Only one egg laid - Deslorelin implant complication? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 22nd April 2019, 11:24 PM

Only one egg laid - Deslorelin implant complication?

Hello,

I could really use your help:

How does the ovulation/process of egg development work in pigeons?
Does the hen ovulate only one egg at a time, and after she has the first egg she starts developing the next?
Or are both the eggs ovulated at approx. the same time?

My adopted pet hen, Poka, has had egg binding issues twice last year, so the vet implanted her with Deslorelin last september.

The implant started wearing off so she had another Deslorelin implant last Wednesday, but she laid an egg on Friday...

I am worried because she has not laid a second one yet.
The vet told me that it is possible the implant started working so she won't lay a second one (but five minutes into the same discussion he told me it takes 2-3 weeks for the implant to start working)...

Also, the vet assured me after a psysical exam and a radiography that Poka doesn't have an egg so it is safe to implant the Deslorelin, yet only 48 hours later she laid an egg...

I am really confused and sadly this is the only vet center in my country that does Deslorelin implants on birds.

Could you please help me?

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd April 2019, 07:49 AM
Our pigeon Phoebe had three deslorelin implants but never laid more eggs. One of our females now Fiona who is older just lays one egg at a time. Does your vet have ultrasound? I imagine any retained egg would show there. Hope your female does well. Phoebe had to have the implants because she had internal xanthomatosis and laying would kill her. It is possible the deslorelin suppressed a second egg...since the first was already in the works, she laid it. But i am not a vet.
Posted 24th April 2019, 09:39 AM
Thank you so much for your reply, cwebster!

I do remember reading your posts about wonder pigeon Phoebe's deslorelin implants, because of her egg binding issues caused by her xhantomatosis. I also remember reading about her special diet and about Fiona's egg laying.
Your threads have been particularly helpful when I had to implant Poka last year.

The vet center doesn't have ultrasound or radiography, so they collaborate with another vet center that has them, but unfortunately they told me they don't do ultrasounds for such small animals 😞
I live in Romania, where it's extremely rare to find a vet that has some experience with birds. And the medical resources are scarce...

I guess I will just have to wait and see, but I love that little pij to pieces and am worried about her 😞

She seems fine, eating and drinking as usual, preening, but she does seem a little more sleepier. I don't know if it's the implant kicking in (she did become sleepier when her first implant started to work) or if she is having some sort of egg binding issue again.

The explanation of the second egg beeing supressed by the implant does make sense, I sure hope that's what happened and that she will be ok!

Thank you again for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Kind regards to you and Fiona 🙂

Roxana