Pigeon Bully! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > Pet Pigeons And Doves

Posted 22nd December 2018, 02:33 AM

Pigeon Bully!

I have 3 pigeons at the moment, two boys and one girl.
Pigwidgeon and Hedwig are in a pair, and the third pigeon, Errol, is currently a single pigeon.
Pigwidgeon is constantly chasing and pecking and being ruthless towards Errol, for no reason at all - chasing him away from food, not letting him enter the loft... it’s horrible to watch. 😞
Would Pigwidgeon stop being such a bully if I were to get Errol a female pigeon to pair with, or is it still likely that he would continue to pick on him?
Errol doesn’t fight back at all from what I see, they just run in circles around the coop in a mad chase...
What can I do to fix this issue?
I don’t want to give Pigwidgeon away as he was handraised and I’m attached to him even if he is quite mean, and I’d feel bad giving Errol away as he’s done nothing wrong and it would mean letting Pigwidgeon win... 😕
What should I do?

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd December 2018, 09:40 AM
Three pigeons mean that one doesnt have a mate. I imagine your mated male is trying to keep the competition away from his beloved. Getting another female sounds reasonable but i will defer to someone more expert than me who will likely respond soon.
Posted 22nd December 2018, 10:44 AM
Yes, get him a female!

Posted 22nd December 2018, 08:17 PM
Thumbs down

dual at high noon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
I have 3 pigeons at the moment, two boys and one girl.
Pigwidgeon and Hedwig are in a pair, and the third pigeon, Errol, is currently a single pigeon.
Pigwidgeon is constantly chasing and pecking and being ruthless towards Errol, for no reason at all - chasing him away from food, not letting him enter the loft... itís horrible to watch. 😞
Would Pigwidgeon stop being such a bully if I were to get Errol a female pigeon to pair with, or is it still likely that he would continue to pick on him?
Errol doesnít fight back at all from what I see, they just run in circles around the coop in a mad chase...
What can I do to fix this issue?
I donít want to give Pigwidgeon away as he was handraised and Iím attached to him even if he is quite mean, and Iíd feel bad giving Errol away as heís done nothing wrong and it would mean letting Pigwidgeon win... 😕
What should I do?

Thank you for any advice.
dear scruffy,there is a pecking order and a hierarchy-must be maintained for the alpha male,and female.-this is behavior that even humans cannot avoid..place errol in his own quarters {cage}or their will be a bad outcome..sorry,james waller
Posted 22nd December 2018, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswaller View Post
dear scruffy,there is a pecking order and a hierarchy-must be maintained for the alpha male,and female.-this is behavior that even humans cannot avoid..place errol in his own quarters {cage}or their will be a bad outcome..sorry,james waller
Thank you for your reply,
I am extremely confused right now. Today, Pigwidgeon was doing the usual - chasing Errol around, but then something changed. Pigwidgeon started fanning his tail out and dragging it along the ground, like he was courting! Then Errol, who I was 100% convinced was a male, crouched down like he was letting Pigwidgeon mate! Is this just a sign of submission in general, or is the former what is really going on?

The reason why I was convinced Errol was a boy, was because I started out with just Errol and Hedwig. The seller said they were male and female, and they seemed to pair up. I saw them attempting to mate (though there were never any eggs...). I've read about homosexuality in pigeons, so could that have been a possibility? That they were both female but since they were the only pigeons they paired up?

Then I got Pigwidgeon as a 2 week old baby that was handraised as his parents disappeared. One day Errol disappeared, and he was gone for a few months. During this time, Hedwig and Pigwidgeon paired up and have laid 2 clutches of eggs (however both clutches were infertile). Then Errol appeared again out of nowhere, and that's when Pigwidgeon started bullying him.

That's all their history, so I really am shocked to see Errol act as a female. Now that I think of it though, Errol has never really shown much male behaviour. When Pigwidgeon attacks him, he is always very submissive. He doesn't coo, he doesn't strut and spin... (I doubt that breeds have much to do with this, but Errol and Hedwig are both Turkish Tumblers, whereas Pigwidgeon is a racing pigeon).

Please let me know what you think!
Posted 22nd December 2018, 10:43 PM
How large is the loft? How many perches and nest boxes. Hard to know from here what gender they are, but yes, they should both be paired if you can figure it out.

