My pet pigeon Lukas - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 20th October 2019, 07:28 PM
Unhappy

My pet pigeon Lukas

I have a pigeon named Lukas. I love him so much, but he absolutely hates me. Whenever I put my hand in his cage, he bites me and starts puffing up his feathers to look bigger. So I always take him out of his cage against his own will. I tried hand feeding him, but he refuses to eat from my hand. I am trying to make a bond with him so that I can teach him to fly to me. I have seen people on YouTube hand feed pigeons, and the pigeons always took the food. But Lukas never did that.
I think it has something to do with the fact that my neighbor gave him to me. Mom says that he was taught by his mom and dad to avoid people. I get that, because Lukas was wild when I got him. But even now when I am nice to him, he still hates me. I want to give him rewards, but how can I give them to him when he doesn't want them? I am teaching his to fly to shoulder by my command, but he isn't cooperating and yesterday he flew to the roof of my house. I clipped his wings, but just so that he could fly, just not to the roof of my house. He likes sitting on my shoulder, but after I put him in his cage, he starts trying to bite and look bigger again. I don't think he really likes me, like a pet should.
Plz send help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th October 2019, 07:52 PM
Our first pigeon Phoebe was an injured feral. We tamed her by putting toys into her cage...she would bite them and it became a game. To get her to eat out of our hands, we gave her chopped peanuts. Would not take your bird outside where she can fly up to the roof. Would let his wings grow out because clipped wings make any bird feel insecure. Would just be patient and make friends with your bird. Phoebe also loved orange flavored parakeet seed treats. Hope your bird is friendlier soon. It just takes time and patience.
Posted 20th October 2019, 10:17 PM
Was Lukas handraised as a baby? If not, he might never bond to you. It's cruel to keep only 1 pigeon and expect him to bond with you like a dog or a cat.

Never put your hand in his cage. That is his territory and he is just defending it. Rather let him come out by himself and then clean the cage. As cwebster has said, they like chopped up raw peanuts. First put some in his food and once he starts eating them, offer it from your hand.

If you really want to keep him, rather adopt him a mate. Do a slow introduction and you will have a very happy pigeon.

Posted 21st October 2019, 05:37 AM
I never thought of getting him a mate. I don't know what my parents would say, but I really hope that I can get him at least something.
Posted 21st October 2019, 11:06 AM
I think it is very cruel for a pigeon to be alone for the rest of his life. No human can ever replace the company of another pigeon. Do you know they mate for life? If you can't get him a mate, then rather consider getting him adopted.
Posted 21st October 2019, 12:29 PM
There is only one way to remove the absolute hate that Lukas has for you. Do not feed Lukas for 24 hours (let him starve for a day, but give him water). The next day, when you offer him your hand full of seed, he will fly to your hand and eat. You may have to throw a pea his way to entice him to come to you. He will absolutely love you, and you'll will become best mates.
Posted 21st October 2019, 02:39 PM
What treats should I give Lukas? All I have are sunflower seeds. Do you think that he would like those?
Posted 21st October 2019, 02:42 PM
Pigeons love Peanuts pieces. (No salt)
Posted 21st October 2019, 02:44 PM
I didn't adopt Lukas from a pigeon center. My neighbor gave him to me. He said that I could have him. I got Lukas when He still had that fuzz all over him. When I was snuggling with him for the first time, he clung on my arm and wouldn't get off. Lukas was raised by pigeon parents. My neighbor breeds pigeons.
Posted 21st October 2019, 02:46 PM
I think we still have some peanuts. Mom got some peanuts for peanut butter a while ago. I hope he likes peanuts.

Just curious, but would a pigeon eat peanut butter?
Posted 21st October 2019, 02:54 PM
By the way, Marina B, once he flies again, it will probably be winter for us. That is when the Mourning Doves come to our state, Pennsylvania. I used to have a pigeon named Henry. That was my first pigeon. He would fly on top of my house roof and all the female Mourning Doves would come and sit with him. Everyone in our family would laugh about it, because he always was puffed up and his cheat looked big. He wasn't attacking the doves, and his head was always high. Do you think that he was trying to attract a mate?
Posted 21st October 2019, 09:47 PM
Sounds to me as if he was a bit scared of the doves. Puffed up to make himself look bigger for protection. Don't feed him peanut butter. Raw, chopped up unsalted peanuts, they just love it. But only as a treat, because of the high fat content.
Posted 22nd October 2019, 03:04 PM
Well...he flew away because he found a mate, and that is how I lost him.
Posted 22nd October 2019, 03:05 PM
I will post a pic of Lukas.
Posted 22nd October 2019, 10:02 PM
Please do and also the cage where you keep him.

Tags
pet pigeons and doves