Not Eating - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 17th June 2019, 04:31 PM

Not Eating

I have been handrasing a roller pigeon since day five. He’s healthy, growing and always been a good eater. Lately he begs for food but won’t eat and if he does it’s not near as much as he had been eating. It started around day 14 and had just been getting worse. Around the same time he showed interest in solid food so I began offering some with his formula to encourage eating. He acts interested in both but still won’t take much. Today he refused formula altogether. He’s 19 days old today. He ate once today but refused his lunch. Again he asks for food but won’t eat it. I tried adjusting temperature (a little warmer or cooler) and consistency but no change. He shows no signs of stress or illness so I’m just baffled. I wonder if the fact that he’s older means he eats less.( not so much rapid growth), I’m just concerned about the change in food intake and wonder if I should be. I have no concerns about his health though.(great feathers, alert , healthy eyes and beak. No crop issues.Naps intermittently, preens, watches me work) Is reduced food intake and frequency of feeding normal at this age. Will he still beg even though he doesn’t need to eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th June 2019, 05:27 PM
Hi, you can try drinking water leave some in your mouth put some feed in your mouth and try force it into the babys mouth with the water i have done this many times or try and use a syringe you will have to cut off the tip of the syringe so you can force the feed thru it Beachwood

Last edited by beachwood45789; 17th June 2019 at 06:16 PM..
Posted 18th June 2019, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwood45789 View Post
Hi, you can try drinking water leave some in your mouth put some feed in your mouth and try force it into the babys mouth with the water i have done this many times or try and use a syringe you will have to cut off the tip of the syringe so you can force the feed thru it Beachwood
That sounds like a fantastic way to cause aspiration pneumonia.
If you need to force feed a bird, tube feeding is the safest way to go. A rehabber or vet should be able to teach you. Or just pop frozen peas into their mouth.

Monitor the babies weight; if he’s losing you have a problem, if not he’s eating the appropriate amount. If he’s acting normal I wouldn’t be too worried, and i certainly wouldn’t just start force feeding. Seeds take longer to digest than formula, so he’ll stay full longer. And yes, baby pigeons start screaming for food non-stop without being hungry at a certain age.

Posted 21st June 2019, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwood45789 View Post
Nope nope nope... bacteria in the mouth is harmful to pigeons.
Posted 21st June 2019, 06:02 AM
You have to peck at a dish of pigeon grains with your fingers, let him see you do this.. like his parents would and pop one in the back of his throat, then repeat , leave the feed in his cage with his water, grown pigeons when they eat only drink a few times a day, usually after they eat their pigeon feed. Make sure you are offering the right grains and legumes.
Posted 8th July 2019, 05:52 PM
I have the same issue with a feral pigeon I am fostering. Have you noticed the bird eating differently yet? My little guy is acting normal with the exception of eating. It is concerning. I cannot figure out how to open its beak enough to get seeds in. Have you had success with this?
Posted 9th July 2019, 09:22 AM
He’s fully weaned now. Because he would always refuse the formula I just stopped offering it. Just a bowl of solid food. He eventually started swallowing food instead of just playing with it.