As far as the suggestion to separate errol to his own quarters, well that makes no sense. Pigeons do live in a loft together as long as there is enough room for all of them. Where he was gone for a while, the other pair have come to view the whole place as their territory. They will need to get used to other birds being there, but they will. If the aggressive one is doing this a lot, then he should be removed for a while, and then he can be returned later. Sometimes takes a couple or few weeks to give him an attitude adjustment. I have one removed right now for the same reason. It does usually help. But it would be helpful to understand your set up.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 24th December 2018, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
How large is the loft? How many perches and nest boxes. Hard to know from here what gender they are, but yes, they should both be paired if you can figure it out.

As far as the suggestion to separate errol to his own quarters, well that makes no sense. Pigeons do live in a loft together as long as there is enough room for all of them. Where he was gone for a while, the other pair have come to view the whole place as their territory. They will need to get used to other birds being there, but they will. If the aggressive one is doing this a lot, then he should be removed for a while, and then he can be returned later. Sometimes takes a couple or few weeks to give him an attitude adjustment. I have one removed right now for the same reason. It does usually help. But it would be helpful to understand your set up.
My coop is about nearly 2 metres long and 1 metre and a bit high. I have a grill that I can put in the middle to divide the coop into 2, which is what I do when I have a new pigeon that I’m training to home. I have 2 ledges and I have 1 nesting box which Pigwidgeon and Hedwig are using to lay their eggs. (Checked the eggs and they are fertile! Yay!)
I have 2 nesting bowls, one in the nesting box that is used by Pigwidgeon and Hedwig, and the other one is on one of the ledges. There’s also a small spot on top of the nesting box where Errol likes to sit.
Pigwidgeon’s been a bully even as a squeaker. He would chase Hedwig and Errol away from the food and whenever he felt like it. It was kind of funny, seeing a small, yellow-fuzzed thing chasing the two bigger pigeons around while squeaking. 😛

I really wish there would be a way to tell if Errol is male or female... I’ve checked all over the internet but pigeons are difficult. Behaviour is your best bet, but it’s no use when Errol has showed signs of being both a cock and a hen!
Posted 24th December 2018, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Quote:

My coop is about nearly 2 metres long and 1 metre and a bit high. I have a grill that I can put in the middle to divide the coop into 2, which is what I do when I have a new pigeon that I’m training to home. I have 2 ledges and I have 1 nesting box which Pigwidgeon and Hedwig are using to lay their eggs. (Checked the eggs and they are fertile! Yay!)
I have 2 nesting bowls, one in the nesting box that is used by Pigwidgeon and Hedwig, and the other one is on one of the ledges. There’s also a small spot on top of the nesting box where Errol likes to sit.
Pigwidgeon’s been a bully even as a squeaker. He would chase Hedwig and Errol away from the food and whenever he felt like it. It was kind of funny, seeing a small, yellow-fuzzed thing chasing the two bigger pigeons around while squeaking. 😛

I really wish there would be a way to tell if Errol is male or female... I’ve checked all over the internet but pigeons are difficult. Behaviour is your best bet, but it’s no use when Errol has showed signs of being both a cock and a hen!
Forgot to add - along with the 2 ledges there are 2 perches.
Posted 24th December 2018, 08:29 PM
You have said 2 meters long, so about 6 1/2 feet long, and maybe 3 1/2 feet high. But you haven't said how wide it is. Can you post a picture of it? You also need a nest box for each male, and more perches than there are birds. Not a good time of year to be hatching babies if it is cold where you are.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 24th December 2018, 08:35 PM
Quote:
You have said 2 meters long, so about 6 1/2 feet long, and maybe 3 1/2 feet high. But you haven't said how wide it is. Can you post a picture of it? You also need a nest box for each male, and more perches than there are birds. Not a good time of year to be hatching babies if it is cold where you are.
I live in Australia, so it’s summer 🙂
Oops, forgot to say the depth - I’d say almost a metre deep (or wide)
Posted 24th December 2018, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I live in Australia, so it’s summer 🙂
Oops, forgot to say the depth - I’d say almost a metre deep (or wide)
I’ll try and post a picture 🙂
Posted 25th December 2018, 10:37 AM
They will need more places to perch on, as the third pigeon sitting on top of their box will even annoy the male of that box. Any place to put up shelves or flat perches or anything?