 05:49 AM
She sounds adorable. You got lucky with a gentile bird. So cute!